Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds good to me. I wonder how it is to use with an LCDVF and live view for manual focus photography. It's pretty good on the K-5 with the optical viewfinder (manual focus is), but an LCD showing focus peaking would probably be a lot better, I would think. I might get the K-30 for this purpose, and filming of course, and time lapse, as a second body to the K-5. I wonder how the AA filter is compared to the K-5.

I wonder if the mirror flaps when you photograph when in live view mode, or if just the shutter goes.

06-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Build quality
The body on the standard black one is made of the same stuff as the K20D (I asked about this). The dials are OK but feel kind of flimsy compared to the metal ones on the K-01. They're probably the same as on the K-R and no cause for worry.

If build quality is at the top of your list of priorities, however, the K-5 is clearly better constructed.
Any more information on these points, I've not felt the K-01 dials, but I have a K20D how do they compare to those dials - similar or worse?

What in particular makes you say that the K-5 is better constructed, external fit and finish of the K-30 feels detectably worse? Or because it feels lighter or just that it doesn't have magnesium cage etc?

Cheers, awesome update btw - I've been checking in daily for anyone with news
06-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I asked speculatively about whether there was going to be anything between the K-01 and K-30

No wonder he was puzzled, what camera could you fit in between those two and why would you want to? There will be a K5 replacemnt above the K30 which may even be the K3 FF.
06-18-2012, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Overall, it looks like the K-30 is a great camera and does most of what the K-5 can do, plus the extra live view stuff that came with the K-01. If build quality is at the top of your list of priorities, however, the K-5 is clearly better constructed.
Nice write-up.

But from what I experienced, the shutter in K-30 is definitely different from the one in K-r or K-x. It's a bit quieter w/ less hesitation.

One thing you forgot to mention is that the grip on K-30 is a better design even than K-5. There is more space on the back where the thumb rests, not like K-5 which has a couple of buttons there, and the rear dial is too close to the thumb on K-5. The K-30 grip is a bit deeper but narrower, the rubber used is a bit stickier too so you'd feel more secure when holding a K-30 than a K-5, especially w/ a longer heavier lens mounted.

Another change from K-5 is that the LCD screen on K-30 seems to be sharper and more saturated than the one on K-5. Even looking at the menu (text), the one on K-30 just looks a lot better. Same photo would appear sharper w/ a lot better colors on K-30's screen than on the K5's.

As I said in the other thread, I don't mind getting a K-30 if choosing between these two. The only thing I'd miss is probably the bigger capacity battery used in K-5, but I'd gain better grip, better LCD, better video, slightly better AF, better MF w/ focus peaking and sharper LCD ...

06-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #20
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I know that Frank has had a lot more use of the K-30 than me, so he would know better about the shutter sound. It's just that the other cameras they had were the K-5 and the K-01, which were significantly quieter. I agree that the grip is nice on the K-30. It felt natural immediately. I also like the placement of the LV button at the top left. It would be difficult to accidentally activate it.

About the mode dial, the one I used seemed to move more freely, with less pronounced detents, than what I'm used to. That was what struck me compared to my other cameras. Of course, this sample was on display, so it could have had a lot of use already.

The mirror doesn't drop in Live View mode. I don't know whether you can choose that as an option, but the CDAF is very good so I don't see why you would want to. As I said I couldn't really compare the PDAF with the K-5 in any meaningful way. The showroom is well lit and they both seem to focus perfectly quickly in that environment.

I'm also hoping for some improvements in the K-01 firmware. I'd be especially happy to see improvements in AF performance and peaking during video. I'm hopeful because Ricoh has always been great with providing firmware updates for their cameras long after release. My GR Digital had features added about two years after it was released, with full PDF documentation. When the GRDIV was released, they announced a feature-enhacing firmware upgrade for the GRDIII in the same launch presentation, saying that they didn't want GRD III users to feel that their camera was suddenly outdated. I hope this attitude is carried over to the new merged division.
06-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

My GR Digital had features added about two years after it was released, with full PDF documentation. When the GRDIV was released, they announced a feature-enhacing firmware upgrade for the GRDIII in the same launch presentation, saying that they didn't want GRD III users to feel that their camera was suddenly outdated. I hope this attitude is carried over to the new merged division.
That sounds good. I hope so too. Pentax sort of did that in the past with the *ist DS (it was updated to the features of the DS2), so maybe those old original Pentax voices plus the new Ricoh ones will speak up.

The K-30 dials and grip sound interesting. I'll be curious to try one eventually.
06-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote

One thing you forgot to mention is that the grip on K-30 is a better design even than K-5. There is more space on the back where the thumb rests, not like K-5 which has a couple of buttons there, and the rear dial is too close to the thumb on K-5. The K-30 grip is a bit deeper but narrower, the rubber used is a bit stickier too so you'd feel more secure when holding a K-30 than a K-5, especially w/ a longer heavier lens mounted.

My experience with the K-5 is that the grip is excellent. I've never experienced having problems where the thumb rests, no buttons are in the way for me, and the rear dial is located so I can turn it where my thumb is, no need to move it to reach the dial, as I like it. If the wheel was moved to the left, it would be less comfortable to use compared to now.

06-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

JPT, nice write-up.
I'll try and get down to the Forum tomorrow...if possible. Haven't been for a long time.

Always good to read these early comments as I'm hoping the k-30 will be a big seller.
06-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #24
Pentaxian

care to share images taken with it guys?
06-20-2012, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

K5 grip is better for some users believe it or not

I tried the K30 at the Digital Show in Melbourne, Australia and two obvious plus points for the K5 to me personally were:
the grip on the K5 is significantly more comfortable;
the build quality (I could tell immediately that my K7 has superior build quality).

Now everyone has different size and shaped hands so it irks me all those users who are immediately saying that the K30 grip is superior. It will be for some and for others it won't be.

Regards.
06-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Interesting. Can you describe in what ways the K-5's grip is better for you? Is it taller? More room for long fingers? Thumb positioning? I have big hands and long fingers. I find my K-x's grip is too small - I loved my K100D.
06-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
I tried the K30 at the Digital Show in Melbourne, Australia and two obvious plus points for the K5 to me personally were:
the grip on the K5 is significantly more comfortable;
the build quality (I could tell immediately that my K7 has superior build quality).

Now everyone has different size and shaped hands so it irks me all those users who are immediately saying that the K30 grip is superior. It will be for some and for others it won't be.

Regards.
If you are a K7 user, your hands will already be used to the K5 grip - hence it will probably feel comfortable to you. But you are right, it is a personal thing. I like the K7 grip very much, but it could be 'taller'.
06-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The grip is subjective at best.
I like the grip on the K-5, it definitely grew on me and I do find it comfortable...but the K10, for me, is perfect.
Haven't held the K-30.
06-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #29
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I agree that the grip is very subjective. It depends on the size of your hands, how "full" you like your hands to feel, and the cameras you have perviously used. For me the K-5 feels better than the K-30 because it is wider and fills my hand more.

I agree with howieb101 that the K-5 feels much better built from the moment you touch it. It feels like it would take more punishment, even though the K-30 is weatherproof. The K20D falls somewhere between the two.

The K-5 is so cheap now. It will surely have a successor, but I doubt it will ever reach the same low price. I feel Pentax allowed the K-5 to get unnaturally cheap because it was their only DSLR for a while. If that's your budget and you must have a metal camera, this is the chance.
06-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #30
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yodobashi Camera (big chain of electronics stores) had a model of every body colour on display today. I took a quick picture - terrible picture, but never mind. The "silky" matte colours are on the top and the crystal ones are on the bottom. The burgundy colour is out of shot, I'm afraid.

I thought the lighter colours looked better in crystal, whereas the darker colours looked good in both. My favourites were the crystal yellow, the matte silver (which looks more like grey) and the crystal blue. Actually, I think they've done a better job than with the K-R in choosing tasteful shades of the colours.

Looking at the Pentax section, I couldn't find the K-5, so I asked a store assistant. He said they had just one left and weren't expecting any more shipments. It seems it may be discontinued now. He hadn't heard about a replacement yet.