Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens release button same as K-5?

After having a browse in the K-5 section and seeing numerous people complain of losing the lens release button at somepoint on the K-5 (wtf, never had any such build issues on my K20D!) I'm wondering if the release system on this camera is reused from the K-5 or not?

Frank, or someone who has the pre-release camera want to chip in, visually they look very similar from photos but does it feel/appear to be the same or updated?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/187802-k-5-disassembly-walkthrough.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/147149-lens-release-button-fell-off-my-k-5-a.html

Between things like that, shutter flop (was this ever resolved, do newer K-5s still potentially display this?)and sensor stain issues (this was stopped for newer cameras I understand, and older ones fixed free?) it pushes me to wait for the K30. My K20D was a tank and it never gave me any issues like that so I don't want to shell on a newer camera and find the quality has degraded.

Thanks guys

06-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

K-5 will be end of production soon once the replacement model is announced. And you are worrying about QA issues even though it has been out for a while... the k30D or k-5 replacement may have other issues which is more likely than those you mentioned. Doesn't make sense to me.
06-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
K-5 will be end of production soon once the replacement model is announced. And you are worrying about QA issues even though it has been out for a while... the k30D or k-5 replacement may have other issues which is more likely than those you mentioned. Doesn't make sense to me.
Of course the K30 could come with its own set of unique issues, but it is entirely possible that using the same sensor as the K-01 etc that teething issues are minor, especially if things like the lens release mechanism is updated to be more reliable as in previous generation cameras. Going from the K10D to a K20D could've carried its own set of issues, but there were very little as it turned out.

I could go get a K-5 and then take my chances, I've not seen anywhere whether later production cycles of K-5 have the above issues already addressed before shipping or whether I would have to send it in for updating/repair at some point regardless.

The fact that the K-5 has been out for a while now seems irrelevant if the issues are still occurring. Just because its coming to end of production life doesn't mean that people aren't still hoping to pick them up at great prices new - I'm sure people other than me will want to know when tossing up between K30 and K-5 purchase as much as they can about potential issues of each.

I can see the wisdom of buying a camera like the K-5 with well known issues and getting them repaired if necessary "devil you know vs the devil you don't" Versus going blind into K30 and hoping its a good reliable camera. I guess it comes down to Ricoh and how well they have things going internally.
06-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It is just a guess but I am guessing Pentax got a batch of slightly sub-spec lens release buttons. None of my previous Pentax dslr cameras had that problem. I have a K-7 and two K-5 bodies. The K-7 and the older K-5 cameras both have over 30,000 photos and have been treated rough. Numerous cave trips, kayaking trips should give them a good workout. The new K-5 has just over 2,000 photos and never had rough treatment. The new K-5 was the one that lost its lens release button. It haapears to be just a fiction fit.

06-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
The fact that the K-5 has been out for a while now seems irrelevant if the issues are still occurring.
But are they? At least the stain issue was known to be specific only to the first batches.
Manufacturers will usually fix/improve a camera, Pentax is no exception here. Unfortunately, the cameras are so complex and we're asking for more, faster, cheaper than it's next to impossible to make a bug-free product.