Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yeah its output from the photos in the video, I think much was helped by the fact the distance to the cars never altered too much so AF wasn't working heavily.

I will try and do some cat indoors stuff now. I must say though the Focus Lamp is really amazing to me - compared to having none on the K20D anyhow. In liveview I was able to lock focus using it in a dark room (lights off no curtains open, slight glow in the room from sun behind curtains nothing more) from 2.5 meters away on books in bookcase - I took photo with flash and it was spot on.

07-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, looks good!
07-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #33
Inactive Account

In black the K30 really looks like the 'BatCam'
07-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Found a video of your K-30 unboxing that doesn't cut off like on the Flickr one.

07-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cat Test AF

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Looking good for ISO 800. Can you shoot a video with your point & shoot camera showing the AF speeds of the K-30? Such as moving a cat close to you and another further away, and continually and rapidly lock focus + shoot between the two as fast as you can in relatively low-lighting? Aim at closer cat, once it beeps, snap real quick then move to further away cat then beep and snap real quick, move back, etc.
Here you go, hopefully something like what you wanted. Quite dim conditions, F3.2 fairly high iso for shots

Here you can see the AF.C is not infallible and manages a few shots out of focus - unfortunately it is using my 17-50mm F2.8 Tamron the AF of which I'm not 100% fond of reliability wise. The first few shots are not taken with shutter button held down continuously obviously, unlike the latter half of the clip.

Images Here

Example shot

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 07-04-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Added images
07-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Found a video of your K-30 unboxing that doesn't cut off like on the Flickr one.
Yes that was uploaded by me I've updated my first page post already with this link. Not sure why Flickr had such a problem - the youtube clip is the same file I downloaded back off Flickr and re-uploaded to youtube
07-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
Here you go, hopefully something like what you wanted. Quite dim conditions, F3.2 fairly high iso for shots

K-30 Cat test - YouTube

Here you can see the AF.C is not infallible and manages a few shots out of focus - unfortunately it is using my 17-50mm F2.8 Tamron the AF of which I'm not 100% fond of reliability wise. The first few shots are not taken with shutter button held down continuously obviously, unlike the latter half of the clip.

Images on flickr are coming, will edit this post when they are.
Buddy - that's already pretty good... my k-x would barely manage any shots in focus using AF.C under those conditions.

07-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #38
Veteran Member

FruitLooPs the reason why some are out of focus is becaues it's on AF.C the AF motor isn't exactly that accurate and is meant to be used for fast moving subjects. I would try again in AF.S and you will see a big difference.

EDIT: Wow nvm at AF.C those shots are looking great.... I am amazed by the K-30's ability to continuously and rapidly AF and lock with in-focused shots in low light. My K2000 and K-7 would've never been able to do that, and this is on AF.C in which his shots taken were meant to be with AF.S
07-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #39

Not sure why Flickr had such a problem - the youtube clip is the same file I downloaded back off Flickr and re-uploaded to youtube
Regrettably, Flickr only allows videos with a maximum length of 1:30.
07-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Side note - your cat is adorable, and has a very pretty face
07-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FruitLooPs the reason why some are out of focus is becaues it's on AF.C the AF motor isn't exactly that accurate and is meant to be used for fast moving subjects. I would try again in AF.S and you will see a big difference.
I'm aware that you will inevitably lose some frames in AF.C - although I did have the cam set to attempt to maintain focus rather than maximum FPS in AF.C I re-tried with the kit lens and the result was essentially the same.

I don't want people to think i'm unhappy with the result, suits me just fine

I'd like to take it down to our local racetrack and try some tracking with my 135-400mm again, I had fairly satisfactory results using the K20D but this camera will have a higher keeper rate for sure.

Oh A.Class I got it from Kens in chch - not for the advertised price (discount, but sadly still much more than Japan/USA etc)

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 07-04-2012 at 07:42 PM.
07-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I can't believe it! You have one already?! dang lucky!! Congrats!

Ima wait for some great AF tests... coz I'm still thinking of getting this over the K-5...

Thanks for all the tests and videos and shots! Looking forward to more shots!

Last edited by Alizarine; 07-04-2012 at 08:06 PM.
07-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Oh A.Class I got it from Kens in chch - not for the advertised price (discount, but sadly still much more than Japan/USA etc)
Thanks.
I came across one of your other posts and noticed the reference to Kens in ChCh.

IIRC, you were happy with the price as it wasn't much more than importing from the USA including shipping + customs. Sadly, the official NZ prices often add some considerably markup, so I think if an NZ price works out to a US price + shipping + customs you are not terribly ripped off. US prices do not contain GST (VAT) which is not normal.
07-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've done some focus adjustments. Thankfully the twin lens kit was pretty close to spot on, the 18-50mm had a minor adjustment (-2 or something). All my others are good with one exception, the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

It seems to want to front focus heavily, just barely hitting the expected focus point with -10 adjustment. At 35mm its a similar story but 50mm is better, it needs to be sent in.

I'm actually impressed with those cheapo DAL kit lenses, for the money at least. Sure they have some vignetting, distortion and lack of sharpness open wide but they're light as heck on the body and stopped down pretty impressively sharp (at least in center) the ISO required doesn't seem to be an issue which makes them eminently more usable than on my old K20D.

I'd trust the kit 18-50 over my Tamron at the moment, sadly

I've taken a few video clips over the day, mostly deleted though just fooling about. The Autofocus racking during filming is very audible and the AF often racks past and back a bit before locking, but the idea for decent film would be manual anyhow I would imagine.

Battery performance has been pretty decent, it's basically out of juice but its had a thorough working over with me doing AF tuning movies etc.

The thing that irks me about the grip I think isn't so much sore/crampy (Today I had no issues with soreness etc) but more that my fingernails just slightly dig the soft textured rubber where it ends on the body - A close trim should sort it haha
07-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #45
Banned

I'm interested in knowing the size of the AF points and if they're big, like on the K-5, and in fact, bigger than the AF point borders as seen trhoguh the viewfinder. The actual af point seems larger than the size of the squares that show them.