Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pentax people are strange sometimes. They are getting wide exposure for the camera and the brand. What's not to like?

What do you want Pentax to do with marketing the K-30? Only show it being used by serious Ansel Adams type dudes with pipes, or astronauts, or retired politicians (shudder!!)?

Nikon, Canon and Sony market hard across all sorts of media and advertising locations from Times Square billboards to soccer stadiums to baggage carousels at airports to teenage chick magazines. They don't exclusively target hardcore photograpghers.
Ha..ha.. this line made my day

TV ad....
Old, overweight guy with mid west drawl and Marlborough cigarette steps on an armchair
"Buy a Pentax"

Hmm......

Personally, I think Pentax is pressing all the right buttons.

Last edited by pinholecam; 06-25-2012 at 08:11 PM.
06-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #47
Veteran Member

06-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh whatever. I gave you the perfect out. I'm done here.
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
This is pure textbook? So, if this is pure textbook and is "Customarily in these takeovers", then why did Hoya not follow this plan?
Perhaps Hoya did all of that with the divisions they wanted to keep.

[FWIW: I work for one of if not the largest customers of Hoya in the country and a very large customer of Ricoh, I can verify this also]
FWIW: I work for one of the largest, safest banking organizations on Earth.

That doesn't matter for beans either.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-25-2012 at 07:47 PM.
06-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Perhaps Hoya did all of that with the divisions they wanted to keep.
This doesn't answer the question - you specifically noted "THIS IS PURE TEXTBOOK" as if you have been involved in [many] corporate buyouts and such so why didn't Hoya follow this path?

06-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #50
Veteran Member

This is pure textbook? So, if this is pure textbook and is "Customarily in these takeovers", then why did Hoya not follow this plan?

[FWIW: I work for one of if not the largest customers of Hoya in the country and a very large customer of Ricoh, I can verify this also]

What is there to get? :: I don't like liver, I think it is nasty as hell! But, since you might think it tastes great then were all suppose to think it is great?

Me <-- Trying to find some advertising from Lexus linking mobile home parks to their marketing efforts.
Me <-- Trying to find a Breitling watch at the local Target store.
Me <-- Trying to find the sale paper from the local Roles Royce (Slash) Chevy dealer.

Oh, wait a minute - no wonder I can't find these things, Lexus, Breitling, nor Roles Royce is fond of brand dilution and knows exactly what it could do to their business
Pentax is not/never has been Lexus, Breitling, or Rolls Royce. Maybe you're thinking of Leica?
06-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Sexy endorser, rugged-looking camera. Not the best of stuff to blend, but it does turn heads, so I'm fine by it. What would happen if they get Victoria's Secret Angels?

Hope they get someone serious next like Canon did with Ken Watanabe. Just so that everyone gets a delight
06-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #52
Veteran Member

They already do bother me -> they are annoying, they get in everyone's way on the streets, I am tired of yelling at them and telling them to move out of my way
[Note to self: cross the D.C. area off the list of places to visit.]

06-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Pentax is not/never has been Lexus, Breitling, or Rolls Royce. Maybe you're thinking of Leica?
No I am not thinking of Leica, I used them [the mentioned] just as an example - but speaking "OF LEICA", we can use them as the example also -> "We Wouldn't See Ray Lewis From The Baltimore Ravens In A Leica Ad" (Brand Dilution)

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
[Note to self: cross the D.C. area off the list of places to visit.]
True story - driving up (east it would be) on Pennsylvania Ave one day and a car in front of me stops in the middle of the road, the drivers door opens, door behind his opens, 3 Asians got out of the car and stood in the middle of penn ave and started taking pictures of the capital - there was no light, no stop sign, nothing in front of them, they just stopped and got out of the car while holding up traffic. Gotta love DC! I was clipped by a cab recently coming across a crosswalk while on my cruiser, I can certainly guarantee that he will never attempt to rush through a crosswalk again. Again, gotta love DC...
06-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #54

I have just upgraded to a k5, my 2 children both in there 40's have in the last 18 months bought Nikon SLR's both use them on auto. When I asked them why the didn't buy a Pentax they replied to the effect that no one really know's about Pentax. The advertising and the presence of Nikon was their reason for buying that brand it had little to do with how good the camera was . I guess that is why Pentax is trying to get people from different walks of life to imagine themselves using a Pentax, getting that first sale makes it easier in the future to to either upgrade or replace with the same brand. The more they advertise the more sales the more sales the more money to spend on R&D and isn't that what we all want.
06-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Enthusiast photography and hobby photography segment has grown bigger. Many people likes to shoot with good camera that will give them good pictures with no too much playing around. K-30 want's to fit there, and this kind a marketing is just spot on. People likes fasionable things, and many of them has money for it too.

And if anyone can success with this cam, I think tha enthusiast photog. Can do even better than that...no? As many has mentioned before me, lot of people just maybe think of buying pentax, but since it is not so known, they choose other brand.
06-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Ray Lewis might be a good spokesman for Pentax's rugged point & shoots, though.
06-26-2012, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Pentax folks are real queer.
From what I read some ppl actually prefer this :

"BUY A PENTAX"

06-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This doesn't answer the question - you specifically noted "THIS IS PURE TEXTBOOK" as if you have been involved in [many] corporate buyouts and such so why didn't Hoya follow this path?
Involved in? No, I'm not an Investment Banker.

In many corporate acquistions the buyer plans to eventually raise cash to fund part of the acquisition cost by selling parts of the acquired company that don't fit its long-range plan. In the interim the buyer won't make any capital investment in the part it plans to sell, will cut costs there, RIF redundant employees, sell redundant assets, close factories (move production to lower-cost locations), terminate low-margin products, sometimes change to a low price / high volume strategy, etc. - all in an attempt to increase return on invested capital at the non-rational division, which makes the FS division more attractive to an eventual buyer (and the sale price higher). Sound familiar?

It was written Hoya demands 20% ROIC from each division it owns,and Pentax cameras could only produce 7% in a good year (while the desirable divisions could produce the 20%).

Hoya's actions are also textbook actions - a seamier, dirtier textbook, but not uncommon nonetheless. Be thankful we're out from under Hoya's heel and that Ricoh seems to have a benign plan for Pentax. You wouldn't be happy with Hoya's plan.

Hoya gutted Pentax, then sold the husk to Ricoh for $110,000,000 (virtually nothing for a global brand, but reflective of the amount of add-on investment Ricoh will need to make in coming years to "restore the brand to its former place," as you desire). So Ricoh paid $110MMm plus an unknown-to-us amount of necessary ongoing development investment to grow the brand. It makes perfect sense to sell a whole bunch of K-30's to middle-class households who want a nice simple camera that produces great photos of the children, especially if the cash flow from those sales is plowed back into product and brand development over time. If a dodgy British model in the Daily Mail gets a bunch of new people to try Pentax during the Olympics - well good for Pentax EU for doing the deal. If they sell a bunch of K-01's to guys like me (maybe K-02's, you get the picture) then good for Pentax - and why should you care what I shoot with? (I still use a K10D and an LX if that makes you happier).

In about a year, if Ned and John can keep it together and Pentax doesn't blow the engineering, I suspect we're going to see precisely what you are asking for. I believe Ricoh intends to make Pentax the strong Number 3, which means they will need a true professional system camera. Most people here think I'm nuts, but I believe what I believe and I hear what I hear.

Of course nothing is guranteed. Things change, economies enter recession (the largest threat to Ricoh's plan is being a year later than Nikon - 2013 will be another global recession). Technology moves faster than capital. Good designs sometimes just don't resonate. Competiton sometimes just has a better idea.

The system part won't come overnight - it will take years - but it will come.

My polite suggestion is you learn to view these approaches to the fat part of the product pyramid as positives for YOUR desires - because without the consumerist approaches and products Pentax will never return to the Professional glory days of its storied past (which, face it, was really never as the leading professional camera after the SPII anyway. Those were the F2 and F1).

Last edited by monochrome; 06-26-2012 at 10:06 AM.
06-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Ray Lewis might be a good spokesman for Pentax's rugged point & shoots, though.
EXACTLY! Remember this:

This is, well, a more Ray Lewis'ish product - wouldn't you and everyone else agree?

Actually, what I mentioned earlier in the thread (about bass pro shops), put this camera in the hands of Kevin VanDam ( Kevin VanDam - #1 Angler in the World ) and run some ads, this would be a guarantee of instant success and would garner exposure that Pentax has more than likely never seen before...

06-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's a screen grab I took from the video on the Mail Online article.

This is exactly the sort of 'product placement' image of a professional using a camera that pays dividends for the likes of Nikon. That Pentax UK chose to use a competitor's camera to photograph their own camera professionally and then use that in their promotional material...