Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Ordering from Japan

I am planning on purchasing a new K-30 very soon (unless the reviews make clear that the K-5 is clearly better in terms of IQ). I am in the US, but have family coming from Japan next month. What are the practical issues with having them bring a new camera from Japan in terms of warranty, service, etc.? If anyone who has experience with such matters could shed a little light on this subject, it would be much appreciated, Thank you.

06-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I bought my K-5 off of eBay from a seller in Japan and sent it to Pentax US for service. I just sent a copy of the receipt with it. I did also have the US extended warranty that you can buy for cheap at places like Adorama or B&H. That might have helped?
06-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
I bought my K-5 off of eBay from a seller in Japan and sent it to Pentax US for service. I just sent a copy of the receipt with it. I did also have the US extended warranty that you can buy for cheap at places like Adorama or B&H. That might have helped?
Pentax US takes care of products purchased via a US dealer. This may not turn out as you wanted.

Please let us know how it works out ...
06-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So what happens to anyone visiting another country on vacation/business/holiday who buys a new camera while travelling. Happens all the time with exchange rates and duty-free. I've never done it myself so have no idea. Surely there is an international manufacturer warranty. I believe it applies to lenses, so what about the cameras themselves?

06-25-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just ask Pentax USA... there's no harm in doing so..

"If I bought a camera from an authorised Pentax Japan retailer, will Pentax USA honour the warranty?"
06-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Albums
A non legal professional commenting on a bunch of legal issues here - but not giving advice...

Outside of being with the united states military or on some sort of diplomatic duty... That according to our united states government; purchases made overseas can be a bit complicated. One must technically pay duty and taxes on it when shipping it or bringing it through customs. As to how many people do thats another issue all together.

But yes american customs soes occassionally get people (even companies) on it. Such fees would also override any and all costs in saving money when purchasing something overseas; minus items like certains cars, watches, diamonds, etc...

And another law many people don't know about... According to customs, the internal revenue service, and two other government agencies... One must also document and report any online purchase that crosses state lines and also pay "local" taxes on that item. BTW this was not tracked year ending 2010, but was in fact very accurately tracked for year ending 2011
06-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Pentax US takes care of products purchased via a US dealer. This may not turn out as you wanted.

Please let us know how it works out ...
Oh, the camera was accepted and fixed. They didn't question anything. That was well over a year ago.
06-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera comes with a 1 year international warranty why wouldn't they fix it?
they may charge an admin fee (Pentax Canada does - $50 I believe) but they will service it. Given you bought the US extended warranty even if they had an admin fee for international warranty service i imagine they would have waived it.