Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,168
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax is living in the present. Are you? They're not a full-service pro camera system any more.

Wow - that was fast !! Eight whole months.
there's that important word again.
That's a pretty bold accusation. Would you care to show me an analysis of Ricoh's Income Statement to back that one up? - because I sure would like to see proof of all this rapacious profit. And so would the enire investment community of the rest of the world.
Yeah. They certainly did respond to Hoya's careful stewardship of the brand.

My future daughter-in-law will put a card at every seat at her wedding reception listing the link to an iPhone/Android app that will auto upload every photo to her pesonal wedding cloud sitre - thus putting the "Super Mom Who Now Is A Professional Photographer" out of business.

Grow up. You don't have to look at Flickr. So don't.

Her father and I will spend between us north of $15,000 for engagement, rehearsal dinner, portrait, wedding and reception photos. We buy professional photos when they are warranted and we buy the best. We'll order perhaps 100 prints, framed, when all is said and done, many of them display-sized. Plus the Album and DVD.

Here's the relevant point. Her guy shoots Nikon - but get this, Joe. I showed him my K-01. He liked it for what it is - a nice camera for my needs, as they are. He suggested I pass it around the rehearsal dinner and let everyone take stills or movies to give to the couple. He's not a snob - he's a pro.

Of course, that's what gave my future daugfhter-in-law the idea to set up the cloud site.
Agreed on every point, I don't see want the problem is. the 80% of sales in the market that is he entry mid level is what pays the bills not the enthusiast pro segment - that is the profit after everything is paid for by the entry level volume items. I'm all for more soccer moms and green mode shooters buying the camera and occasionally getting in my way at events (heck i just barge by them anyway, if i have a shot to get for an assignment i do what i need to) the more users that come to the brand the more money Pentax will have to spend developing the products I would like. I really don't care what the other guy shoots as long as I like what I shoot.
If they went the elitist route you rant for they wouldn't be around for long.
As for the profits they are raking in WTF are you on about. If it's the lens increases bitch about BH and Adorama making more money AFAIK Pentax did not raise dealer cost just held them to the dealership agreement.

Honestly years of why dont they market the brans, they never advertise blah blah , then they get some free press of a campaign that costs some money and uses a "star" who will draw people to the brand (who probably never heard of Pentax before this) and its time to bitch about the type of marketing

Unless you are at the head of a proven marketing team who build brand awareness in divergent markets and grows brand sales your opinion counts for pretty much nothing. the team who developed the campaign I'm sure have more research than the opinion of on angry man on a forum

06-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #32
Veteran Member
Ryan Trevisol's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 308
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
As for the profits they are raking in WTF are you on about. If it's the lens increases bitch about BH and Adorama making more money AFAIK Pentax did not raise dealer cost just held them to the dealership agreement.
And in that regard it's a good thing that they're enforcing unilateral pricing. Then they can sell at Walmart all they want - it won't hurt them any more than it's hurt Apple to sell iPods and iPhones at Walmart, where the price is, at most, $0.02 cheaper than elsewhere.
06-25-2012, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #33
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,497
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
@monochrome - Listen, I don't know why you feel the need to be aggressive, nobody on this thread has been aggressive. Do you have a problem or something?
Joe.Penn: Most of the time I enjoy your comments - but "rape" is a pretty aggressive word. Annoyed with ("bad") photographers who are "in your way" is a pretty aggressively snobby attitude. Implying that certain photographers are "unserious" is a pretty agressive aspersion.

Etc.

Then again, I bought a K-01 and I like it, so I guess I should just stay in my place and not make comments on a serious web Forum.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-25-2012 at 01:41 PM.
06-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #34
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
As for the profits they are raking in WTF are you on about. If it's the lens increases bitch about BH and Adorama making more money AFAIK Pentax did not raise dealer cost just held them to the dealership agreement.
AFAYK, floorplanning with floating cost's (cost's which are affected by internal dealer rebates), maybe B&H or other authorized dealers can come to light on this.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Unless you are at the head of a proven marketing team who build brand awareness in divergent markets and grows brand sales your opinion counts for pretty much nothing. the team who developed the campaign I'm sure have more research than the opinion of on angry man on a forum
So we would hope. As for being an angry man (if that was somewhat directed at me), no one said I was angry, I expressed my opinion just as others expressed the same or different opinion(s).

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Well then I guess I don't understand your position.
My position is just as I have stated it, the latest marketing attempt IMO sucks.

06-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #35
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Joe.Penn: Most of the time I enjoy your comments - but "rape" is a pretty aggressive word. Annoyed with ("bad") photographers who are "in your way" is a pretty aggressively snobby attitude. Implying that certain photographers nare "unserious" is a pretty agressive aspersion.
Ok, aggressive, yes, I am from the city and that is actually a very "used" word and not meant to be like the actual word, sorry if that offended anyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
No, seriously though
I was actually joking around, that is why I put that on the next starting paragraph. Sorry if that offended anyone.

-----------------

Again, I am just expressing my thoughts on the advertising campaign and maybe it has blown up into other frustrations, sorry for that...
06-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #36
Pentaxian
Mareket's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chester
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 719
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
My position is just as I have stated it, the latest marketing attempt IMO sucks.
The fact that the word "Pentax" is in a newspaper like The Daily Mail, which is god-awful but widely read, with a model people might know of is the best marketing I've seen Pentax do. Ever. Most people I know are surprised Pentax even make DSLRs.

It sure beats dumping s*** on your camera and photographing it.
06-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #37
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,497
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
My position is just as I have stated it, the latest marketing attempt IMO sucks.
Ok, so let me back off a bit and return to my more customary, rational self. As I wrote, almost all the time I enjoy your comments.

Ricoh has had Pentax for eight months. Customarily in these takeovers, the first six months the buyer immediately places an executive in charge of the new acquisition, who then surveys what they bought, but really does nothing except legal stuff (PRIAC) (check). At the six month anniversary, usually on the dot, there is a large change, intended to smoke out those who can adapt to change and those who are resistant (check; can you say Unilateral Pricing, dealers?).

As the next six months passes the pace of changes increases (K-30, flash, patents), new processes and policies are installed, a new culture is established, synergies are established and products are altered to reflect the new owners' business ethic.

By 12 months or before sustained marketing begins to establish a refined identity for the merged company (just in time for Holiday).

By the 18th month the company is a new company and should be contributing increased cash flow and profit to the bottom line - from increased revenue and rejuvenated morale.

So far it has only been 8 months - we're not even into the "Ricoh effect" yet. Photokina will be the first chance we have to see their real intentions and spring 2013 we should see the first results.

THIS IS PURE TEXTBOOK.

It is entierly possible we will see professionjal cameras, professional support and professional marketing in spring 2013 - but PRIAC needs cash flow first - which comes from selling a whole hell of a lot of K-30's to Soccer Mom's
06-25-2012, 03:41 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,411
joe.penn, proving he just doesn't get it in post after post...

06-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member
FruitLooPs's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 434
Excellent plan, finally some visible marketing from Pentax!

Between the K30 launch bus in the US & this, it seems they've finally seen they need a good customer base to grow as a company. All power to them, random blonde model or not

Some of the old promo material is hilariously painful to watch, two people sitting a cupboard discussing the cameras features etc - just doesn't get viewership.

So long as Ricoh allows Pentax to maintain the standard of features quality build etc that the DSLRs are known for as the company grows all should be dandy IMO.
06-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #40
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
She is better looking than Ashton kutcher, at least.
06-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #41
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,497
The hell with the Stormtrooper camera. Nice Gams.

Really - what's wrong with that? We're so excited when Nesster posts an old photo of Ringo Starr with a Spotmatic!! What's the difference?
06-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #42
Veteran Member
mickey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,073
Overall, despite some of the snobbish comments, I think this is a good move by Pentax.
The spotlight is on Britain this year, what with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the Olympics, and I think that Pentax made a good move to get in on Britain's celebrations.

Not sure who the bloke is, but Sarah Harding is quite a big name(with a bit of a tarnished career), who's reasonably popular.
She was pretty years ago before going under the knife, but hey, we're drifting off-topic now...

If the ad. helps get the Pentax name out there, why should we be bothered?
Well, it's all a matter of opinion as our beloved camera maker might be going all young and trendy and not aiming at the serious photographer types.
This ad. is about the K-30.
I remember some of the campaigns for the K-x in Japan and how it got under peoples skin.

Pentax is just reaching out to a target market and I can't see a problem at all.
06-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #43
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ok, so let me back off a bit and return to my more customary, rational self. As I wrote, almost all the time I enjoy your comments.
Ricoh has had Pentax for eight months. Customarily in these takeovers, the first six months the buyer immediately places an executive in charge of the new acquisition, who then surveys what they bought, but really does nothing except legal stuff (PRIAC) (check). At the six month anniversary, usually on the dot, there is a large change, intended to smoke out those who can adapt to change and those who are resistant (check; can you say Unilateral Pricing, dealers?).
As the next six months passes the pace of changes increases (K-30, flash, patents), new processes and policies are installed, a new culture is established, synergies are established and products are altered to reflect the new owners' business ethic.
By 12 months or before sustained marketing begins to establish a refined identity for the merged company (just in time for Holiday).
By the 18th month the company is a new company and should be contributing increased cash flow and profit to the bottom line - from increased revenue and rejuvenated morale.
So far it has only been 8 months - we're not even into the "Ricoh effect" yet. Photokina will be the first chance we have to see their real intentions and spring 2013 we should see the first results.
THIS IS PURE TEXTBOOK.
It is entierly possible we will see professionjal cameras, professional support and professional marketing in spring 2013 - but PRIAC needs cash flow first - which comes from selling a whole hell of a lot of K-30's to Soccer Mom's
This is pure textbook? So, if this is pure textbook and is "Customarily in these takeovers", then why did Hoya not follow this plan?

[FWIW: I work for one of if not the largest customers of Hoya in the country and a very large customer of Ricoh, I can verify this also]

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
joe.penn, proving he just doesn't get it in post after post...
What is there to get? :: I don't like liver, I think it is nasty as hell! But, since you might think it tastes great then were all suppose to think it is great?

Me <-- Trying to find some advertising from Lexus linking mobile home parks to their marketing efforts.
Me <-- Trying to find a Breitling watch at the local Target store.
Me <-- Trying to find the sale paper from the local Roles Royce (Slash) Chevy dealer.

Oh, wait a minute - no wonder I can't find these things, Lexus, Breitling, nor Roles Royce is fond of brand dilution and knows exactly what it could do to their business.






....
06-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,255
Well I think it is excellent. Sarah comes across very well in the video, and the camera and brand get enough playtime to make it worthwhile from a marketing viewpoint.

I like the way Pentax seems to be moving under Ricoh.
06-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #45
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,600
A photo is in order:
Name:  20120615_s02-018-venni-550x367.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  101.8 KB
Looks pretty classy to to me.

A glamorous girl, patriotically promoting your country, Olympics coming soon, broad based user contest etc etc.

Furthermore: 'In honour of Great Britain in 2012, PENTAX has created two coloured versions of the new K-30 camera a Royal blue and a white version, as well as the more traditional black.'

As far as promotions go, it's hardly in-the-gutter stuff.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
britain, camera, competition, harding, images, k-30, k-50, pentax, pentax k30, pentax k50, sarah
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sarah Palin Emails.. larryinlc General Talk 35 06-16-2011 05:29 AM
Is Michele Bachmann the new Sarah Palin? jogiba General Talk 5 03-27-2011 07:46 PM
Sarah Palin's Opinion On Egypt jogiba General Talk 38 02-19-2011 04:12 PM
Sarah Palin stevewig General Talk 50 12-10-2010 03:06 PM
Sarah's flash guide markgreen55 Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 4 07-25-2010 03:36 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:34 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top