Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Here's a screen grab I took from the video on the Mail Online article.

This is exactly the sort of 'product placement' image of a professional using a camera that pays dividends for the likes of Nikon. That Pentax UK chose to use a competitor's camera to photograph their own camera professionally and then use that in their promotional material...
Hmm... they should have hired Benjikian.

06-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Hmm... they should have hired Benjikian.
Agreed!

The thing is it's what some would call a "minor issue or gaff" that "will in more times than not" have an adverse affect on an entire marketing initiative.
06-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #63
Pentaxian

How many cameras have Andre Agassi and Maria Sharapova sold for Canon? You have to see where you can increase your market share, and the young and the glitzy are definitely it for Pentax. Every good photographer who understands the various camera systems, their strengths and limitations, and has a shooting style that favours a Pentax probably already has one. It's not a name unknown to serious photographers.
06-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
EXACTLY! Remember this:

This is, well, a more Ray Lewis'ish product - wouldn't you and everyone else agree?

Actually, what I mentioned earlier in the thread (about bass pro shops), put this camera in the hands of Kevin VanDam ( Kevin VanDam - #1 Angler in the World ) and run some ads, this would be a guarantee of instant success and would garner exposure that Pentax has more than likely never seen before...

It would mean Jack Sh*t to me and many others. I'm certain it would have zero impact on the market the UK promo targets. Hell I had to google him to find out who he is. I'd have to google almost anyone to do with sports because i don't follow them and could care less about them. You are imprinting yourself as the only market worth pursuing. It's a great wide world with lots of varied consumers. In the Sub $900 entry/Mid level world the biggest chunk of it is not going to respond to the same marketing that the enthusiast will. they respond to Bl**dy Ashton Kutcher (never get that myself) and their ilk. Nothing wrong with pursuing a little of that in a market that has the worlds eyes on it right now. Monochrome has it right in my view, Hoya did squat beyond dismantling and cutting costs to make ROI look good for resale. Ricoh OTOH has to rebuild. part of rebuilding is pursuing the mass market because those $ fund the enthusiast pro markets. the prestige from the pro market helps drive consumers to the mass market models they can afford. Since the Pro tool isn't likely as a system until next year (ignoring the 645D which doesn't relate to the mass market system the way FF does) they have to use the tools at their disposal. Marketing needs to be targeted at this point on building brand awareness. You need the pop starts and models and actors at this point to get on the radar. People don't follow pro photographers they follow "stars" (sad but true)

06-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
run some ads, this would be a guarantee of instant success and would garner exposure that Pentax has more than likely never seen before
You seem to forget that sometimes women buy cameras too...
06-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You seem to forget that sometimes women buy cameras too...
Not at all - I am just ad matching. Danica Patrick would also match marketing for a rugged weather sealed camera to woman.
06-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #67
Forum Member

I'm not an ad wizard or marketing pro by any means. I have no credentials to speak of in this arena. However, I was always under the impression that there was no bad press in marketing. That the only thing that mattered was how memorable the commercial and product was. I mean for pity sake, does anyone remember the "head-on apply directly to the forehead" commercials? If you don't google it. It's quite possibly the most annoying commercial ever made by anyone in any time or place but, years later, I still remember the name and product of a small start up company. That's good marketing. I think the key to marketing this product is going to be diversification. Hit and appeal to as many markets as you can. Specifically try and hit the markets that might miss it. I remember commercials for the Dodge Caliber saying "it's anything but cute". Trying to hit the 18 to 25 male demographic. Then I realized, this thing is a glorified station wagon and they just sold it as a cool ride that could attract young girls. Genious! I think this marketing campaign is perfect, The camera getting hit with a stream of water gets the rugged outdoorsy types. This one gets the fashion conscious. More should come that hit completely different crowds. I'd like to see one aimed at soccer moms out on the go so they dont have to worry about the kids dropping juice on it or splashing mud on it or getting pool water on it for that matter. But hey, what do I know.

Did the work for ya:

Head On!

Dodge Caliber:

Last edited by Navmaxlp; 06-26-2012 at 08:38 AM.
06-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Not at all - I am just ad matching. Danica Patrick would also match marketing for a rugged weather sealed camera to woman.
Just cause it is weather sealed doesn't mean that all the campaigns should revolve around toughness and weather-beating. It's not a raincoat, where that is its whole purpose. That's just one feature.

06-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

another one I had to Google. For the target market of the UK ad Danica Patrick would have been useless.Outside the USA NASCAR has little presence, and the campaign you are B*tching about was targeted at the UK. Hell it would be better to have a football player or one of their notorious wives than some nascar driver. If anything promoting it with nascar in the UK would have the opposite effect and have loads of people making fun of it.
At least in this case she still has market presence (if somewhat diminished from her glory days) in he target market.

When Pentax US does their targeted market advertising it will probably be very different.

Honestly you could sell weather sealing just by having an ad with a soccer mom shooting the kids in the rain while the other parent huddle under umbrellas shielding their canikons form the rain
06-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Some angler, no matter how good he is at what he does will only attract a comparatively narrow target audience vs an apparently popular hot british bird. Danica Patrick is closer to the mark I guess, but still I don't think outside of the USA she is very well known (I'd wager out of the 12 people I work with maybe 3 know who she is).

It's all demographics at the end of the day, the more exposure they can garner the better

I don't see why the need to be snobby about who should use a Pentax, after all back in the film days they were often used by photography students as affordable quality cameras - a market well worth tapping again today.
06-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
Some angler, no matter how good he is at what he does will only attract a comparatively narrow target audience vs an apparently popular hot british bird. Danica Patrick is closer to the mark I guess, but still I don't think outside of the USA she is very well known (I'd wager out of the 12 people I work with maybe 3 know who she is).
Anything to do with fishing or race cars is going to be a turn-off for most urban liberal Americans, if they even see it. You also need a "hip" campaign.
06-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
It would mean Jack Sh*t to me and many others. I'm certain it would have zero impact on the market the UK promo targets. Hell I had to google him to find out who he is. I'd have to google almost anyone to do with sports because i don't follow them and could care less about them. You are imprinting yourself as the only market worth pursuing.
You know exactly what I was referring too with the Ray Lewis thing

Ray Lewis -> Alex Corbisiero

It doesn't matter if it's Ray Lewis or Alex Corbisiero, rugged is rugged, change it from american football to rugby, both sports say rugged.

BTW: Pentax started the rugged marketing...
06-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote

It's all demographics at the end of the day, the more exposure they can garner the better

I don't see why the need to be snobby about who should use a Pentax, after all back in the film days they were often used by photography students as affordable quality cameras - a market well worth tapping again today.
Exactly. Given the biggest successes Pentax ever had were the Spotmatics and the K1000 cameras which were clearly targeted at mass market and entry level, and he biggest failure was the LX (despite it's revered status it lost a boatload of cash)

Targeting the market by using someone with a broad appeal (no pun intended) in a market makes sense. A Fishing star no matter how big he is is aimed at a very narrow market. Danica patrick certainly meets the hot requirement (now that I know who she is) but same thing she is known to a narrow market that is almost entirely US based. - Both would be targeting males almost exclusively
The reason Aston Kutcher works for Nikon is he has appeal (god knows why) in many markets, but since he is a b list start at best he doesn't cost the world to hire.
If they are looking for a worldwide spokesperson I'd rather they looked down that road rather than the narrow appeal. one way or the other it wouldn't affect any decision I make on my product, but if it gets new users for a reasonable ROI than I'd be fine with it. From the look of it this UK promo probably cost them very little but got them big exposure in a mass read daily. Well played IMO
06-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Anything to do with fishing or race cars is going to be a turn-off for most urban liberal Americans, if they even see it. You also need a "hip" campaign.
Yep, nothing says urban rugged like "Mr. Urban Rugged Himself" Ray Lewis - oh, damn, that dude is about as hip as they come!

Wait A Minute - I Got It!!!

Pouring Rain At M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore)
Patriots @ Ravens
Tom Brady Drops Back For A Pass!
Whips Out His RUGGED K30!
One Handed Snaps 10 Frames of Ray Lewis Busting Through His "O" Line!
Tom Brady Gets Crushed By Ray Lewis, K30 Is Sandwiched Between Them!
Ray Lewis Gets Up, Picks Up K30, And Scrolls Through Frames!
Hey Tom, Sick Pictures For A QB!

^^^

All while wiping the mud and grit off of the camera, showing crystal clear photos of the action demonstrating the new and improved speed of the AF system also while showing off it's weather sealing! Ya, just as pentax started the rugged marketing.

Edit: This same marketing can be applied to any rugged sport the world over, and just not US based... (thought I would nip that one in the ass quickly this time)
06-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

You know exactly what I was referring too with the Ray Lewis thing

Ray Lewis -> Alex Corbisiero

It doesn't matter if it's Ray Lewis or Alex Corbisiero, rugged is rugged, change it from american football to rugby, both sports say rugged.

BTW: Pentax started the rugged marketing...
actually I had to google both. American football holds less than zero appeal to me. and though I played Rugby in school (against Prince Andrew no less - that let me play out my anti royalist stance) I don't follow the sport. the only sport I come close to following is Football....you know the game you play with your feet....otherwise known as Soccer. Even that I don't follow but I would recognize the bigger names and know a good number of teams, and will watch it on the tube if I have nothing else to do or fancy a pint at the pub. Sacrilege that it is for a Canadian I don't even follow Hockey (they lost me after the second expansion) though I do enjoy watching it once in a while like I do Football (soccer)
BTW Football is pretty Bloody rugged just try standing in the lunatic seats at a Westham game. You want rugged show a guy shooting a K30 with 18-135 wr from those seats.
This clearly was not aimed at being a Rugged marketing campaign, and was not aimed at the US so I fail to see why you take umbrage to it. I agree a rugged marketing campaign should be different , I also think a campaign for the US should be different than one for the UK .
In any case the type of marketing you are talking about is still targeting a Male audience almost exclusively. There are tons of Women using the K30 and down class camera. In families It is likely the mother who documents and keeps memories. Appealing to them drives sales. BTW it is also the Woman in many cases who is the decision maker even though they may not be the person doing the tech research, fr larger purchases they have a major say. Being on their radar is hugely important.