Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2012, 05:13 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Well that's great, that has just instantly turned my thoughts from the K30 being somewhat of a good secondary camera to my K5 to wiping it off of my list - honestly, WTF is Ricoh thinking with this candy ass fashion marketing? Really, come on, thought they were over that crap with the K01, what a way to continue to drive the Pentax brand name in the ground...
So much negativity. Take the camera for what it is and make your choices based on that. NOT a marketing campaign that isn't even meant for you. I see nothing wrong with this. More exposure is good. And the Daily Mail has a lot of readers.

06-27-2012, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #92
Banned

this thread was a good reminder of why joe.penn is on my ignore list. just wow.
06-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
As ridiculous as using that to explain why a director would be drinking Pepsi in a promo video about the making of a Coca Cola commercial. Would never happen because they know they'd be fired. It's as bad a FUBAR as you can get.

How about the exact reverse scenario - can you imagine a Nikon or Canon promo video for one of their new cameras showing the photographer using a Pentax? That their own cameras are just not up to the job is definitely not the sort of message they want to be sending.

It's all well and good if Pentax actually wants to abandon the professional space which Nikon and Canon have been successfully chasing, and concentrate instead purely on the consumer market. Nothing wrong with that, Apple has done far better for itself with its iPods and iPhones than it ever could with its Mac Pro workstations.

What would have been so hard about lending this photographer a 645D for the day? He likely would have jumped at the chance.

Maybe nobody will care. The only reason I noticed was because I wanted to see if they used a 645D or the K-30 itself to shoot these images and why they were so blown and contrasty, so imagine my astonishment it wasn't even any Pentax at all. So that little ©Pentax in the corner there doesn't actually mean 'taken with a Pentax'...
I would not be surprised to find Nikon and Canon (and others ) studio Product shots taken by a hassy or mamiya (or for that matter an Alpa with a digital back)
Handing a tog who shoots all the time with a canon a 645 and saying here shoot with this today instead would be a recipe for disaster. a big chunk of consistent good results for any tog is knowing the camera inside out so they don't have to think just react.. If it was Benjikan getting handed the cam for the day he could do it because the functionality transfers. I'm guessing Benjikan is more expensive for the day than the budget allowed (his daily is very high, they could hand him a 645D and a lens say keep it and still owe him money)
06-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #94
Veteran Member

@séamuis - or maybe it is because how I have embarrassed you time after time again, I think most know that is the reason...

06-27-2012, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I would not be surprised to find Nikon and Canon (and others ) studio Product shots taken by a hassy or mamiya (or for that matter an Alpa with a digital back)
Yep, sure - would be surprised to see them shown in their promotional videos though then shown to the masses.
06-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Camera toughness? Give one to Stallone. Or Jason Statham. Maybe that will give an impression of "toughness"
06-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Camera toughness? Give one to Stallone. Or Jason Statham. Maybe that will give an impression of "toughness"
Someone get on this for the Expendables 3!!

QuoteQuote:
*Statham and Stallone in camo and facepaint in the jungle*
Stallone [with K-30 and DA* 500]: Looks like we found our boys. *chuckle* [shows Statham screen]
Statham [with sniper rifle]: Nice shot, mate. [shoots guys]
Stallone: Nice shot, mate.
*riotous laughter and fist bumping*

06-27-2012, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this thread was a good reminder of why joe.penn is on my ignore list. just wow.
@séamuis - or maybe it is because how I have embarrassed you time after time again, I think most know that is the reason...
In my humble opinion (not that I'm always able to exercise this judgement) the best way to Ignore a poster is to just ignore the posts.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-27-2012 at 12:01 PM.
06-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #99
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
ive never been embarrassed by you. for you, maybe. but not by you. thats just your ego staking its claim, which is again showing, and which is just one of more than a few reasons why your posts I no longer see. you think your opinions are the be all end all, and you are about the most immature narrow minded person ive sever seen on this forum, or any forum. or really life in general. I’m sure you’ll be bothered to respond in typical fashion, only further proving me right, unfortunately. I won’t see it though unless quoted, so have fun with that.

Last edited by séamuis; 06-27-2012 at 08:59 AM.
06-27-2012, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well that's great, that has just instantly turned my thoughts from the K30 being somewhat of a good secondary camera to my K5 to wiping it off of my list
Well, of course. An advertisement can instantly transform the product itself from awesome to a steaming pile of dogshit. Kudos to your sense of logic, my good man.
06-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Well, of course. An advertisement can instantly transform the product itself from awesome to a steaming pile of dogshit. Kudos to your sense of logic, my good man.
Wow, you really made me look back through the thread looking for any post or any hint of anything mentioning the K30 is a "steaming pile of dogshit", actually I couldn't find a single post or anything mentioning really anything about the camera itself, even my original post only mentioned that it would not be on my list? The thread is about marketing, are you sure you posted on the correct thread? Kudos to your sense of logic, my good man.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Someone get on this for the Expendables 3!!
Yep, exactly how Pentax started to market the body! Tough and rugged.

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
ive never been embarrassed by you. for you, maybe. but not by you. thats just your ego staking its claim, which is again showing, and which is just one of more than a few reasons why your posts I no longer see. you think your opinions are the be all end all, and you are about the most immature narrow minded person ive sever seen on this forum, or any forum. or really life in general. I’m sure you’ll be bothered to respond in typical fashion, only further proving me right, unfortunately. I won’t see it though unless quoted, so have fun with that.
First, I was CERTAIN that using the '@ mention' would get the message through the filters, and that is specifically why I did not quote you and used this system.

Ya, my opinion of marketing is the "be all end all", really? And I am twisting....peoples....arms.... forcing them to like my opinion of this campaign?

Is it a slow day or something in the political spew forum? Or did you just get tired of your every day "merry-go-round" posts expressing your hatred of the country? Next time kid why don't you troll somewhere else...

Oh - And since now I know the '@ mention' system does not get around the filter, maybe someone could be so kind and quote this reply...

---
06-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, you really made me look back through the thread looking for any post or any hint of anything mentioning the K30 is a "steaming pile of dogshit", actually I couldn't find a single post or anything mentioning really anything about the camera itself, even my original post only mentioned that it would not be on my list? The thread is about marketing, are you sure you posted on the correct thread? Kudos to your sense of logic, my good man.
So what exactly did you mean by "Well that's great, that has just instantly turned my thoughts from the K30 being somewhat of a good secondary camera to my K5 to wiping it off of my list"? I took it as you saying you initially thought it was a good camera, but since you didn't like the marketing campaign, it was no longer worthy of consideration. Am I missing something?

I'm not arguing with you. I personally would rather base my purchases on whether it was a good product, rather than whether I like the ad campaign.
06-27-2012, 06:28 PM - 2 Likes   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's with American posters on this forum? The camera isn't even on sale yet and there's in-fighting and mud slinging already. Where are the mods? This thread should be locked up imo. Seriously, why do PF threads quickly degenerate and get side tracked with people more concerned about arguing over personal opinions than improving their photo skills? If you can't relate to a marketing campaign then you know you're not part of the intended marketing demographic. Why feel offended or think Pentax need to hear of your inconsequential opinions?

Last edited by creampuff; 06-27-2012 at 06:40 PM.
06-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Idunno whats wrong people, I think it's an exciting time to be fan of pentax gear... No matter who they market it too, I'm the last person you'll catch at a fashion show, but pentax is my first pick camera, film or digital...
06-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
What's with American posters on this forum? The camera isn't even on sale yet and there's in-fighting and mud slinging already. Where are the mods? This thread should be locked up imo. Seriously, why do PF threads quickly degenerate and get side tracked with people more concerned about arguing over personal opinions than improving their photo skills? If you can't relate to a marketing campaign then you know you're not part of the intended marketing demographic. Why feel offended or think Pentax need to hear of your inconsequential opinions?
Well, it's not just american posters. This thread got sidetracked as soon as certain users felt it necessary to jump in and get aggressive, seems like an all too common occurrence for some whenever anything is said negative about the brand. If users don't like someones opinion than ignore it, really simple to do. IMHO, they should ignore it and help other users for once, after all this is a forum where users come for help.

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
So what exactly did you mean by "Well that's great, that has just instantly turned my thoughts from the K30 being somewhat of a good secondary camera to my K5 to wiping it off of my list"? I took it as you saying you initially thought it was a good camera, but since you didn't like the marketing campaign, it was no longer worthy of consideration. Am I missing something?
I'm not arguing with you. I personally would rather base my purchases on whether it was a good product, rather than whether I like the ad campaign.
Again, it's just my opinion, the body was announced and first marketed to me (and everybody else) around the globe as a rugged camera, great, Pentax is back on the ball! Then we get fashion marketing - in the end, not my cup of tea. Simple fact is it doesn't matter what camera I am shooting with so merits really don't entice me all the much either - after the K01, a lot of people are asking "Will The Real Pentax Please Step Up", hopefully they will come the K5 replacement.

Btw: Whoever noted "why would an ad campaign change your opinion" or something to that matter, this question can also be asked to the users who noted how Ashton K. did it in for them on the nikon 1. [the usual fanboys overlooked that one]