Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #166
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm waiting for the reviews to show the differences between the k-30 and k-5 to work out where to step up to from the k-x which has served me well. There are a few features I would like to have which both offer so will see how the performance measures up.

07-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goldpopper Quote
I'm waiting for the reviews to show the differences between the k-30 and k-5 to work out where to step up to from the k-x which has served me well. There are a few features I would like to have which both offer so will see how the performance measures up.
Be careful on that part and keep an eye out on the first reviews available. As you know it, the K-5 is discontinued so it may be hard to find once they are sold out, and they don't pop in the market in this forum often as the K-5 is a real gem.
07-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #168

Some Australian stores price k-30 at AUD$759 but all Australian stores still price k-5 at A$1100 ... OMG!
07-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goldpopper Quote
There are only 3 reasons to get the K5 that is if you shoot in RAW and shoot a lot of photos in continues mode, then the bigger buffer will help you.
14 bit RAW, so slightly better image quality.
motion jpeg with video, better option if you want to edit your videos.

That's it really, you might add the extra buttons the k5 has, i for example need a sperate EA-lock and AF button but for most that isn't a problem and the battery grip.

07-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #170

Don't forget the top LCD. After my beloved K200D was stolen, I've been looking for a new camera too. Final two contenders for me were K-5 and K-30. Among all the advantages that K-5 has over K-30, for me the comfort of using (backlit) LCD of the K-5 for some quick readings was the most important one (as I'm used to use it from K200D days). Although at the end I opted for K-30 with 18-135mm WR glass (pre-ordered).
07-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #171

It doesn't make any sense if k-30 is better than k-5, because as a brand new product the price is still cheaper than the 2 year old k-5

?
07-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #172
Veteran Member

But conversely, economically, it's the worst time to buy a K-30 (as the price never be higher, and will likely drop $1-200 within a year) and the best time to buy a K-5 (as it is at its lowest price ever, and will soon be unavailable new). Beach Camera blew out some K-5's for $799 last week and they may make their way into price clubs like Costco.

Okay, my K-5 just arrived, I'm going to stop bothering you folks in the K-30 threads.

07-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #173
Veteran Member

All I really want to know is if the K-30 AF is faster then the K-5s in decent light??
07-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #174
Veteran Member

K-5 AF has no problem in decent light (other than AF point size which it shares with the K-30), it's when the light gets low the K-5 AF falls apart.
07-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
All I really want to know is if the K-30 AF is faster then the K-5s in decent light??
The Pentax reps told me it was... they let me play with the AF button to test it although it wasn't working well with the shutter at that point so I couldn't test it taking a picture, only with a focus lock... and based on my test with a pre-production model it certainly seemed faster.. that coupled with the predictive focus improvements is likely to mean the K-30 is probably the better AF at the moment. The Pentax rep also said the K-30 AF system would be incorporated into the K-5 replacement and that Pentax had paid particular attention to consumer complaints about their AF in developing the new AF system in the K30. All those things , plus an article I read that claimed there was no mathematical advantage in 14 bit over 12 bit imaging in digital cameras, a complex mathematical article I didn't completely understand, leads me to believe it's quite possible that the K30 is every bit as good in IQ as the K-5 with better more predictive auto-focus. I'm waiting for the results to come in... but the way I see it, in a few years after Pentax brings in it's FF, I'll probably still want APS-c for action and wildlife which the K30 is in my opinion definitely better than a K-5 at and the FF will get used for landscapes.

That's my current train of thought for what it's worth. I'm not sure why you'd listen to me over anyone else, except that I have discussed this issue with Pentax reps. Now whether or not I swallowed a pile of corporate BS or not, that is why I'd like to see some actual results. Preliminary images from the K-30 would tend to support my, feelings. I shot seagulls at Niagara falls a month or so ago with a K-5 and my wife shot some today with it. My results were nothing like this. All the evidence so far supports the K-30 having a noticeable advantage.
07-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #176
Veteran Member

If the K-01 Iq is anything to go on when it comes to the K30 (same sensor and processor) you can see that he K5 has the slight edge actually you find many claims that 14bit is useful because of the great dynamic range at lower iso, but i doubt that anything above ISO400 or maybe even lower will benefit of the 2 extra bits.
07-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #177
Veteran Member

Today I was down at a local Camera Shop and the Pentax Rep for the area came through.. I handled the K-30 with a DA 17-70 on it.. Ergonomically the K-30 is FAR FAR Inferior to the K-5.
button placement has been changed and the green button placement is awkward and ridiculous, the camera feels slightly smaller and the grip side seems very squared and made for very little hands. Of course the K-5 has the Fully alloy body, but in hand that is simply a weight difference.. just the feel of the K-5 in hand FAR exceeds the K-30.
07-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #178

My next reward to myself (hopefully very soon).. will probably be a black k-5, to supplement my pink k-r

being a woman, i also like the look of k-5 better than k-30 actually
07-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #179
Veteran Member

Chex, I would argue for those of us with small hands, the K-30 feel might far exceed the K-5's.
07-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #180

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Today I was down at a local Camera Shop and the Pentax Rep for the area came through.. I handled the K-30 with a DA 17-70 on it.. Ergonomically the K-30 is FAR FAR Inferior to the K-5.
button placement has been changed and the green button placement is awkward and ridiculous, the camera feels slightly smaller and the grip side seems very squared and made for very little hands. Of course the K-5 has the Fully alloy body, but in hand that is simply a weight difference.. just the feel of the K-5 in hand FAR exceeds the K-30.
Can I ask, other than button placement, what exactly is inferior ergonomically with the K-30 vs. the K-5? Does the K-30 not work for your ergonomically taken by itself, i.e. not in comparison to the K-5? Wen you talk about the weight difference, does the K-30 feel "too light", keeping in mind that is a subjective thing and that for some purposes, lighter is better.