Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,114
Engadget K-30 Hands On Review

Pentax K-30 weather-sealed DSLR hands-on with sample photos and video

06-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
jonhock's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NorthEast Pennsylvania, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 373
That's a good solid, honest (I think) review. I don't know if I'd be able to stick my K10d in a fountain though, even if it is weather resistant!
06-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,195
Nothings better than having a well priced, great bang for the buck camera and sticking a comically overpriced DA* lens on it

Last edited by cali92rs; 06-21-2012 at 09:34 PM.
06-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,035
QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
if I'd be able to stick my K10d in a fountain though
My Samsung GX 10 (K10D) has been through heavy downpours unscathed, has even been washed under a running tap. The K5 though, is a different story, it got its first taste of rain two weekends ago, and the on/off lever became very difficult to operate, wouldn't go to "off" position at all. I am scared to take it in the rain now, even though on/off switch is okay after flossing.

06-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Nothings better than having a well priced, great bang for the buck camera and sticking a comically overpriced DA* lens on it
That looks like a DA 18-135 in the pics to me, not a DA*.
06-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,195
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
That looks like a DA 18-135 in the pics to me, not a DA*.
I understand that...I was commenting that Pentax makes this great camera for its price while it's lens prices are out of wack.
06-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: bev
Posts: 175
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I understand that...I was commenting that Pentax makes this great camera for its price while it's lens prices are out of wack.
Except that they're not. That's not subjective; every DA* lens is objectively cheaper than its competitor on Amazon.

I think the review was well written. The high-iso comments were a bit much; 12,000 ISO? ha, that'd be pretty cool to use but I could easily use 3200 or even 6400. I would have liked a bit more on the camera's autofocus.
06-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,195
QuoteOriginally posted by jk333 Quote
Except that they're not. That's not subjective; every DA* lens is objectively cheaper than its competitor on Amazon.

I think the review was well written. The high-iso comments were a bit much; 12,000 ISO? ha, that'd be pretty cool to use but I could easily use 3200 or even 6400. I would have liked a bit more on the camera's autofocus.
Its competitor being the sigma 70-200mm or the Canon 70-200mm f4L? Because both of those are cheaper than the Pentax 60-250mm.

06-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,165
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Nothings better than having a well priced, great bang for the buck camera and sticking a comically overpriced DA* lens on it
the pictures they posted with the water were not the 50-135 they were the 18-135WR- so the Kit lens
06-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the pictures they posted with the water were not the 50-135 they were the 18-135WR- so the Kit lens
Looking at photos of the K-30 with the 18-135, I can't help but think that the K-30 was designed to work with the 18-135. They look so much of a piece together.
06-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,165
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Looking at photos of the K-30 with the 18-135, I can't help but think that the K-30 was designed to work with the 18-135. They look so much of a piece together.
agreed they do look good together. a K5 came up locally on CL with the 18-135 for 999 and has been tempting me. it doesn't look as nice as this combo (though for me the K5 is the better cam)
06-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
agreed they do look good together. a K5 came up locally on CL with the 18-135 for 999 and has been tempting me. it doesn't look as nice as this combo (though for me the K5 is the better cam)
WOW, that's a really good price!!! Is the seller giving details, like # of shutter actuations?
06-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,165
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
WOW, that's a really good price!!! Is the seller giving details, like # of shutter actuations?
nope, I would ask a lot before meeting up
If actuations are good it's a good price, I saw a D700 on ebay today though where the seller stated only 175000 actuations lmao - and they wanted $1800 or so BIN

the thing is not being a huge zoom user the 18-135 only holds limited appeal so it's value to me isn't really much more than my 18-55WR. If it was with a DA21 Or DA70 at that price i would be more tempted (both those lenses sell for about the same as the 18-135WR up here and both are on my short list to add to the bag)
06-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
a K5 came up locally on CL with the 18-135 for 999 and has been tempting me. it doesn't look as nice as this combo (though for me the K5 is the better cam)
IMO the K-5 and 18-135 were indeed made for each other in looks and performance. The combo is so good together.
06-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Pentaxian
StephenHampshire's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winchester
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,060
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
agreed they do look good together. a K5 came up locally on CL with the 18-135 for 999 and has been tempting me. it doesn't look as nice as this combo (though for me the K5 is the better cam)
You can't see your own camera when you look through the viewfinder....* .I have the K5 and 18-135 WR combo and they work a treat! Paid 720 less 90 rebate for the body in Nov 11, 349 for the 18-135 in April this year, and pleased with that. The K30 should work just as well and I quite fancy focus peaking as I have a fair bit of manual focus glass.

*unless you are pointing it at a mirror.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-30, k-50, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engadget review (they think it sucks) deadwolfbones Pentax Q 20 10-26-2011 01:06 PM
techradar's Hands on Pentax Q review ben-pentax Pentax News and Rumors 5 09-02-2011 08:37 AM
Spider Camera Holster review on Engadget - Be like the cowboy you always wanted to be Livewireshock Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 13 03-10-2010 03:51 AM
engadget : Pentax K-7 review roundup jogiba Pentax News and Rumors 4 07-02-2009 03:40 AM
Engadget gets its hands on white k2000 and new p&s's eclipsed450 Pentax News and Rumors 47 01-10-2009 11:51 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:41 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top