Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
I've taken a few video clips over the day, mostly deleted though just fooling about. The Autofocus racking during filming is very audible and the AF often racks past and back a bit before locking, but the idea for decent film would be manual anyhow I would imagine.
Whoa wait... so you mean the K-30 can AF during video?

07-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Whoa wait... so you mean the K-30 can AF during video?
Good catch.. if the AF doesn't work in video, sound doesn't matter.. but if it can.. helloooo SDM lenses...
07-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Also if you could post some sample videos taken with it as well that'd be grand!
07-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The cam doesn't focus on the fly in video but pressing the AF button focuses, yes hmm i didn't think of SDM lenses yes they might work better

07-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
The cam doesn't focus on the fly in video but pressing the AF button focuses, yes hmm i didn't think of SDM lenses yes they might work better
What we meant was - the K-01 doesn't allow any AF action while the video is recording, even if you press the AF button. Does the K-30 allow Autofocusing while the video is recording?
07-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
What we meant was - the K-01 doesn't allow any AF action while the video is recording, even if you press the AF button. Does the K-30 allow Autofocusing while the video is recording?
Yes, it does.
07-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #52
Veteran Member

That's good news!

07-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Looks like I made a mistake, seems that the K-01 had the AF button as well, just no continuous AF tracking. I wonder if the K-30 has that ;x
07-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Ah interesting. I don't think you really want continuous AF on video IMO.
07-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Looks like I made a mistake, seems that the K-01 had the AF button as well, just no continuous AF tracking. I wonder if the K-30 has that ;x
Not that i've seen, I just tried it in AF.C mode and the options for Contrast AF "Tracking" - didn't do any focusing as I went. Maybe with SDM who knows - it's probably all in the manual which is up online anyhow.
07-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #56
Inactive Account

Four pages and nothing then photos of cats and walks around the park... :P

..HOW DO YOU LIKE THE FFING CAMERA??? Write your thoughts in alot of details please!!

How is the menu speed/responsiveness
How is the viewfinder...is your red focus dot aligned in the center, is there all the shooting information, is it similar to the k5??
How good is the autofocus now really? better then k5? More accurate, faster, how precise/fine are the focus points?
How does the body feel in the hand? Does it feel strong and powerfull or more plasticy and mid range like? (canon 600D, sony A65 etc...)
How is the screen? Sharper and clearer then previous pentax cameras or no change there?
Image quality, how is the dynamic range? iso performance...can you clean up ISO 3200 files in lightroom and pull out decent prints for 16x24 inches?
How fast is image preview? No lag or slight lag?

Ok i know. You're enjoying the camera all the time right now... no time for reviews. :P But im really excited to hear how it really is in a general perspective!!

Cheers!

Last edited by ZizZ^; 07-05-2012 at 02:31 PM.
07-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZizZ^ Quote
Four pages and nothing then photos of cats and walks around the park... :P

..HOW DO YOU LIKE THE FFING CAMERA??? Write your thoughts in alot of details please!!

How is the viewfinder...is your red focus dot aligned in the center, is there all the shooting information, is it similar to the k5??
How good is the autofocus now really? better then k5? More accurate, faster, how precise/fine are the focus points?
How does the body feel in the hand? Does it feel strong and powerfull or more plasticy and mid range like? (canon 600D, sony A65 etc...)
How is the screen? Sharper and clearer then previous pentax cameras or no change there?
Image quality, how is the dynamic range? iso performance...can you clean up ISO 3200 files in lightroom and pull out decent prints for 16x24 inches?

Ok i know. You're enjoying the camera all the time right now... no time for reviews. :P But im really excited to hear how it really is in a general perspective!!

Cheers!
More cats just for your annoyance (720p 30fps 70-300@300mm macro sound off)

QuoteOriginally posted by ZizZ^:
Seem perfectly fine to me, i've not had it slow down at any point yet. Speed wise, it scrolls through shooting options pretty quickly.

QuoteQuote:
It's good, mine seems aligned perfectly - shooting information is all there in green (ISO, SR Shutter Aperture, RAW etc usual stuff nice and bright easy to read. I don't have nor have ever had a k5 but its the same as this image from K5 so seems identical. Both are 100% coverage and 0.92x magnification AFAIK.

QuoteQuote:
The plastic feels a bit different to my K20D, though they appear to have the same slight flecked paint finish but I couldn't be sure since I don't have my K20D anymore. The grip rubber material is nice, and gives a quality feel. I haven't felt a 600D/sony, only a 350D years and years ago which was light plastic and horrible - this feels much much closer to my old K100D and pretty decent, weight is less than my K20D obviously but still has a fairly good heft to it - doesn't feel fragile to me. I've stated its definitely small to hold (coming from K20D anyhow) and first day i found it a bit uncomfortable, days after that have been fine however and it is nice to have a more compact camera.

QuoteQuote:
The screen is a step up from my K20D, in terms of size and resolution - Seems plenty bright and clear, not sure if its any diff to the K5? both are 920k 3"

QuoteQuote:
I've not had a change to really play around with RAW files, and i'm at work at the moment sadly. Performance should be very close to K-01 anyhow.

QuoteQuote:
slight lag, maybe 0.5sec but not instant. Seems the same whether its RAW or JPG 16M or 5M so either its my card speed (16gig class10) or just how the camera goes, it doesn't worry me seems at least the same as K20D maybe better
07-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #58

I never knew there was such a demand for info on the K30. I have shot pictures and played with it extensively at a photography show. I didn't get to keep the pics (although I did slip my card into the 645D when they let me handle it ).
07-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #59
Veteran Member

AF while recording video. WOOHOOO!!! Finally. Nice move for Pentax! (and with its superb 60fps viewing rate....hmmmmm....)
07-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
@FruitLooPs: A truly demanding test of a camera's AF system is one that involves a subject moving rapidly toward the camera then quickly changing direction. Cameras like the Canon EOS-1D X and Nikon D4 have the ability to "sense" these situations and react accordingly (that's why Canon's implementation is called AI Servo—artificial intelligence), so focus is always spot-on. I'd really like to see how well the K-30's AF system performs in a situation like this—is Pentax becoming a viable alternative to C&N for sports photographers?

I've got a feeling (based on the press release and your early tests) that the K-30 behaves much more intelligently when tracking subjects compared to the K-5, but let's cross our fingers...

--DragonLord