Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Model Sarah Harding Provides PR for the K-30

London Daily Mail
June 25, 2012

Sarah Harding, "English singer-songwriter, actress and model," and the Pentax K-30 are the subjects of a new London Daily Mail article. Yes, this is pure fluff (generated by Pentax-Ricoh, no less), but at least it is positive fluff, and it is getting good coverage from the fluff-obsessed MSM:
Behind the camera for once: Sarah Harding flies the flag for Britain in sexy new photo campaign

Sarah Harding poses with a Pentax K-30 DSLR camera to launch the Meet Britain competition. [photo caption]

Sarah and The Voice co-host Reggie Yates have launched the Pentax Meet Britain campaign, a nationwide competition to find positive images of Britain.

Using the new Pentax K-30 DSLR camera, Sarah and Reggie will submit their own set of images, demonstrating people and places which make Britain so special. Click here to read the rest.

Last edited by Welfl; 06-25-2012 at 09:33 AM.
06-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well that's great, that has just instantly turned my thoughts from the K30 being somewhat of a good secondary camera to my K5 to wiping it off of my list - honestly, WTF is Ricoh thinking with this candy ass fashion marketing? Really, come on, thought they were over that crap with the K01, what a way to continue to drive the Pentax brand name in the ground...
06-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Joe, this is just not doing it for me.

And, Sarah Harding is showing poor technique in the second photo.
06-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sorry, but if marketing choices were that important to your camera purchasing decision, how did you end up on Pentax in the first place? I would think the previous general lack of any PR exposure would have been more troubling than putting some fashion model in a picture with it. It's certainly not worse for Pentax's image than this:

Decide to buy the camera or not on its merits - the marketing you see above is for people who wouldn't have known about the K-30 otherwise. The K-30 is not targeted at pros. The fact that it's a great camera at a great price makes pros consider it, but the marketing materials are not targeted at serious shooters. You can't blame Pentax for wanting to target a wider audience . . . they're in the business to sell cameras.

Does it cheapen the camera? A little. Would it make me want to buy the K-30 any more than I already do? No. Does it mean that somehow the camera is less capable than it was before?

06-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The camera does it enough for me. This ad campaign is for those who don't look past the megapixel numbers. It's fine by me.
06-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It is image marketing, it works, and they should do a lot more of it. Has Aston Kutcher sunk Nikon? Maria Sharapova and Andre Agassi ruined Canon?
06-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think it's good that they are targeting more mainstream. As long as they can continue to focus on their strengths, more audience means more money means more R&D spending money and hopefully that means wider and better product line in the future...

06-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax people are strange sometimes. They are getting wide exposure for the camera and the brand. What's not to like?

What do you want Pentax to do with marketing the K-30? Only show it being used by serious Ansel Adams type dudes with pipes, or astronauts, or retired politicians (shudder!!)?

Nikon, Canon and Sony market hard across all sorts of media and advertising locations from Times Square billboards to soccer stadiums to baggage carousels at airports to teenage chick magazines. They don't exclusively target hardcore photograpghers.
06-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It is image marketing, it works, and they should do a lot more of it. Has Aston Kutcher sunk Nikon? Maria Sharapova and Andre Agassi ruined Canon?
Kutcher killed Nikon for me. Sharapova on the other hand.. *whistles*
06-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I'm with JinDesu on the Kutcher thing, I even recall ranting to my wife about it. And I don't like Nikon to begin with. On the other hand, I quite enjoy Sharapova's talking dog.
06-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
I'm sorry, but if marketing choices were that important to your camera purchasing decision, how did you end up on Pentax in the first place?
I ended up with Pentax many many years ago on it's merits of being able to deliver and the brand at the time being known as the professionals choice.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
You can't blame Pentax for wanting to target a wider audience . . . they're in the business to sell cameras.
We can however blame Ricoh for driving the brand into the ground. Most Pentax users (well, most users that are serious in making pictures using the Pentax brand) want to see some of the profits that they are raping us for put to good use in advertising to help build the brand back to where it once was - no wonder why the 3rd party glass makers are distancing themselves from Pentax.
06-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FFS I've been here for 5 years and all I've ever heard is no effing marketing, no effing marketing. Now they're marketing and all I'm hearing is, "Well that tears it. An effing lightweight model is marketing."

I'm out. Who wants some nice K lenses?
06-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Nikon, Canon and Sony market hard across all sorts of media and advertising locations from Times Square billboards to soccer stadiums to baggage carousels at airports to teenage chick magazines. They don't exclusively target hardcore photograpghers.
And look at the body's they are doing it with - the "pull it out and push the button" bodies sold at walmart and target, the exact crowd that those bodies were targeted for. Is the K30 the next Walmart camera? Is the K30 the next "Super Mom Who Now Is A Professional Photographer Making $10 Per Hour And Killing The Industry" camera?
06-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
And look at the body's they are doing it with - the "put it out and push the button" bodies sold at walmart and target, the exact crowd that those bodies were targeted for. Is the K30 the next Walmart camera? Is the K30 the next "Super Mom Who Now Is A Professional Photographer Making $10 Per Hour And Killing The Industry" camera?
Why not? If they can get it into Walmart, they'd be foolish not to. Why would lots of "push the button" users bother you?
06-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax, in recent history, has not had much of a marketing budget. I'd simply rather have them spend the money on more meat & potatoes campaigns.