Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is K30 "better" then the K5?

Just looking online at a local store and there is only a bit more then 100 dollars difference...
with the better auto focus, and new processing engine, is k30 a better camera as far as image quality, sports, etc.
I do know that the k30 can't get as high ISO as the k5, but if the k30 has a cleaner image, the trade off is worth it for me.
I love the looks of the k30, just not sure how I would get used to having no lcd screen on top

any thoughts and comments welcomed!

thanks

slip

06-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #2

I will be interested in hearing what others have to say but in my five decades of picture taking, starting with a Brownie Box in 1961, the K-5 is far and away the best I have ever owned and it has very much to do with the high ISO.
06-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Big pros to the K-5 are the 14bit pixel depth for better dynamic range, the magnesium alloy body, the compatibility with the K-7/K-5 grip, the external mic input, and the top LCD.

Big pros for K-30 are the better video options/controls, potentially better AF, and focus peeking,

As for IQ, they will be very close, but likely will match the K-01 instead of the K-5. The DR will be better on the K-5, and as you say a bit better high-iso support. The biggest difference will be the lack of ISO 80 on the K-30, which I use almost all the time on my K-5 and has superb control over noise and DR.

As for the top LCD, I don't use mine much and could do without it.

At the K-5 price, I'd say you'd get a better bang for your buck there. I would recommend the K-30 for it's video, but without an external mic input it's much harder to record high quality audio. Of course you could always record audio off camera seperately.

It's a tough choice, the K-5 is tested and quite often regarded the best APS-C out there for IQ. The K-30 is untested, but has a lot of potential. I recommend going with the one you like the best aside from minute differences in IQ. Break down your use pattern with your current camera, and compare those uses with both options. Good luck!
06-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not to mention lighter, focus peaking, more unique looking.

To me its either an improvement or a lateral comparison (ie. win some loose some).
It all depends on what the user finds important.

Personally, if I had a choice today, I'd go for the K30.
(I have an almost 2yr old K5, btw)

06-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mate,I asked a similar question in my latest thread and I looked at the responses and weighed it all up and decided to go for the K5.The K5 overall positive feedback and it's price was the proven winner for me in my choice.The K30 no doubt will be a proven a good camera down the track,so we'll just wait ans see.
06-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

K-30 should have better features than K5, since it is new!

But it lacks top LCD, no battery grip option, no magnesium alloy body,
If you don't need these, K30 should be the choice.

If I am new to dSLR, I will get K30.
But I was spoiled by K200D that has top LCD, battery grip, and metal body. so my next upgrade will be the K5 replacement.
06-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
It's a tough choice, the K-5 is tested and quite often regarded the best APS-C out there for IQ.
If Pentax-Ricoh would (could?) break with stubborn policy and add focus peaking to the K-5 (via firmware update), I would eagerly buy one of them instead of a K-30 (at least at the K-5's present discounted prices), because the dynamic range of the K-5 (via 14-bit RAW) is the thing I love most about it, along with high ISO and amazing color depth.

If I were to guess, I would say that most K-5 owners are not (as Pentax-Ricoh might be hoping) going to abandon their expensive -- and outstanding -- K-5s simply to get focus peaking -- and focus peaking only (how many of them even have manual lenses?); therefore, Pentax-Ricoh wouldn't be losing that many future K-30 sales by giving present K-5 owners focus peaking. Actually, they would be gaining profits from future sales of K-5s to people like me.

Furthermore, most present K-5 owners who plan to upgrade to the theoretical "K-3" probably aren't planning to do so SIMPLY to get focus peaking alone. I'm sure there will be many other, far more substantial reasons for them to upgrade to that flagship camera when it finally arrives. Therefore, there will probably be very few lost future sales there too if present K-5 owners were to be given focus peaking.

Last edited by Welfl; 06-05-2012 at 08:25 AM.
06-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
K-30 should have better features than K5, since it is new!

But it lacks top LCD, no battery grip option, no magnesium alloy body,
If you don't need these, K30 should be the choice.

If I am new to dSLR, I will get K30.
But I was spoiled by K200D that has top LCD, battery grip, and metal body. so my next upgrade will be the K5 replacement.
The K30 is placed below the K5 so the K5 surely has somethings to go for and it isn't hard to find those things.

Also the K200D doesnt have a metal body...
06-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
If Pentax-Ricoh would (could?) break with stubborn policy and add focus peaking to the K-5 (via firmware update), I would eagerly buy one of them instead of a K-30 (at least at the K-5's present discounted prices), because the dynamic range of the K-5 (via 14-bit RAW) is the thing I love most about it, along with high ISO and amazing color depth.

If I were to guess, I would say that most K-5 owners aren't going to abandon their expensive -- and outstanding -- K-5s simply to get focus peaking -- and focus peaking only; therefore, Pentax-Ricoh wouldn't be losing that many future K-30 sales by giving present K-5 owners focus peaking. Actually, they would be gaining profits from future sales of K-5s to people like me.

Furthermore, most present K-5 owners who plan to upgrade to the theoretical "K-3" probably aren't planning to do so SIMPLY to get focus peaking alone. I'm sure there will be many other, far more substantial reasons for them to upgrade to a that flagship camera when it finally arrives. Therefore, there will probably be very few lost future sales there too if present K-5 owners were to be given focus peaking.
But given the K5 these features now would hurt the sales of the K30 and the K3 and they probably make more profit on the K30 then K5.

Every K5 sold now would mean not a K30 or K3 sold this year.
06-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

From another thread

Updated list of K-5 advantages vs. K-30
1) faster FPS burst
2) metal body
3) top lcd
4) a few more dedicated buttons (eg separate AF and AE-L, AF number of points selection switch)
5) faster shutter speed 1/8000
6) provision for battery grip
7) 14 bit RAW
8) 80 - 51200 ISO
9) expanded bracketing choices
10) expanded user modes (5 vs 2)
11) much longer battery life (~450 shots vs 1,000+)
12) HDMI out
13) microphone jack
14) DOF on the on/off switch
15) much deeper RAW buffer
16) More effective self sensor cleaning (K30 just shakes sensor, K-5 includes some ultra sonic magic that is very effective). Credit to Class A for noticing this. As someone with a K-x and K-5 I can attest to the excellent sensor self cleaning of the K-5 vs the K-x.
17) If the K30 sensor performs as the K-01 (seems likely, both 12 bit RAW and ISO100 floor) then the K-5 has slightly better IQ at all ISO's, see DXO graphs
06-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Every K5 sold now would mean not a K30 or K3 sold this year.
I tried to point out in my original comment why that might not necessarily be the case.
06-04-2012, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-30 is better in the sense that it's got a more modern processor and upgraded firmware. Once the K-5's successor comes out, that gap (which is fairly significant IMO) will close.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
any thoughts and comments welcomed!
We cannot possibly "compare" these cameras simply because K-30 hasn't been really seen in action. The spec-sheet "comparison" is pointless IMO. Also, it is quite unlikely that K-30 will offer substantial improvements over K-5 - after all, they use similar sensors and almost all basic technology is similar. There may be evolutionary improvement that is highly unlikely to be a deal-breaker or deal-maker here...

YMMVOC.
06-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-30 is better in the sense that it's got a more modern processor and upgraded firmware.
Adam, the above statement requires proof. And the proof may be offered by means of looking at the real camera and see it perform in real life. Otherwise, this is just a claim. Logical claim, but unproven still...
06-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #15
Pentaxian

They must be clearing the K-5 stocks. One of the camera stores here in the netherlands has the K-30 now on their site, priced higher than they do the K-5 (not much, about 50€, but still higher)