Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
paul has been a long time nikon user...
== sarcasm

06-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
What's with American posters on this forum? The camera isn't even on sale yet and there's in-fighting and mud slinging already. Where are the mods? This thread should be locked up imo. Seriously, why do PF threads quickly degenerate and get side tracked with people more concerned about arguing over personal opinions than improving their photo skills? If you can't relate to a marketing campaign then you know you're not part of the intended marketing demographic. Why feel offended or think Pentax need to hear of your inconsequential opinions?
I think because some people have a tendency to want to feel significant in the environment they move in... e.g., "photographic community", and not just Americans. I sometimes feel the same too, like I want to feel that the head honcho gives a millisecond of consideration for my otherwise-insignificant voice. Though the feeling is also fleeting, I guess we sometimes press "submit/post reply" too quickly and just defend it afterwards.

So before someone locks this thread for overheated discussions... some cool suggestions!

Pentax wants K-30 for "fashion-forward" people, also for outdoor guys, or sporty ones?

then by all means, VICTORIA BECKHAM! and of course David. Fashion icon/hot model? Soccer mom? Vicky. Great athlete, masculine icon? David. Can't get any better than that in one package, if I were to be asked. Unless those two have signed up for Canikony, I think they're great movers. Budget blast for Ricoh though, those two in one campaign would probably be a huge talent fee drainpipe.

Or if Canon's got Ken Watanabe, how about Zhang Ziyi for Pentax?

Last edited by Alizarine; 06-27-2012 at 10:33 PM.
06-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
the body was announced and first marketed to me (and everybody else) around the globe as a rugged camera, great, Pentax is back on the ball! Then we get fashion marketing - in the end, not my cup of tea.
Ah, I see. I dunno... It's the same camera either way they market it. If I had money enough to buy one, I'd wait 'til it gets a few user beta tests under it's belt & make my decision based on that.

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
"why would an ad campaign change your opinion" or something to that matter, this question can also be asked to the users who noted how Ashton K. did it in for them on the nikon 1. [the usual fanboys overlooked that one]
I thought the Nikon 1 was a cool camera 'til I picked one up & took a few test shots with it. After using a DSLR for so long, it felt sluggish & weird.
06-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Why carry on so much?

I've seen Canon and Nikon product shoots shot with Phase One and Hasselblad's, for example.

This is similar to the issue of what cars you see in the carpark of motor vehicle assembly plants. Just because you may see a mix of brands and models in the car park, doesn't mean the cars being assembled inside the factory are bad.
A few years back a photographer told me that her shot using a film Nikon was used on a billboard showing how good a Canon digital camera was. I never asked but imagine it was the advertising agency and not Canon that selected the image.

06-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
What's with American posters on this forum? The camera isn't even on sale yet and there's in-fighting and mud slinging already. Where are the mods? This thread should be locked up imo. Seriously, why do PF threads quickly degenerate and get side tracked with people more concerned about arguing over personal opinions than improving their photo skills? If you can't relate to a marketing campaign then you know you're not part of the intended marketing demographic. Why feel offended or think Pentax need to hear of your inconsequential opinions?
HEY, I'M OFFENDED

Actually no, some of us 'muricans are pretty relaxed. I don't agree with locking the thread - it's nice to see what Pentax UK is doing to market the K-30. Pentax JP just released a new ad for the K-30 showing a guy in a windbreaker running around splashing water. People who complain and pick apart things just for complaining will always exist in one form or another. It'd be nice for mods to step in and warn us to be civil after a few back and forths though.
06-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
A few years back a photographer told me that her shot using a film Nikon was used on a billboard showing how good a Canon digital camera was. I never asked but imagine it was the advertising agency and not Canon that selected the image.
Happens all the time. Sadly the Ad agency doesn't always look at the optics should it become known. anyone who is informed wouldn't care because they realise the camera is just a tool and that most cameras on the market are very capable. It's the uninformed who may be swayed to the opposing brand
06-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #112
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Happens all the time. Sadly the Ad agency doesn't always look at the optics should it become known
From a marketing Case Study I read in Grad School - I remember seeing the ads on television, and afterward seeing the "Bull in a China Shop" ads.

IMHO this is the all-time classic advertising optics fail:

In the late 70's, when it appeared the stock market was going to finally emerge from the long bear, Merrill Lynch ran a series of "Thundering Herd" ads in which a herd of longhorns stampeded across the prarie.

The tag line was, "Merrill Lynch. We're Bullish on America"

Then it came out that the ad was filmed in Durango, Mexico.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-29-2012 at 09:20 AM.
06-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
On the other hand, I quite enjoy Sharapova's talking dog.
Is that what the kids are calling it these days? I never can keep up with the slang...

06-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When I first saw the thread title I misread it as saying "Moral Tonya Harding Provides PR for the K-30". I was like WTF?! Tonya Harding is hardly moral and what is she doing giving PR for anything other than the latest tech in collapsible police batons!

I had no idea who Sarah Harding was before this but am happy to see Pentax putting some marketing out there. I'm curious what their advertising efforts are going to look like on the other side of the pond once they materialize. I'm not aware of any US campaigns at the moment.
06-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
I'm not aware of any US campaigns at the moment.
It's different in every part of the world. I wish they'd do a worldwide campaign or at least follow one...