Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I don't think that's correct. If you shoot RAW+, then the JPEG image will have NR applied (very effectively, too, especially with the Q) but as far as I can see, the RAW image is untouched, as it should be. Do you have a source for this?
Anvh, you're making it sound like some kind of NR is happening and you can't turn it off. True, high-ISO NR is on by default but can be turned off in the Rec Mode 3:

From the K-5 AND K-30 manuals:
QuoteQuote:
Auto
____Applies Noise Reduction at optimally calculated levels throughout ISO range. (default setting)
Low/Medium/High
____Applies Noise Reduction at constant chosen level throughout ISO range.
Custom
____Applies Noise Reduction at user-defined levels for each ISO setting.
Off
____Does not apply Noise Reduction at any ISO setting.
Are you saying there is another level of NR being done regardless of this setting?

Edit: looking at the DNG files that ImageResource posted, it certainly doesn't look like NR was applied to the raw images. They all look dramatically better but there's still some loss of detail on the shot of the chain links. (look at the threads of the chain link)

Last edited by Ryan Trevisol; 06-21-2012 at 01:41 PM.
06-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Engadget put the camera under a water spout.

That's like crashing a car to make sure the airbags work. Kinda.
You think that's crazy? Take a look at this:

I plan on giving the K-30 the same treatment this evening. Review should be up next week.
06-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I don't think that's correct. If you shoot RAW+, then the JPEG image will have NR applied (very effectively, too, especially with the Q) but as far as I can see, the RAW image is untouched, as it should be. Do you have a source for this?
DXO mark and their tests with the K5 and K30, i believe other reviewers also have noticed this behaviour but RAW above ISO 1600 is certainly not untouched.
06-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Anvh, you're making it sound like some kind of NR is happening and you can't turn it off. True, high-ISO NR is on by default but can be turned off in the Rec Mode 3:

From the K-5 AND K-30 manuals:

Are you saying there is another level of NR being done regardless of this setting?

Edit: looking at the DNG files that ImageResource posted, it certainly doesn't look like NR was applied to the raw images. They all look dramatically better but there's still some loss of detail on the shot of the chain links. (look at the threads of the chain link)
Yes precisely and you cant turn it off

Here are the reviews i talked about.
DxOMark - DxOMark review for the Pentax K5
QuoteQuote:
Smoothing appears at ISO 3200 but does not impact the metrics.
Pentax K-5 Camera Raw - Full Review
QuoteQuote:
Here, we can see the Pentax K-5 clearly produces the cleanest looking RAW files, though it appears to be applying some noise reduction at higher ISOs (above ISO 1,600), which cannot be turned off. The noise reduction applied is pretty subtle, though, nothing like the heavy-handed approach used in earlier Sony SLRs. Still, it's something we'd rather not see in RAW files, as it does impact fine detail.
htpp://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk5/12 spellings mistake fixed
QuoteQuote:
A quick glance at the graphs shows us that the Pentax K-5 produces the best measured results in this test followed by the Nikon D7000 (which uses a very similar sensor); the Canon EOS 60D and Olympus E-5 are not quite on the same level. A closer look at the graphs, though, reveals a clear kink in the K-5's noise graphs at 1600, indicating that the camera applies some noise reduction even to the raw files.

I believe tis clear now

06-22-2012, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpfisher Quote

I plan on giving the K-30 the same treatment this evening. Review should be up next week.
Is that a 645D? Whoa...
06-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
Forum Member

Here's what I shot during my first day with the camera: 2012-06-20 - Pentax K-30 Shooting Event - jimfisher's Photos | SmugMug
06-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #22

Original Poster
Here's what I shot during my first day with the camera: 2012-06-20 - Pentax K-30 Shooting Event - jimfisher's Photos | SmugMug
Your collection is significant enough that I think it deserves a thread of its own! You wouldn't want your link to it to fade into obscurity in my soon-to-be-forgotten thread, would you?

P.S. Judging by some of your pictures, you appear to be the person who shot the K-30 video on Engadget. Right? Either that or you were sitting right next to that person.

Last edited by Welfl; 06-22-2012 at 06:32 PM.
06-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
Your collection is significant enough that I think it deserves a thread of its own! You wouldn't want your link to it to fade into obscurity in my soon-to-be-forgotten thread, would you?

P.S. Judging by some of your pictures, you appear to be the person who shot the K-30 video on Engadget. Right? Either that or you were sitting right next to that person.
Just sitting right next to him.

if you looked at my gallery earlier and saw some duplicate shots, I fixed those. Smugmug uploader has been finicky as of late--it also missed 8 shots that are now up as well.

06-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery
Ooh! I love the colors!
06-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Crazy it is, but this doesn't look like a K-30, but the 645D !