Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2012, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Okay so I purchased it

Will have K-30 tonight, stupid twin lens kit but hey.

Anything in particular you guys want me to test/try, unfortunately I don't have any other DSLRs to compare with (sold K20D). I do have a P&S that I can take vid clips if you want to know/see anything about it.

07-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take pictures! Test the AF, record it! Post them all! I want to see.

All that and how does it feel despite it not being magnesium alloy? Does it annoy you that it doesn't have as much buttons to easily access certain things compared to your K20D?

Oh one more thing, does the AF lamp glow green? =P
07-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?? You are getting it tonight??
07-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?? You are getting it tonight??
=P https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/191330-k-30-coming-shelves-we...ml#post2010870

07-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Take pictures! Test the AF, record it! Post them all! I want to see.

All that and how does it feel despite it not being magnesium alloy? Does it annoy you that it doesn't have as much buttons to easily access certain things compared to your K20D?

Oh one more thing, does the AF lamp glow green? =P
Will get back to you on the AF lamp glow

Feeling wise (tried it earlier today) you can definitely feel a quality difference than the K20D - the materials are just different, somehow I think maybe cheaper but not enough to make me think it is fragile.

It's definitely small, I think I preferred the space from the K20D my little finger is very close to coming off the bottom of the grip - which is deep and nice but I prefer my K20D thumb support. I don't have fat fingers either.

I found it quite confusing to use, since the button layout is completely different to the K20D - but I know the same happened when I moved from K100DS to K20D that this is just a matter of getting used to things.

I do miss having dedicated body buttons, but I wanted the focus peaking over the K5. Time will tell if this proves to be a big issue. Auto-focus with liveview on seemed really snappy, but anything would compared to the K20D haha.

I didn't have an SD card on me at the time so no pics - will do some later if desired(I was completely off guard that we would have the camera in NZ)
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
Will have K-30 tonight, stupid twin lens kit but hey.
Congratulations, FruitLooPs. I hope to see at least thirty or forty K-30 photos on your Flickr account within the next 24 to 48 hours!

I look forward to seeing your focus-peaking shots and any and all shots that reveal the quality of the K-30's dynamic range.

P.S. I hope (but am not holding my breath) that my local Target store will have them in stock before the arrival of the next millennium, so I can hold one before deciding whether to buy it or not. I've never held any other Pentax DSLR, so I won't be able to judge the quality of its build in comparison to them, though.
07-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
Congratulations, FruitLooPs. I hope to see at least thirty or forty K-30 photos on your Flickr account within the next 24 to 48 hours!

I look forward to seeing your focus-peaking shots and any and all shots that reveal the quality of the K-30's dynamic range.

P.S. I hope (but am not holding my breath) that my local Target store will have them in stock before the arrival of the next millennium, so I can hold one before deciding whether to buy it or not. I've never held any other Pentax DSLR, so I won't be able to judge the quality of its build in comparison to them, though.
Welfi, Target will not have Pentax on stock ever, maybe not until within the next 5-10 years. Blame Pentax marketing strategy. I would call your local exclusive camera stores out there and see if they will have a demo out this month. Exclusive meaning a store that only sells cameras.

07-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

bookmarked!=P
07-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #9

Welfi, Target will not have Pentax on stock ever.
What you say would normally have been my first guess, and the pessimist in me thinks you are right; but various people here on PentaxForums have stated that Target will be one of the rare chain stores to carry the K-30. I took their announcements with a grain of salt, but I also have no reason to doubt them. Even if this fact were to be confirmed by Pentax, I would still be very skeptical that my local Target will ever them them in stock, hence my "millennium" comment. Chain stores in the proverbial middle of nowhere almost never get the "rarer" products that their sister stores in larger cities get. We get the most common, generic garbage in all of our chain stores, because corporate heads (often falsely) assume rarer products wouldn't sell well here.

I would call your local exclusive camera stores out there and see if they will have a demo out this month. Exclusive meaning a store that only sells cameras.
Regrettably, we no longer have any dedicated camera stores here -- that I know of -- and certainly none that sell Pentax. In fact, according to one PentaxForums member who lives in Denver, CO, there aren't even any Pentax dealers in Denver anymore, and that is the home of Pentax, USA. I did my own research after reading his comment, and he is right. I doubt there is any store within several states of where I live (four hours north of Denver) that sells Pentax cameras.

Last edited by Welfl; 07-03-2012 at 10:15 PM.
07-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welfi, Target will not have Pentax on stock ever, maybe not until within the next 5-10 years. Blame Pentax marketing strategy. I would call your local exclusive camera stores out there and see if they will have a demo out this month. Exclusive meaning a store that only sells cameras.
You might want to research prior to posting stuff like this. Target has previously sold the K-r, and Target has been mentioned as potentially selling more Pentax equipment.
07-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster

uploading unboxing video now, both vid & this was taken with gf's p&s canon
07-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
You might want to research prior to posting stuff like this. Target has previously sold the K-r, and Target has been mentioned as potentially selling more Pentax equipment.
Correct that Target sold K-r's. They may still be selling them. Costco sold them too. Also, Best Buy sold them, as well as K-5's, if I am not mistaken. However, all three of those retailers sold them via online only IIRC. I can imagine that their online only policies won't change. Orders were probably fulfilled directly from distributors, as opposed to stocked at store warehouses. Also, I seriously doubt that the full Pentax body and lens product lines will be available through any of those three retailers.
07-03-2012, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unboxing video *Re-uploaded* [/Edit]

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 07-04-2012 at 12:56 AM.
07-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Video cut off near end, didn't even get to see camera or lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Correct that Target sold K-r's. They may still be selling them. Costco sold them too. Also, Best Buy sold them, as well as K-5's, if I am not mistaken. However, all three of those retailers sold them via online only IIRC. I can imagine that their online only policies won't change. Orders were probably fulfilled directly from distributors, as opposed to stocked at store warehouses. Also, I seriously doubt that the full Pentax body and lens product lines will be available through any of those three retailers.
I've only seen Costco demo'd a K-x before, nothing else and no other stores besides a camera shop like National Camera Exchange here in MN that sells Pentax's.
07-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gah not sure what happened to the video!

Battery is charging on it still, I've taken a few quick shots which have only confirmed that several of my lenses need AF adjustment. AF speed is definitely better than K20D indoors, and AF.C is too although I cannot confirm accuracy until I calibrate my lenses better.

Focus peaking is interesting, tried it with the 50mm F1.4 - took a little to get used to but it works fine. I was hoping I could manually stop down the lens in LV but it stays wide open regardless until you squeeze off a shot - but it cycles back to LV much much much faster than the K20D ever did.

AF Assist is green

Few shots of it with various lenses, I did find my hand getting a bit cramped after a while