Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soalle Quote
genuine question:

how can you see the difference of 14bits pics when your screen reproduces only 16Mil and the printer most probably much less?
Editing.

07-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
The K-30 has an ISO button.
Where?
If you mean the ISO button on the back, i believe that one is for the Fn menu if not then it does replace the AF selection which is not acceptable either.
I can't chose between using ISO button or using AF select, i need them both.
07-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Where?
If you mean the ISO button on the back, i believe that one is for the Fn menu if not then it does replace the AF selection which is not acceptable either.
I can't chose between using ISO button or using AF select, i need them both.
The up arrow key is the ISO button.
For AF selection you can press and hold OK and then use the arrows to select the AF point. No need to go to the menu.
07-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #229
Veteran Member

The up arrow key is the ISO button.
For AF selection you can press and hold OK and then use the arrows to select the AF point. No need to go to the menu.
I believe i said that and why it doesnt work for me, the K5 work the same way with the AF but it has a dictated ISO button.

Anyway do you go into ISO menu with that button or can you change the ISO with the front dail then?

So it comes down that you need to chose;
AF or exposure lock
&
ISO or AF selection
On the K5 all these function have their own dictated button so you can use them all at the same time.

07-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #230

Photos: Albums
I believe i said that and why it doesnt work for me, the K5 work the same way with the AF but it has a dictated ISO button.

Anyway do you go into ISO menu with that button or can you change the ISO with the front dail then?

AF or exposure lock
&
ISO or AF selection
On the K5 all these function have their own dictated button so you can use them all at the same time.

Don't get one if it doesn't work for you..... Buy a K5! Similar price
07-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #231
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sbroadbentphoto Quote
Don't get one if it doesn't work for you..... Buy a K5! Similar price
He already did.

I've the K5 for over a year now but i don't see what that has to do with it.
07-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #232
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I upgrade to a k30 instead of a k5 , can I still process my raw files with lightroom 3.6 or will I need to upgrade my software as well ? K5 is supported by my current software, but if I have to upgrade will end up costing me a lot more.

07-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #233
Veteran Member

I must have missed that part.

You can also program the RAW/Fx button to switch the cursor functions between AF selection and regular mode.
This is faster than holding OK in the middle.

QuoteQuote:
When you press the ISO button, it shows an ISO screen on the rear LCD.
You can then switch the ISO mode with the dials, and then you can just press the shutter to focus. There is no requirement to press OK to validate to exit that ISO screen, though you can do that too if you want to go back to the main screen and change other exposure settings.

When the ISO screen comes up, if you are in auto-ISO, the front dial changes the minimum ISO, and the rear dial the maximum ISO.
If you are in manual ISO, the rear dial decreases the ISO and front dial increases it.
To switch between manual and auto ISO, you use the up/down arrows.

How is that different on the K-5 ?

QuoteQuote:
AF or exposure lock
A button for AF isn't really needed IMO, when the shutter button can just be half-pressed.
Leaving it programmed for AE-L is fine and means you have 2 different buttons for these 2 functions.

QuoteQuote:
ISO or AF selection
Honestly pressing one button (RAW/Fx) to go to AF selection isn't so bad. I never need to change file format so frequently, certainly not between individual shots, this is more like a once-a-day thing or less.
07-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #234

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goldpopper Quote
If I upgrade to a k30 instead of a k5 , can I still process my raw files with lightroom 3.6 or will I need to upgrade my software as well ? K5 is supported by my current software, but if I have to upgrade will end up costing me a lot more.
Yes you should be able to because pentax allows you to use the universal DNG file type. You do usually have to change it from the pentax file type in the camera though. it will not have colour profile for the camera though.
07-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #235
Forum Member

Had a play with the k30 today...now working out how much to sell my camera and other bits to fund part of the purchase. Will make a good upgrade over the k-x.
07-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #236
Veteran Member

I must have missed that part.

You can also program the RAW/Fx button to switch the cursor functions between AF selection and regular mode.
This is faster than holding OK in the middle.
That's quite handy.

QuoteQuote:
When you press the ISO button, it shows an ISO screen on the rear LCD.
You can then switch the ISO mode with the dials, and then you can just press the shutter to focus. There is no requirement to press OK to validate to exit that ISO screen, though you can do that too if you want to go back to the main screen and change other exposure settings.

When the ISO screen comes up, if you are in auto-ISO, the front dial changes the minimum ISO, and the rear dial the maximum ISO.
If you are in manual ISO, the rear dial decreases the ISO and front dial increases it.
To switch between manual and auto ISO, you use the up/down arrows.

How is that different on the K-5 ?

With the K5 the LCD screen is off with mine, i can see the ISO on the top or in the viewfinder so i can keep my eye on the viewfinder and change all the settings there.
For Auto-ISO you press ISO and the green button, never use that so not sure if you can change the max and min on the fly.

QuoteQuote:
A button for AF isn't really needed IMO, when the shutter button can just be half-pressed.
Leaving it programmed for AE-L is fine and means you have 2 different buttons for these 2 functions.
I use the quickshift on my lenses for manual focus all the time, the AF button enables that i can have AF on demand without changing any settings of switches.
Very handy, more have it setup like that.

QuoteQuote:
Honestly pressing one button (RAW/Fx) to go to AF selection isn't so bad. I never need to change file format so frequently, certainly not between individual shots, this is more like a once-a-day thing or less.
Same here but i do change the ISO, AF points frequently and that is less handy. I already have sometimes problems with the K5 and the multifunction of those buttons...
07-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goldpopper Quote
You can use your current software, thats why DNG is so handy =]
07-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #238
Forum Member

Cool, just needed to check. Was looking at getting an x-pro and there have been some issues with raw conversion with that camera from what I have read. So trying to work out which camera I prefer and what issues I might have to deal with software wise. If I go with x-pro might have to do a few more steps, but with the pentax will be as easy as it is now for me.
07-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #239
Veteran Member

The K30 also work on lightroom 1 even, support with Adobe products is good, there are sometimes some misses with other software but overall it works quite well.
07-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #240
Veteran Member

You can use your current software, thats why DNG is so handy =]
Sadly, I found this is not the case with all software.

Corel Aftershot Pro does not support the DNGs from the K-30 currently. The DNG support is camera specific. They claim the DNG format is not really an open format.

I have to process my K-30 DNG files with Exiftool and change the camera model to another model order for it to recognize the pictures. It is a bit of a pain. I switch it to K-01 currently. Then everything is fine in Aftershot.

With my previous K-r I was using PEF and there was no issue. But it's no longer on the K-30.
The PEF definitely worked better.

When shooting in RAW + JPEG, I did notice that the color profile seemed different between PEF and DNG in aftershot. The JPG and PEF had the same colors, but not the DNG, it was slightly different.

With the K-30 with the hacked DNG files, the JPG and DNG also have slightly different colors.