Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My girlfriend caught me looking at my camera in the mirror with a DA12-24 attached to it the other day. Imagine a girl checking herself out in the mirror to see how her handbag looked...
IMHO the K-5 with the DA 12-24 looks very PRO! the 18-135 would be great if they found a way to make it optically PRO... then it would look good in print as well!

06-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
My girlfriend caught me looking at my camera in the mirror with a DA12-24 attached to it the other day. Imagine a girl checking herself out in the mirror to see how her handbag looked...
IMHO the K-5 with the DA 12-24 looks very PRO! the 18-135 would be great if they found a way to make it optically PRO... then it would look good in print as well!
I bought the 18-135 'cos of the weather proofing (I live in England. It rains. Worse than that, it MIZZLES!) I was prepared for pretty grim optical properties, but I have been pleasantly surprised, sure not a lens for razor sharp portraits, and the distortions at the wide end are huge, but it is liveable with! Any way, a K30 with the aforementioned 18-135 is a nice entry to middle end combo.
06-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
For the 18-135mm, DxO is your friend...actually for any supported combo
06-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #19

Really? This again?

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Its competitor being the sigma 70-200mm or the Canon 70-200mm f4L? Because both of those are cheaper than the Pentax 60-250mm.
And both are not equivalent to the Pentax 60-250mm aren't they?

Pentax got them both beaten for range and at least 1 of them for weather proofing.

For that matter it should be the Canon 70-200mm f4 L IS that should be used for the comparison. And lets add the Tamron into the mix the 70-200mm f2.8 shall we? Good optics, good price but slow af, only using screw drive, no weather proofing and smaller range. And how about Nikon's 70-200 f2.8 lens? My, my will you take a look at that;

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens 2185 B&H Photo
Pentax Zoom Telephoto 60-250mm f/4 ED DA* SDM Autofocus Lens
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Lens 1258B002 B&H Photo Video

hmmmm...........wow, would you look at that?
If you google harder, I'm very sure, you can get better deals for the Pentax as well.

And also ignore the fact that the lens sold by third-party lens makers have always been historically cheaper? If it was more expensive, nobody would buy them unless they provide a specific need or performance (Carl Zeiss anyone?). Nobody is stopping anybody from buying from Sigma or Tamron or others. In fact when I started photography like 20 years(yeah I know, still a baby compared to some) it was understood that if you can't afford the original camera-maker lens, you'd buy the third-party ones. I don't remember people belly-aching then.

Lets take a look at it at another angle shall we? I'll make the maths simple.

At the shortest zoom the Pentax is 60mm or 60*1.5 = 90mm equivalent and at the longest end 250mm or 250*1.5= 375mm equivalent.

Whereas the rest starts at 70mm or 70*1.5= 105mm equivalent and at 200mm, 200*1.5=300mm equivalent.

And in practise those who are familiar with long tele-zoom will understand when I say that you will notice the difference when you are at 90mm (equivalent) and at 100mm (equivalent) as it affects your working distance and field of view.

06-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
Pentaxian

The Nikon is 400 more expensive...but has faster AF and is a stop faster and offers a 5 year warranty. The Canon is cheaper than the Pentax, and has faster AF. All 3 are weathersealed. I fail to see your point? If you want to spend 600 dollars more for 50mm extra that's your choice. You can easily buy a TC from Canon and still have money left over.
06-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The Nikon is 400 more expensive...but has faster AF and is a stop faster and offers a 5 year warranty. The Canon is cheaper than the Pentax, and has faster AF. All 3 are weathersealed. I fail to see your point? If you want to spend 600 dollars more for 50mm extra that's your choice. You can easily buy a TC from Canon and still have money left over.
From Pentax's standpoint (a company that only sells APS-C cameras at this point), the 70-200 equivalent is their DA * 50-135, which is priced less than 70-200 lenses. The 60-250 is more the equivalent of a 100-400 lens, which would priced in a much higher range. In truth it is really hard to compare Pentax lenses to Nikon/Canon lenses, because focal lengths are somewhat different (what is the equivalent of the FA 43?) and Pentax offers in body stabilization, thereby negating the need to have it in a lens.

The reality is that if Pentax's approach to focal lengths doesn't work for you, that is, the fact that they have released a bunch of lenses which are the APS-C equivalent of full frame lenses, then you would be better off going with Nikon or Canon. And yes, I personally prefer having a 50-135 on APS-C than having 70-200 on APS-C. I don't find the extra length that useful on the 70-200 and I do find that extra 20mm on the wide end quite handy at times.
06-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #22

Bingo

Thanks Rondec, you explained quite succinctly what I was trying to say.

@cali92rs
Just to repeat my point:
QuoteQuote:
And in practise those who are familiar with long tele-zoom will understand when I say that you will notice the difference when you are at 90mm (equivalent) and at 100mm (equivalent) as it affects your working distance and field of view.
I'm referring to the wide-end. I don't give a flying fish about the 50mm difference at the long end. Even if I do, using your logic, I can easily get a 1.4x tc and still come out ahead.

The truth of the matter is that though both Nikon and Canon has apsc sensor camera, their high-grade lens-lineup for apsc sensor is not complete and inadequate for now. What people don't realise is that the full-frame lens that both have(which I suspect that both are trying do a coverup), have gaps within their range for apsc. (In fact with Canon's 1.6 multiplier, it gets even trickier). Their full-frame lineup is par excellent of course but we're not talking about full-frame here aren't we? Since Pentax doesn't have a full-frame camera currently. Comparing the lens just like that is like comparing apples and oranges. And this just confuses noobs even further.

To add to my point about lens-lineup above, the only camera maker that has a wonderful and exquisite lens lineup for the smaller format is Olympus four-third (though their micro four-third offering is catching up really fast) (and the their lens cost even more). It is quite sad that they don't seem interested to move forward with a new model after the E-5. I often look at their swd lens with envy .....sigh.....