Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K-30, did you remember the $20 2-year extended warranty?

Pentax has offered a 2-year extended warranty for each of its dSLRs over the past 5+ years for around $20. It's hands-down the absolute best deal Pentax has ever offered. It comes with a free cleaning in addition to the 2 more years of warranty coverage.

I can't seem to find one at B&H or Adorama. But I'd ask if I were buying a K-30.

This may show my ignorance but it was pure chance that I found out that Pentax offers a $19 2 year extended warranty on their K body cameras. If I had known at the time I would have purchased one for my K-x. I did this time for the K5.

So, while old hands may be well aware that Adorama, B&H and other ADs sell these warranty cards for genuine Pentax extended warranty's for an absurdly low sum - I believe that many here may be completely unaware of this and miss an opportunity.

You must purchase the extended warranty, in the US at least, within 30 days of the purchase of your K model body. You need to keep copies of the invoice/sales receipt for both the camera and warranty along with the warranty card itself.

Pentax Two Years Extended Warranty for K Series Digital SLR Cameras.
FEATURES:
  • PENTAX Imaging Company warrants to the original purchaser the product to operate according to factory specifications for a period of three years from the original date of purchase (one-year standard + two-year extended)
  • Pentax will provide, at no charge, one complete check-up at any time during the warranty period. This includes inspection of all camera functions to see that they meet factory specifications.

07-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As I plan to get the k-30 sometime soon, do I just ask Adorama/B&H if they have this warranty option? What if they say no?
07-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You must purchase the extended warranty, in the US at least, within 30 days of the purchase of your K model body. You need to keep copies of the invoice/sales receipt for both the camera and warranty along with the warranty card itself.
Sweet deal, especially if you missed out on buying this warranty, you can always go back and buy it as long as it's within 30 days of your purchased Pentax. Also if you buy it from another authorized Pentax dealer such as BeachCamera and they do not offer this warranty, be aware that you CAN go to BHphotovideo or Adorama which offers this warranty, and buy it from them. Just keep all receipts and you'll be fine.

Good thing you brought this up on the same week as it's release, those who did miss out when checking out their K-30 to their cart still have plenty of time left to get it.

Last edited by LeDave; 07-06-2012 at 02:16 PM.
07-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I upgraded to my K20D 3+ years ago, the extended warranty was included as an extra additional inducement. I did have to have the sensor swapped out 18 months later, so the warranty did come in very handy. They also include a free cleaning with the warranty. I picked one up for my K5 when I again upgraded in January. This has got to be one of the best deals around - and I never go for the extended warranty for anything.

07-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
This has got to be one of the best deals around - and I never go for the extended warranty for anything.

Same here, I never ever go for extended warranty because the price just doesn't seem worth it. However for 20 bucks it is more than worth it. Even on a camera, extended warranty is something you would want to get and it's more than worth it for 20. It's not like it's a laptop or a TV where it just sits there. These DSLR's are very complex with a lot of moving parts. But Pentax pricing it for 20 just for extension to total 3 years, they might as well price their cameras 20 bucks mandatory more for it. Shows Pentax's confidence in their cameras, again $20, jeeze. I've seen warranties going for 200 just for an extra year on other electronics that aren't as fragile and complex as a camera, but this is two years and the price is like steal.
07-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Is there any link to this warranty, or is it something you have to call and ask for? And could I get it for a K-30 purchased from Amazon?
07-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Is there any link to this warranty, or is it something you have to call and ask for? And could I get it for a K-30 purchased from Amazon?

The warranty card that they have up for sale at both B&H and Adorama says for "K" model cameras. They sell it as for the K-5/K-7/K-r but if it is for "K" model cameras then it ought to be the right one for the K-30. Still, I'd ask at either B&H or Adorama as they're Authorized US Sellers for Pentax.

http://www.adorama.com/IPXEWKX.html?utm_term=Other&utm_...ce=rflaid65093
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753276-REG/Pentax_80227_Two_Year_Exten...anty_for.html/

07-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Warning to Pentaxians living in Virginia or Florida-- this extended warranty will not apply to us! Boo...
07-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Warning to Pentaxians living in Virginia or Florida-- this extended warranty will not apply to us! Boo...

Why do we get singled out?
07-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blame our state legislatures for passing laws that for whatever reason do not allow extended warranty plans!
07-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Blame our state legislatures for passing laws that for whatever reason do not allow extended warranty plans!
Well in that case, I'm sure it's probably for your own good.
07-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Is Pentax extended warranty applicable to K-30

I see the extended warranty on Adorama and B&H sites. It says applicable to K-5, K-r, K-x. Could anyone please tell whether this is applicable to K-30?

I am planning to get a K-30 soon.
07-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iunknown Quote
I see the extended warranty on Adorama and B&H sites. It says applicable to K-5, K-r, K-x. Could anyone please tell whether this is applicable to K-30?

I am planning to get a K-30 soon.
The actual warranty card says "K" Cameras and the K-30 is a "K" camera. The problem is that it's so new that we haven't gotten a definitive answer yet. You could post a query on the B&H forum.
07-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Thanks. I have also asked the question to Pentax support
07-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iunknown Quote
Thanks. I have also asked the question to Pentax support
Good luck with PRIC, they're answers so far have been 100% wrong on the K-30.