Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Sharper than K-5, but K-5 seems to handle extreme dynamic range a little better
Even though I was expecting to hear this, and even though it is only a minimal difference, it is still somewhat disappointing.

07-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
Even though I was expecting to hear this, and even though it is only a minimal difference, it is still somewhat disappointing.
But what's not disappointing is the price. This camera seems to be designed, and priced, to be the perfect upgrade path for K-x owners. I skipped the K-r, and didn't really consider the K-5 when it was over $1000, but I will be buying the K-30. At least, I will be as soon as somebody buys my K-x and/or my extra Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX HSM (both listed in the Marketplace!!! ).
07-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
But what's not disappointing is the price.
I'm somewhat okay with the price, at least compared to the crazy starting price of the K-5; however, $899 is still a lot of money to pay for something that can be held in one hand.

On the other hand, if I could get the same number of ounces of gold for the same price, I would be thrilled.

This camera seems to be designed, and priced, to be the perfect upgrade path for K-x owners.
That's absolutely true!

I would just like to be able to inspect one in person before spending that much money on it, but I doubt I will ever get that opportunity way out here in the middle of nowhere.
07-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm somewhat okay with the price, at least compared to the crazy starting price of the K-5; however, $899 is still a lot of money to pay for something that can be held in one hand.

On the other hand, if I could get the same number of ounces of gold for the same price, I would be thrilled.

That's absolutely true!

I would just like to be able to inspect one in person before spending that much money on it, but I doubt I will ever get that opportunity way out here in the middle of nowhere.
Don't be too sure. PRIC has intimated that they have been negotiating with Target for several years to get into their stores. Perhaps it will happen, eventually (or has it already)?

07-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Don't be too sure. PRIC has intimated that they have been negotiating with Target for several years to get into their stores. Perhaps it will happen, eventually (or has it already)?
Yes, several people on PF have mentioned that Target may carry the K-30. I really hope their predictions pan out; however, as I wrote in another thread recently:

QuoteQuote:
"Even if this fact were to be confirmed by Pentax, I would still be very skeptical that my local Target will ever them them in stock. .... Chain stores in the proverbial middle of nowhere almost never get the 'rarer' products that their sister stores in larger cities get. We get the most common, generic garbage in all of our chain stores, because corporate heads (often falsely) assume rarer products wouldn't sell well here."
I really do hope I'm wrong this time and that my local Target will get some in stock.
07-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Yes, several people on PF have mentioned that Target may carry the K-30. I really hope their predictions pan out; however, as I wrote in another thread recently:

I really do hope I'm wrong this time and that my local Target will get some in stock.
I just checked and Target online has some WG1s, some batteries (that are common to other items), and that's about it for Pentax gear.
07-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #22
Veteran Member

They really do need to get this camera out there where people can see it. The looks alone will probably be enough to sway some first-time DSLR shoppers.

07-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

They really do need to get this camera out there where people can see it. The looks alone will probably be enough to sway some first-time DSLR shoppers.

Not sure I follow, it looks pretty bog standard dSLR-ish to me from the pictures. Is it that much more appealing physically in person?
07-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #24

I just checked and Target online has some WG1s, some batteries (that are common to other items), and that's about it for Pentax gear.
I think it is too early to be shopping for the K-30 at Target. If they do eventually carry it, I think it might take a (short?) while longer for them to get them in stock. I'm basing that opinion on nothing but pessimism and instincts.

Maybe Pentax wants to give the early advantage to the tiny handful of loyal retailers that have stuck with Pentax all this time. However, that's just a really, really wild and uneducated guess.

I agree completely again. Due to the K-30's stylish looks and nice colors (compared to thy toy-ish looks of earlier colorful models) I truly believe it would sell really well in a chain store like Target. I hope the people at Pentax and Target (especially the latter) are smart enough to realize this.

Last edited by Welfl; 07-07-2012 at 01:44 PM.
07-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Not sure I follow, it looks pretty bog standard dSLR-ish to me from the pictures. Is it that much more appealing physically in person?
I don't agree. Have you seen a Canon Rebel lately? A flat-black finish with a design that looks like it was inspired by a kidney bean. I haven't handled the latest t4i, but the t2i I used to own and my friend's Xs both feel very cheap in the hand. They don't have the same substantive, solid feel of my K-x or even my old Olympus e-510. Whenever I pick up a Rebel I get an impression of hollow plastic.
07-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I think it is too early to be shopping for the K-30 at Target. If they do eventually carry it, I think it might take a (short?) while longer for them to get them in stock. I'm basing that opinion on nothing but pessimism and instincts.

Maybe Pentax wants to give the early advantage to the tiny handful of loyal retailers that have stuck with Pentax all this time. However, that's just a really, really wild and uneducated guess.

I agree completely again. Due to the K-30's nice colors (compared to thy toy-ish looks of earlier colorful models) I truly believe it would sell really well in a chain store like Target. I hope the people at Pentax and Target (especially the latter) are smart enough to realize this.
Wasn't thinking K-30 yet, but did think that since they alluded to it some months ago Target might have something more than old WG1s in stock. Say a couple of P&S and the new WG model, perhaps some K-rs that have been languishing about on deep discount as a start.......I mean PRIC has been working on this for nearly 2 years now from what was said at the time of the announcement of Maximum Assured Pricing.
07-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pretty sure there are no new K-r's to be had. Local camera store ( town of less than 40K) hasn't been able to order any since last December or so. Think the last of the weird colors were sold off to Wal-Mart.

Welfl, If you like the construction of the K-r and the controls/ image quality of the K-5 can't imagine you not liking the K-30. The veiwfinder is the same size as the K-5. The dual controls work like other top level K cams. This is a very nice camera.

Hope to give it a workout this weekend. Wish it wasn't 104f here. Warm to be sure. Actually got the K-7 heat gauge to show last week. Didn't even know it had one.

Having fun
barondla
07-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Minor point - The K-5 competes with the D7000 and the 7D.

Canon 7D MSRP at introduction: $1699
Nikon D7000 - Approximately $1600

So it was not a "crazy" starting price - it was the normal (and still is) starting price of the semi-professional APS-C cameras. In fact, the k-5/7D/D7000 replacements will most likely have that price as well.
07-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Pretty sure there are no new K-r's to be had. Local camera store ( town of less than 40K) hasn't been able to order any since last December or so. Think the last of the weird colors were sold off to Wal-Mart.
Here's my brother-in-law's K-r that he ordered from Wal-Mart last week. For some strange reason the green one was $20 less than all the others...

Not my cup of tea, but he's happy with it. Funny looking camera, but it takes really nice pictures. Wal-Mart has a really nice looking silver/black K-r that I would have happily paid $20 extra for if I was him. The gold is also kind of cool too.
07-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #30

I think a lot of people here are comparing this to the K-5, however, it is not meant to be the K5's replacement, it is meant to be a cheaper version of the K5 to bring the excellence of that camera to the masses. Sure, it makes technology gains gains in some areas, but loses slightly on picture quality...a very fair trade off for the price IMO. I think it is a great move on Pentax's part.

@Barondia- thanks for the updates, keep them coming