Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So I guess the K-30's flash isn't taller after all . . .

When we saw the first images of the K-30, that forward-leaning lip on the camera made me think that maybe they had moved the pop-up flash upward so as not to have the shadowing issue with long lenses. I would have liked this for the occasional fill flash I use with my 16-45, but it appears it's not happening. If you look at a picture of the K-30 with the flash up, it has some nice dead empty plastic above the actual flash bulb. I mocked up a quick comparison in MS Paint.

Since the K-30 and K-5 are 1mm different in width, and these two shots are taken from the same angle, I cropped both images exactly to the body width, and resized to the same pixel size. Then I lined up the top of their hot shoes . . . et voila!

It's not a dealbreaker, but it would have been nice, considering how much further the plastic goes beyond the flash.

Attached Images

06-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think they were trying to make the flash taller. I think the intention of redesigning the lip was to accommodate larger size lenses.
06-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

makes it look extra different too. couldn't had been mistaken for thinking it was any other canikon!
06-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
I don't think they were trying to make the flash taller. I think the intention of redesigning the lip was to accommodate larger size lenses.
Yes, but it still seems a wasted opportunity.

06-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Eh, it's probably practically useless except as a fill flash anyway. On my K-x I have to tone it down or it can be downright nasty. The way I figure it what does it matter how tall it is? Relying on a built in camera flash isn't a great idea. It's not strong enough to really light like a good flash should plus you don't get much bounce which isn't a nice thing. It makes for some harshly lighted pics. I almost never use my on board flash actually. I'm not really all that fond of flashes in general but if I am going there a shoe mounted flash with a diffuser just makes more sense. Hands up. How many of you actually use the on board flash that it would actually make a difference? I'll bet not as many as you might think. I'm thinking most of us put a real flash on when we need one, bounce it, diffuse it, etc. When I first started with my first upscale P&S I used it a bit but then even with that camera I was using a real flash soon. I just didn't like the light from the on board flash at all.
06-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Eh, it's probably practically useless except as a fill flash anyway. On my K-x I have to tone it down or it can be downright nasty.
Absolutely agreed but even as fill, if you have a lens like the 16-45, which extends as you decrease the focal length, or the 16-50, which is just a big mammajamma anyway, you'll have a big ugly frowny shadow at the bottom of your picture, even when used as fill . . .

Like unsinkable II said, it feels like a wasted opportunity. Make no mistake, when I need flash as main lighting, I use a hotshoe and bounce if I can. But there are times when you just want a little fill in an informal situation. My main lens is the 16-45 so that's not a feature I can get from any pentax camera.
06-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I use fill quite often. With something like my Sigma 8-16 on the front, I'd prefer more flash separation.
06-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Pentax should have implemented a pop up mechanism like with the k-01, where the top doesn't protrude to the front so much and you can actually see the aperture ring without dislocating your neck

06-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That works in the K-01 because there's no optical viewfinder or mirror mechanism, so there's room for the little jointed arm mechanism to allow that flash to pop straight up. If it was between that and the OVF, especially a Pentaprism, I'll take the crappy flash every time.