Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #241
Veteran Member

Thats the way how Corel has implemented the support for the DNG it is not a limitation of the format itself.
So Corel chooses to be camera specific with the DNG since the DNG file has all the information inside the file needed to "build" an image, this isnt the case with other RAW files and that is why you need specific support.
DNG is actually closer to TIFF then it is to other RAW files, if you want you can change the "tag" from DNG to TIFF or vice versa sometimes.

The color differnce between RAW and JPEG is very normal, RAW uses often a colour profile designated by the program so a different colour profile the camera use. Same is true between RAW types, they use slightly different ways to save the information so the information is also read and process different;y.

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200409/092704DNG.html
QuoteQuote:
The Digital Negative Specification is based on the TIFF EP format, an accepted standard, and already the basis of many proprietary raw formats. The power of .DNG format lies in a set of metadata that must be included in the file to describe key details about the camera and settings. .DNG-compliant software and hardware can adapt on the fly to handle new cameras as they are introduced.
As you can read in the last sentence "can" adapt on the fly to handle new cameras, Corel chooses not to do so.
For once Adobe isnt the evil side

Last edited by Anvh; 07-26-2012 at 03:00 PM.
07-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #242
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Thats the way how Corel has implemented the support for the DNG it is not a limitation of the format itself.
So Corel chooses to be camera specific with the DNG since the DNG file has all the information inside the file needed to "build" an image, this isnt the case with other RAW files and that is why you need specific support.
DNG is actually closer to TIFF then it is to other RAW files, if you want you can change the "tag" from DNG to TIFF or vice versa sometimes.

The color differnce between RAW and JPEG is very normal, RAW uses often a colour profile designated by the program so a different colour profile the camera use. Same is true between RAW types, they use slightly different ways to save the information so the information is also read and process different;y.

About Adobe - Press Room - For Immediate Release

As you can read in the last sentence "can" adapt on the fly to handle new cameras, Corel chooses not to do so.
For once Adobe isnt the evil side
I think it's a Corel bug indeed. I have codecs for DNG and the color is the same when viewing the DNG next to the JPG from the K-30.
The JPG / PEF had the same colors with the K-r.
JPG and CR2 also have the same colors with the Canon T3i.
11-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #243

Had a play with the K-30 today and im loving it! It was right next to the K5 so it made for an easy comparison.

Im particularly interested in the focus peaking. I tested it out and im very impressed although i would like to see the option to change colours via a firmware update. White was difficult to see at times.

I found it comfortable to hold although I prefer the overall grip that the K5 offers, as it fits my large hand better.

I like its shape and design. Its very user friendly, especially if you already own a Pentax or are moving to the Pentax system.

The LCD screen and speed within the menu systems are better than the K5. The colours are vibrant and its very quick in navigating between screens. The K5II will likely be the same as the K-30 in this regard.

Live view focus was quick and snappy. The shutter is louder than id like. It certainly isnt as quiet as the K5.

A top LCD looks nice and has its use but i can live without it.

Image quality is equal to the K5.

Im no longer fussed about 12 Vs 14bit given there is very little real world difference. Im getting a stronger sense that the marketing dept love this.

Turning on all the in-camera processing tools like NR and DR, the K-30 seemed quicker than the K5 in processing an image.

I like the expanded AE bracketing that the K5 offers. Being able to go to -/+5 would be great instead of -/+3.

I always shoot in RAW so id reprogram the RAW button to switch between AF modes. I dont like that AF select is shared with the OK button so its great to have the option of reassigning it.

I am resisting the temptation to purchase a cheap K5 mainly due to its 2yr old technology, image quality that is equal to the K-30 and it will not hold its resale value like a K5II or K-30 will.

If I were going to get a K5 it would be the K5II or IIs, but i think ill go with the K-30 and invest the money saved into some better glass.

I really cant see a better camera for your money than the K30 right now (in its category).

edit; What i also liked was by selecting AF Zoom via the Live view menu, the camera would zoom right into the point of focus after the shot for a close up so you can see if the image is still in focus or not. I think the K5 does this too?

Last edited by curlednoodles; 12-27-2012 at 08:59 AM.
11-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #244
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Forgive me if this has been mentioned (I have only browsed through 5 or so pages of this thread), but has no one mentioned the fact that the K30 comes in more colors as an advantage? It's what seriously sealed the deal for me.

11-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #245
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Forgive me if this has been mentioned (I have only browsed through 5 or so pages of this thread), but has no one mentioned the fact that the K30 comes in more colors as an advantage? It's what seriously sealed the deal for me.
True, in my case the only way to upgrade my white K-r is to buy a white K-30, so I don't have much choice