Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #76
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want a quick and dirty way to sell a boatload of K-30's to men get Danni Ashe, the most downloaded female on the planet, to hold a Pentax. Better yet, do a campaign of a man taking some photos of Danni Ashe with a Crystal Blue K-30 and 18-135

Of course you'll instantly and forever tarnish the brand for every Christian, Muslim and feminist woman in the world.

Consider what it costs to acquire an endorsement. I doubt Pentax could afford Cheryl Tiegs as a spokesperson, though she would resonate with the over 50 male set. Couldn't afford Eminem. He might do it - Pentax is just different enough to suit him.

Sarah Harding at this stage of her career is obviously affordable.

A journey of many years begins with a single step. Be happy that Ricoh has taken the first step!

06-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you want a quick and dirty way to sell a boatload of K-30's to men get Danni Ashe, the most downloaded female on the planet, to hold a Pentax. Better yet, do a campaign of a man taking some photos of Danni Ashe with a Crystal Blue K-30 and 18-135

Of course you'll instantly and forever tarnish the brand for every Christian, Muslim and feminist woman in the world.

Consider what it costs to acquire an endorsement. I doubt Pentax could afford Cheryl Tiegs as a spokesperson, though she would resonate with the over 50 male set. Couldn't afford Eminem. He might do it - Pentax is just different enough to suit him.

Sarah Harding at this stage of her career is obviously affordable.

A journey of many years begins with a single step. Be happy that Ricoh has taken the first step!
HAHAHA, yep Danni Ashe may not be the right spokes model.
Bet charlie sheen is going cheap now too

if you are pursing cheap it's hard to find someone with worldwide broad appeal, that costs money, Better to target individual markets with tailored marketing to the market initially. then go for the big name once you start hitting some momentum that can pay for it
This was exactly the kind of thing that works for that. cheap to do but gets broad market exposure within the target market. They already do this type of thing in Japan AFAIK. They have some star associations that resonate there but have no western world resonance
Leica has Seal - probably hits there demographic wuite well - but he was a brand user before they hooked up with him.
Moby uses canon - and has a book of photography out - wonde if canon sponsored him? he's been aking pictures longer than making music
06-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #78
Lens Buying Addict

Well PRIAC can get me pretty cheap!
06-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter

Well PRIAC can get me pretty cheap!
Me too but my ugly mug would harm the brand and scare away users

they could have me for a FF and a set of FA limiteds,
Heck a K5 and a Set of DA ltds would be nice too

06-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #80
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Me too but my ugly mug would harm the brand and scare away users

they could have me for a FF and a set of FA limiteds,
Heck a K5 and a Set of DA ltds would be nice too
Man, you are cheap. I'd hold out for a complete set of the K Series lenses and a CLA by Eric on my bodies.
06-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter

Man, you are cheap. I'd hold out for a complete set of the K Series lenses and a CLA by Eric on my bodies.
the FF with the 3 amigos probably costs about the same
06-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #82
Lens Buying Addict

OK then, a Silver LE FF and silver LE 3 Queens <g>
06-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #83
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri:
That Pentax UK chose to use a competitor's camera to photograph their own camera professionally and then use that in their promotional material...
Don't be ridiculous.
Pentax chose a publicity company. The advertising company chose a photographer. The photographer chose the camera.

06-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Don't be ridiculous.
Pentax chose a publicity company. The advertising company chose a photographer. The photographer chose the camera.
As ridiculous as using that to explain why a director would be drinking Pepsi in a promo video about the making of a Coca Cola commercial. Would never happen because they know they'd be fired. It's as bad a FUBAR as you can get.

How about the exact reverse scenario - can you imagine a Nikon or Canon promo video for one of their new cameras showing the photographer using a Pentax? That their own cameras are just not up to the job is definitely not the sort of message they want to be sending.

It's all well and good if Pentax actually wants to abandon the professional space which Nikon and Canon have been successfully chasing, and concentrate instead purely on the consumer market. Nothing wrong with that, Apple has done far better for itself with its iPods and iPhones than it ever could with its Mac Pro workstations.

What would have been so hard about lending this photographer a 645D for the day? He likely would have jumped at the chance.

Maybe nobody will care. The only reason I noticed was because I wanted to see if they used a 645D or the K-30 itself to shoot these images and why they were so blown and contrasty, so imagine my astonishment it wasn't even any Pentax at all. So that little ©Pentax in the corner there doesn't actually mean 'taken with a Pentax'...

06-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems quite obvious to me that Pentax UK really screwed the pooch hiring Ms Harding.

The obvious choices would have been Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr, both being notable Pentax customers and well, you know, Paul being Knighted and such...
06-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
can you imagine a Nikon or Canon promo video for one of their new cameras showing the photographer using a Pentax? That their own cameras are just not up to the job is definitely not the sort of message they want to be sending.
Why carry on so much?

I've seen Canon and Nikon product shoots shot with Phase One and Hasselblad's, for example.

This is similar to the issue of what cars you see in the carpark of motor vehicle assembly plants. Just because you may see a mix of brands and models in the car park, doesn't mean the cars being assembled inside the factory are bad.
06-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #87
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I've seen Canon and Nikon product shoots shot with Phase One and Hasselblad's, for example.
And probably product shots of the 645D
06-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Why carry on so much?

Bad example because it illustrates exactly what I mean - such a scenario is an open and acceptable admission by both Nikon and Canon that they have no professional MF cameras of that grade and so must rely on these others. Which is true.

This is similar to the issue of what cars you see in the carpark of motor vehicle assembly plants. Just because you may see a mix of brands and models in the car park, doesn't mean the cars being assembled inside the factory are bad.
More accurate would be showing the film crew using Toyota Landcruisers in a Ford promo video to get to the rugged location to shoot a new Ford Explorer TV advert.

We're not looking at Pentax UK employee's personal camera use. We're looking at official marketing material they are investing heavily in to reinforce the Canon 5D's professional credentials..
06-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Sarah Harding and Reggie Yates can be my Pentax ambassadors anytime.

They surely beat the "broom cupboard couple" from Pentax USA (they were sweet people, but the video could be used to illustrate the word "awkward").

Nice move by Pentax to make the (apparent) focus on "Britain" and just mention "Pentax" on the side. Clever.
06-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #90
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Seems quite obvious to me that Pentax UK really screwed the pooch hiring Ms Harding.

The obvious choices would have been Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr, both being notable Pentax customers and well, you know, Paul being Knighted and such...
paul has been a long time nikon user. the last pentax I think paul ever used was likely a spotmatic. there are a great deal more photos of him using film and digital nikons. his first wife linda was also a pretty well known nikon user.