Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #181

My hands are the smallest you could find in adults, lol. K-r feels good to me. But i honestly think size wise KR k30 k5 are all gonna be fine

I noticed even on the Asian market k30 doesn't have extremely girly colors like pink anymore. The most girly is the red. It also looks more muscular.

07-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #182
Veteran Member

Since when is pink extremely girly?

When Did Girls Start Wearing Pink? | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian Magazine
QuoteQuote:
a June 1918 article from the trade publication Earnshaw's Infants' Department said, “The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.”
07-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #183

I'd love to see one of you guys actually own a pink Pentax
07-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #184
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by junototoro Quote
I'd love to see one of you guys actually own a pink Pentax
I can get close. I ordered the Orange.

07-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #185

Orange isn't girly... It's sunny.. my husband got an orange underwater Panasonic too.,

I want a black camera now since pink isnt great for secret street photos ...
07-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #186
Pentaxian

how about the grey/silver variant?
07-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #187

B&H doesn't have the silver version k-5 anymore ... Black is ok. After getting so much attention with the pink one..... I don't mind black at all -.-
07-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #188
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am going to get the red one that looks like the 645.

That is if I can find it.

When I am able to find the money

Then when my wife allows me.

07-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #189
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
Can I ask, other than button placement, what exactly is inferior ergonomically with the K-30 vs. the K-5? Does the K-30 not work for your ergonomically taken by itself, i.e. not in comparison to the K-5? Wen you talk about the weight difference, does the K-30 feel "too light", keeping in mind that is a subjective thing and that for some purposes, lighter is better.
Well for it's build quality (not comparing it to the K-5 or even 7D) it's not too light. It feels a bit heavier than the T2i or K100D.. not sure about a D7000, probably fairly close. I would say it feels more rugged than a T2i, K100 or D7000, but not as comfortable. Simply the shutter button feels like a stretch.. and the +/- and green button can only be operated by your right hand if you have a double or triple jointed index finger. Lacking a few other buttons around the camera is minor considering this camera's price point and intended target.. I simply think that for the $200 more, one would be better off with a K-5 unless they have bad arthritis or simply cannot lug the sturdy rugged, even though slightly heavier more ergonomic K-5 around.. Ergonomics is HUGE, if your camera does not feel comfortable to use, you will end up carrying it less, or simply putting it down/away sooner.
07-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #190

Just ordered a k-5 from b&h worrying it'll be out of shops soon, as a reward for myself of getting a verbal job offer today........lol
07-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
Can I ask, other than button placement, what exactly is inferior ergonomically with the K-30 vs. the K-5? Does the K-30 not work for your ergonomically taken by itself, i.e. not in comparison to the K-5? Wen you talk about the weight difference, does the K-30 feel "too light", keeping in mind that is a subjective thing and that for some purposes, lighter is better.
My advise is to take such feedback on so called ergonomics with a pinch of salt.
There are users who are pretty adaptable, and there are those who aren't.
Then there are big hands that like big cameras and small hands that don't and a swap of those preferences.

Having tried one during a recent Pentax outing, I did not find any issue with the button placements though my lousy brain did need a bit of re-wiring on where the +/- and green button were (too used to the K7/K5 arrangements)
I found the grip to deep, but absolutely loved the more tacky rubberized grip areas. Others at the outing loved the grip... (so like I said just take all these with a pinch of salt)
07-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #192
Veteran Member

Honestly, it looks only a little more squared off/bulky than the K-5, which doesn't feel overly big or difficult to get around to my medium-large hands. There's some definite learning to do (green button in a different place from my K-x, two wheels), but that's to be expected with any new camera. A T3i shooter who works at my office (a woman with smaller hands) remarked when she picked it up: "The grip is SO comfortable!" She also mentioned how light it was compared to her T3i. If you look at the cameras side by side (on that comparator site), it looks like they made the grip 1mm taller, and pushed the trigger out about 3mm. I can see how the green button might be a little hard to access, even compared to where it is on the K-r. If you're coming from a K-x or K-r, the layout will be familiar.

Really, I think that says a lot. Pentax wants people to move from the K-x and K-r to the K-30, thus why the controls layouts are so similar. They took that layout, stretched it out a little, added a few more controls, but kept everything where those folks were used to it. . . .meaning those who came from a K-r to the K-30 will find the transition natural. I'm sure the K-3's layout will be similar to the K-5's (or identical, jeeez how many more buttons could they possibly add?).
07-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #193
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You answered your own question with the article you linked. 1940s.
07-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #194
Veteran Member

Regardless of the ergonimic differences, performance wise it is very close to the K-5 with every-so-slightly better AF. 1 FPS lower burst rate, a little lower Dynamic Range and High ISO capabilities for a smaller, lighter yet still WR'd camera with SR. I think the K-30 at it's price point (maybe a touch lower) will do very well, especially with them pushing the weather sealing and selling it packaged with a 18-135 WR or 18-55/50-200 WR's.

I just having come from the K-5, would opt for another K-5 over the K-30.. after all the glass you end up wanting isn't the WR's it's the DA*, FA Ltd, DA Ltd series anyways. At least the DA* line is sealed.
07-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junototoro Quote
Just ordered a k-5 from b&h worrying it'll be out of shops soon, as a reward for myself of getting a verbal job offer today........lol
I find it odd that you bought from B&H fro $900 when you can get one from a local store in OZ for 1050. By the time you pay for shipping from B&H you're getting close to that price anyway and you don't get a local warranty.

I sold both of my K-5's a while ago thinking the replacement was about to show but I mistimed it. I bought a Nikon D800E and have had a hell of a time finding lenses that are up to the task. I'm thinking of buying another K-5 though as I have way too many lenses going to waste right now and can't seem to let go of them. I don't imagine a K-5 replacement showing up in stores until November frankly and I doubt I can wait that long.

* I'm also not sure if a 24MP sensor is going to be an improvement either. Once the airy disc size is as big as the pixel size on a high density sensor you're going to see images that are pretty soft wide-open and only sharp in a narrow F-stop range even on formally 'decent' lenses. 24MP on APS-C represents the wall I feel. Unless the K-5 replacement is larger format they're going to have to concentrate on features like articulated screens, Focus Peaking, Focus Bracketing.. etc etc.. but n the end, it's the image quality that really counts.