Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Had a chance to test the focus motor noise. Borrowed a K-5 with 18-55 WR kit lens vs K-30 with 18-55 non WR lens. Using a Radio Shack spl meter near the lens of each the readings were ~80db. This varied a little and the K-5 might have been the louder of the two. Not sure how my K-7 matches up, will have to measure it. So why does the K-30 seem quieter? The sound is a little smoother ( K-5 had a grittier sound) Also the faster focusing means motor is turning a shorter time. Should have tried with same lens. WR lens might dampen the sound more.
thanks
barondla

07-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Had a chance to test the focus motor noise. Borrowed a K-5 with 18-55 WR kit lens vs K-30 with 18-55 non WR lens. Using a Radio Shack spl meter near the lens of each the readings were ~80db. This varied a little and the K-5 might have been the louder of the two. Not sure how my K-7 matches up, will have to measure it. So why does the K-30 seem quieter? The sound is a little smoother ( K-5 had a grittier sound) Also the faster focusing means motor is turning a shorter time. Should have tried with same lens. WR lens might dampen the sound more.
thanks
barondla
Since you've got a sound meter why not report on the db levels on the mirror/ shutter too?
07-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Since you've got a sound meter why not report on the db levels on the mirror/ shutter too?
Great idea. I second that!
07-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ADC

QuoteOriginally posted by sirluke Quote
I don't think that Pentax has made the K-01 and the K-30 12 bit on purpose, just to differentiate them from the upper level bodies. The ADC (and so the number of bits) is not on the Image Processor (Prime) but on the image sensor.
So, I think that the K-01 and K-30 just have a lower price sensor evolved from the k-5 sensor (and D7000 and other Sony's) that is equipped with 12bit ADC. Also we should think that the new sensor has about double the read rate of the K-5 one, to help live view focusing speed and video capture and going from 14bits to 12bits lowers the bandwidth required of 25% (since 14bit uses a whole 16bit word, wasting 2 bits).
It's all a trade off...

I'm sure we'll soon see a higher end model with dual Prime-M and 24Mpx@14bit sensor with fast readout in a high end body.

Luca
Sounds similar to the analog-to-digital converters used in high end CD players, like the Burr-Brown 24bit converters in lower end players and 32bit in higher end players. Really (really) hard to hear the difference, or so I am told, unless the rest of the system is also of higher end quality. I KNOW I can hear the difference between SACD and CD discs, that is why I own an SACD player and my system is "mid-fi" at best.

So, in this case, everything else visually would need to be of higher end quaility to see the difference readily (RAW conversion, post processing, color calibration of the monitor, eventual output printing of paper and ink/toner, etc, etc. between 12bit and 14bit. Theoretically of course. I also wonder at first impressions and was hoping someone could post some pics from the new K-30 vs. K-5 that show fine grades of brightness of a single color from a single light source (from one side to the other) - supposedly the higher bits will have a *smoother transition* from light-to-dark. But is this 2bit difference seeable on monitors and paper enlargements?!?!?! Somehow, I think not for most people. Very similar to the example I give above with CD vs SACD players (that is one reason why SACD flopped, very few could hear the difference to pay 3X-5X extra money. The few that can listen to classical or jazz where there is support for it). Same with visual acuity. Most people think, "If it is good enough, then buy it, and don't pay extra for features you can't see".

For example, I can definitely see a difference in transition between colors and brightness with older 6 mp DSLRs like my K100D Super. Not sure if that is also 12bit but the megapixels surely are lacking and enlargements or cropping shows gross transitions of brightness levels compared to the 10mp K200D. Just wondering if anyone knows for sure with actual pictures how much a 2bit difference makes in actual results on monitor or paper???

Thanks to the OP for posting pics. And I appreciate the discussion. And definitely having fun doing/learning the art of photography should be a high priority!