Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
In that case, the K-30 temporarily converts its focus lamp into a stun ray, dropping the player in front to his knees, and then resumes focusing on the target player.
And *this* is why I choose Pentax. Affordable innovation!

07-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #32

I've just sold my white K-x am I'm now looking for an upgrade.
Curiously, this week I played with a friends's nikon 5000 which is fairly old, but I noticed something cool.

My friend always use center focus point and, as I used to do in my K-x, when I locked the focus and recompose I noticed that the focus locked on the subject but the focus point also moved accordingly and, thus, getting the wright focus plane.

Can anyone confirm that using the k-30's new Expanded Area AF we can also do this?

Thanks a lot!
07-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pretender Quote
I've just sold my white K-x am I'm now looking for an upgrade.
Curiously, this week I played with a friends's nikon 5000 which is fairly old, but I noticed something cool.

My friend always use center focus point and, as I used to do in my K-x, when I locked the focus and recompose I noticed that the focus locked on the subject but the focus point also moved accordingly and, thus, getting the wright focus plane.

Can anyone confirm that using the k-30's new Expanded Area AF we can also do this?

Thanks a lot!
Sony's Nex 5n does the same thing when i tried it out in a store. Designate a focus subject with your finger, it focuses with this largish square, then move the camera and the focus area shifts in the LCD as the subject moves - cool.
07-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K30 does this in CDAF also (if you put it in tracking mode)

How do I activate the tracking feature in PDAF?

07-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Some more samples for you guys, I stumbled upon some football games went home grabbed the 135-400mm and went at it. I found the lens AF was backfocusing badly, I corrected on the fly but lost a great many sequences. I had it sorted (or so it seems, you be the judge) with about 5mins remaining on the games.

I got a few shots, it seemed to do pretty well once the lens was set correctly - a pitty I couldn't have had correct focus on the lens for the whole time.

Flickr has them in the wrong order /le sigh.
Anyhow, in-cam JPG resized to 1600px AF.C & Expanded Area AF on ISO 1600/3200:

Second lot:

Final Series:

Hope it helps out
12-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How do you even get to that screen on the K-30? I don't see any way to select those points, or show the focus points on the right side of the basic status screen.

Charles.