Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #1

Pocket Lint hands on review.

Hands-on: Pentax K-30 review - Pocket-lint

07-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice review. Terrific photos too BTW.

It's amazing to me that outlets like that have a K-30, people get to ride a double decker bus in NYC and review the darn thing too, but the Admin/Mods here at PF haven't been given access to one. Kinda lets me know what PRIC thinks of us here at PF.
07-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Review??

As the author noted, this is not a full review. I'd argue that it's not even a partial review. It's essentially some photos and a recap of some specs. There were two (count 'em) sentences of evaluation.

I think there was an error when the head was written: the editor forgot the letter "p" and left in the "r-e-v-i-e-w".
07-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pocket Lint Hands on Review of the K-30!

Reading the thread title, I thought it was some new accessory named Pocket Lint lol..

07-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

"the K-30 can take four AA batteries that will give you around 150 shots."

That doesn't sound right. I get hundreds of shots out of my K-x on AA batteries. I usually use a set of Eneloops that charge to around 2200 mah.
07-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
"the K-30 can take four AA batteries that will give you around 150 shots."

That doesn't sound right. I get hundreds of shots out of my K-x on AA batteries. I usually use a set of Eneloops that charge to around 2200 mah.
Even though not expressly stated, I believe they mean alkaline batteries,
07-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Which makes the rub of what Docrwm stated all the worse.

07-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah, that would be accurate, and adequate for emergency use only, like with the K-x / K200D.
07-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I was not under the impression that alkaline AA batteries were pathetically weak. I thought that the big advantage to NiMH was that they can be recharged numereous times, not that they had so much more capacity. I just tried to do a little research, and according to Wikipedia, AA alkaline batteries range from 1800-2600 mah. If accurate, that would compare favorably with rechargeables.

I tried to find the rating for Duracell "coppertop" AA batteries, but it doesn't seem to be a well-published specification. But according to the following page, the standard Duracell "coppertop" AA batteries are rated at 2850 mah:

Duracell AA Alkaline Battery (Package of 4) in Alkaline and Rechargeable Batteries | JR.com

I also found the 2850 mah figure at the page below:

MintyBoost User manual - Choosing batteries
07-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I do not think the build-in flash is higher than normal because it is not right on top of the plate when pop up
07-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I was not under the impression that alkaline AA batteries were pathetically weak. I thought that the big advantage to NiMH was that they can be recharged numereous times, not that they had so much more capacity. I just tried to do a little research, and according to Wikipedia, AA alkaline batteries range from 1800-2600 mah. If accurate, that would compare favorably with rechargeables.

I tried to find the rating for Duracell "coppertop" AA batteries, but it doesn't seem to be a well-published specification. But according to the following page, the standard Duracell "coppertop" AA batteries are rated at 2850 mah:

Duracell AA Alkaline Battery (Package of 4) in Alkaline and Rechargeable Batteries | JR.com

I also found the 2850 mah figure at the page below:

MintyBoost User manual - Choosing batteries
DSLRs are a bit more demanding:

QuoteQuote:
K-x Battery Life

Q: How many photos can I take using different types of AA batteries in the K-x? or how long can I playback pictures?

A: K-x battery life: AA lithium batteries 1900 pictures 1110 pictures (with flash used for 50% of pictures) 680 minutes playback

AA NI-MH batteries 640 pictures 420 pictures (with flash used for 50% of pictures) 390 minutes playback

AA alkaline batteries 210 pictures 130 pictures (with flash used for 50% of pictures) 350 minutes playback

*The picture storage capacity measurement was made at 23° C and is in accordance with CIPA standards, other data is based on PENTAX measuring conditions.

*Note: CIPA standards are standards formulated by the Camera and Imaging Products Association.
K-x Battery Life | Pentax Support

You can read all about the reasons here.
07-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
You can read all about the reasons
For the K-x, you can also look at p-41 of the K-x manual. For the K200D, p-39.
For the K-30, similar to the K-x, the manual (p-46) says this about alkalines:

"These are easily obtainable when the batteries you are
using run out but they may not support all the camera
functions under certain conditions. Use them in
emergencies or when checking the camera functionality."

Notably, alkalines also die quickly once things get cold, while the other battery types handle cold better.

This is all reflected in my experience of the K-x and K200D, and flashes too. Alkalines suck.
07-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
For the K-x, you can also look at p-41 of the K-x manual. For the K200D, p-39.
For the K-30, similar to the K-x, the manual (p-46) says this about alkalines:

"These are easily obtainable when the batteries you are
using run out but they may not support all the camera
functions under certain conditions. Use them in
emergencies or when checking the camera functionality."

Notably, alkalines also die quickly once things get cold, while the other battery types handle cold better.

This is all reflected in my experience of the K-x and K200D, and flashes too. Alkalines suck.
From my experience with my K-x and K-r they are about right on the money with regular AA batteries. I love the Eneloops and routinely get 600-750 out of them. As for it not being a real review...each to their own. I thought it was pretty darn good for a quick look-see and hit many of the high points. If you look at the site they review a lot of cameras and are not always so positive. The K-30 was well received by them, which is very nice indeed.
07-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Any review is welcome at this point. One thing that bothers me though is reviews where they only allow you to view low-res sample pictures. Pretty much useless when evaluating the image quality of a high resolution DSLR.
07-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Any review is welcome at this point. One thing that bothers me though is reviews where they only allow you to view low-res sample pictures. Pretty much useless when evaluating the image quality of a high resolution DSLR.
No arguments here. We have a few members that have the K-30 in hand and are busy taking photos. I am certain we'll see more posts this weekend with more detailed pics.