Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I got 2 of these IR Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K7 K5 K100D K110 K20D K200D K20 KR KX KM | eBay and just leave them in their own little plastic bags to protect them in case of raining. Oh, they work very good in few feet ..... but I have not check for their maximum range though.
I got the same one for my K-30 because it was 2 dollars but I can't figure out how to use it. Can you help me?

06-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anubis417 Quote
I got the same one for my K-30 because it was 2 dollars but I can't figure out how to use it. Can you help me?
First you need to turn on "AF with remote control" [C2 (#14)] . Without doing this, camera will not lock focus and will not trip the shutter (when using AF)
Point the remote to front of camera , the receiver is on the front right side.
06-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 2 remotes I got for my K-x, both work great with the K 30 too. One is a universal, works with Canon and Nikon too and a couple of others. I haven't tried auto focus, I use manual lenses. But it works great with my manuals, prefocused. So far I've used it from 15 feet away with no trouble, I'm not sure what maximum range is. I can't remember which remotes I got, I think I got them on Amazon, just make sure it says it's compatible with Pentax and you should be good to go. I don't think I paid more than about $12 for either of mine. Both use 2025 watch type batteries, I had to replace both not long ago. These have a simple slide out battery holder, easy to change them.

I had a friend who used a small bicycle mirror attached to the leg of his tripod to reflect the remote to the camera front, it worked great. Takes a few minutes to aim it then you're in business, taking shots by remote from behind is no problem.
06-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
I had a friend who used a small bicycle mirror attached to the leg of his tripod to reflect the remote to the camera front, it worked great. Takes a few minutes to aim it then you're in business, taking shots by remote from behind is no problem.
Reminds me of the Anne Oakley circus trick for shooting at targets behind her back using hand held mirror.

My K-30 has a wired port for such 'shoot from behind' tactics. However my previous K-r did not have a wired port - so I converted an IR remote to work pretty much the same as a wired port. I never had it fail to trip the shutter, even in full direct sunshine.
Make a wired release for any Pentax IR camera

06-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
I purchased this remote from Amazon.com for my Kr and it works with the K30 see the reviews.

FYI, I purchased it from the same company and they were very quick with no problems.
Re this remote:
Amazon.com: IR Wireless Remote Control for PENTAX Q, PENTAX DSLR (645D, K-m, K-r, K-x, K-01, K-5, K-7, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K2000) *ist (D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2) + Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Cleaning Cloth: Camera & Photo

That's the one I use. they were so cheap that I bought about 5 or 6, placed them in my desk drawer, car glove box, brief case, cupboard at home, and of course, camera bag...they are cheap but actually have a notably longer range than the Pentax IR remotes. I got about 8-10 more feet than the Pentax remotes.
06-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have one of these. As I recall, on my K-r the W/T button did nothing. On my K-30 it forces an auto-focus.

That's pretty meaningless for me. I have the IR Menu function set to auto-focus, then release the shutter. If I don't want that to happen, I pre-focus at the camera followed by moving the switch next to the lens mount to MF. That's a lot more convenient that going forth and back into the Menu, and the switch is pretty obvious visually whether I am using manual focus or one of the AF settings.

So....since I only need one button, my current choice for Pentax IR remote is one of these: IR Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K7 K5 K100D K110 K20D K200D K20 KR KX KM | eBay

It cost more locally to buy replacement batteries than just buy another remote.
10-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I have one of these. As I recall, on my K-r the W/T button did nothing. On my K-30 it forces an auto-focus.

That's pretty meaningless for me. I have the IR Menu function set to auto-focus, then release the shutter. If I don't want that to happen, I pre-focus at the camera followed by moving the switch next to the lens mount to MF. That's a lot more convenient that going forth and back into the Menu, and the switch is pretty obvious visually whether I am using manual focus or one of the AF settings.

So....since I only need one button, my current choice for Pentax IR remote is one of these: IR Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K7 K5 K100D K110 K20D K200D K20 KR KX KM | eBay

It cost more locally to buy replacement batteries than just buy another remote.
What Remote works w/ the K-50.

It seems the ones feature at the Ricoh/Pentax website are designated for the K-50.

10-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All Pentax bodies that work with an IR remote release will work with the same remote.
06-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #24
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Here's a little remote that someone gave me. It works with my K-5 and K-30.
I especially like the insert notifying customers that Pentax will be renamed Hoya.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rocketfish makes a universal Cable Shutter release (Model RF-UNISR1) that will auto focus the camera when the remote's shutter button is depressed 1/2 way. The packaging only lists Canon Cameras but comes with the proper adapter for Pentax. I have one and it works great on both my K100 and my K500. If you live in Canada you can pick one up at your local Future Shop or Best Buy in the US for under $30.00 or you can order from the Rocketfish website Rocketfish Universal Products for Consumer Electronics or find one on ebay or amazon.

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 06-08-2014 at 05:48 PM.
06-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I got 2 of these IR Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K7 K5 K100D K110 K20D K200D K20 KR KX KM | eBay and just leave them in their own little plastic bags to protect them in case of raining. Oh, they work very good in few feet ..... but I have not check for their maximum range though.
Yes I got one of these for my k-50 it works beautifully
06-19-2014, 04:19 AM   #27
Inactive Account

I got Vello freewave for my K30 from B&H and it covers 100m range.. You have option to shoot single shot/continuous or bulb mode using the wireless remote. It has dual function, press half button to focus and full to trigger shutter.
06-19-2014, 04:47 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaikumarr18 Quote
I got Vello freewave for my K30 from B&H and it covers 100m range.. You have option to shoot single shot/continuous or bulb mode using the wireless remote. It has dual function, press half button to focus and full to trigger shutter.
Yes the Vello freewave looks like a great device. I'll have to think about how much I might use it before purchasing one.

An alternative if you already happen to have a cellphone/tablet, two cells or two tablets (Android or iOS) with Wi-Fi direct is TriggerTrap. You attach one device to your tripod with the TriggerTrap to camera dongle and use the other device over Wi-Fi to execute your TriggerTrap commands. Of course you can use TriggerTrap with only one device, but it won't be wireless. TriggerTrap also has a big library of exposure options taking advantage of the various sensors built into your cell or tablet.

Another advantage for me is I generally have both my cell and my tablet with me when I travel and I am only adding the incremental size & weight of the TriggerTrap dongle to my camera bag.
07-13-2016, 02:22 AM   #29

will this work with K-30 / K-1?

https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-39892-Waterproof-Remote-Control/dp/B0039WP4A2/...=pentax+remote

I'm reading mixed comments...
07-13-2016, 03:52 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The main button will work on a K-30 (unless you pre-focus, make sure you set the option to focus on remote release). The other buttons are for other Pentax/Ricoh cameras and likely won't do a thing on a K-30.

Unless you are planning on submerging the remote (white water rafting?), the cheap $3-$5 units on ebay will handle light rain just fine.

As for range, there is no true promise with any of these IR remotes. You will get the longest range where the sunshine is the least. The sun is a huge source of IR. If direct into the camera's IR receiver, the white noise the sun generates can drown any digital signal from any remote you might purchase such that the range drops to inches/cm. Get away from the sun and the range jumps tremendously. The only way around this is to increase power to the IR LED. Since they all seem to use a little 1.5v button cell battery, the power to the LED isn't going to differ much between one remote and another.

While my message might sound rather negative, the fact is that I also use an IR remote from time to time. They can be very handy so long as you have realistic expectations.