Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Yeah need to do some machine gun shooting to get it full...
Yup, that I do, just luv mashin' that shutter. It's amazing how much changes in 1/7 of a second in sport, it is often the difference between a total dud shot and a cracker.

06-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The sooner Prime-II is put out to pasture the better. Anyone thinking it is good enough for the K-5 has lower standards than I do at least, the image processing time on the K-5 is a constant frustration for me, I can't tell you how many shots I've missed because the buffer was full and the time to empty it was glacial
Well, I am sure the follow up to the K5 will be better. That said, 24 RAW buffer is pretty good in my opinion. The problem is that it takes so long to write your images to the card. 3 or 4 seconds till you can view the images you shot, minimum. Hopefully Pentax can start taking advantage of some of the faster SD Cards that are coming on the market.
06-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yup, that I do, just luv mashin' that shutter. It's amazing how much changes in 1/7 of a second in sport, it is often the difference between a total dud shot and a cracker.
boy are you right. My K10 only gets 3 fps and when I take a photo of a volleyball player serving, only one of them (if I got the timing right) is any good... the rest of them the ball has already been hit.

thanks

randy
06-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #79
Veteran Member

In the film days you couldn't do that kind of shooting and they still manage, i know it isnt those times now but their ways of doing might still be good?

With concert photography i mostly shoot in bursts, so i don't hit the buffer limit with the k5 because it can processor in between the seconds of rest but if the quoted buffer of the K30 is true than i would most likely hit it.

06-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Play with an A77! It's a gatling gun.

I'd own one if the rear dial weren't such a pig to use one-handed.
06-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #81

Would the K5 still be available after the K30 is out, tested reviewed?
Am curious as to the focus system in the K30, and how it will compare to the K5.
And should the K5 have better AF, it would be nice to still be able to pick one up.
06-19-2012, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #82
Veteran Member

The production of the K5 has stopped so if all k5 are sold out then it won't be available any more

06-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kwk1 Quote
Would the K5 still be available after the K30 is out, tested reviewed?
Am curious as to the focus system in the K30, and how it will compare to the K5.
And should the K5 have better AF, it would be nice to still be able to pick one up.
I agree with you, but I think it's pretty safe to say that the K-30's PDAF will be at least as good as the K-5's.

Anvh, I'm seriously torn between the two at this point. Our discussion really got me thinking.

What do you think, coming from a K-x, shoot 90% still/10% video, 50% sunlight/25% indoor no flash/25% indoor bounce flash? Which is the bigger step up? I won't be able to wait or afford the K-3 or whatever it's called.
06-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #84
Veteran Member

waiting never hurst right, if the K-3 comes out you can decide between that or the then even cheaper K30.
I'm not going to the K30 but i will certainly wait for the K-3 hoping for better video and larger RAW buffer.

If the K30 and K5 are very comparable then i can tell you that the K30 will be a big step up over your Kx, my uncle has the Kx so i know the camera a little bit.
06-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Well like I said, I won't be able to afford the K-3, and I'm taking a trip at the end of next month, so I'd like to have the new camera before then. I'm torn but leaning toward the k-30 now.
06-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #86

this is killing me...i am new to Pentax, and having done considerable research over the last few months, I had finally settled on a K5 and was just waiting for the price to come down when they announced the K30. And now K5 prices have come down, but i also like some of the features of the K30 but can't get any sense yet of how comparable the two are. I like the solid build, extended ISO range, and the top LCD of the K5, but the lighter weight (greater chance my wife will actually use it), greater video capabilities (so less chance i need to carry around a camera and video camera at the same time) and focus peaking (recently was given a K1000 with two nice primes). With the prices of the two so close, and the fact that the K30 is untested and will be a brand new model (possibly having some initial bugs that need to worked out), i am totally at a loss.
06-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Well like I said, I won't be able to afford the K-3, and I'm taking a trip at the end of next month, so I'd like to have the new camera before then. I'm torn but leaning toward the k-30 now.
I'm in the same position.

It's all about AF for me, and I will be following the reviews.

If the K-30 is a sizeable leap forward, then great. If not, I prefer the K-5 shutter and metal body.
06-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-30 manual is available now:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/189948-k-30-manual-available-...ml#post1996215

First thing I noticed was the lack of any control of the auto ISO speed. The menu option is completely gone. Having only slow, normal, and fast was bad enough, but no control?? When are they just going to let us set the minimum shutter speed on the front dial...argh...(and if anyone thinks I'm talking about TAv I'll slap you with a fishy stick).
06-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/189948-k-30-manual-available-...ml#post1996215

First thing I noticed was the lack of any control of the auto ISO speed. The menu option is completely gone. Having only slow, normal, and fast was bad enough, but no control?? When are they just going to let us set the minimum shutter speed on the front dial...argh...(and if anyone thinks I'm talking about TAv I'll slap you with a fishy stick).
I know what you mean and totally agree, being able to specify a minimum shutter speed would make Av mode so much more useful for wide to normal fast primes. Actually just change TAv mode to just interpret shutter speed as minimum would make a great mode even better (so shutter speed gets raised once ISO hits 80)
06-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote

You are wrong. You missed page 85.