Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Remote for K-30?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Can you use a remote with the K30?

07-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DebLewis Quote
Can you use a remote with the K30?
Yes, but I think it only receives from the front of the camera. The manual is online.
07-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank You

Yes there is a remote, waterproof at that and the sensor is on the front of the camera.
07-07-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I just noticed that the K-30 manual says (p-120) that normally when using a remote control you cannot adjust the focus.

But when using the Remote Control Waterproof O-RC1, the autofocus system can indeed be operated remotely, via the button in the middle of the remote control. It works the same way with the K-5, apparently. Very handy.

You learn something new every day.

07-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I just noticed that the K-30 manual says (p-120) that normally when using a remote control you cannot adjust the focus.

But when using the Remote Control Waterproof O-RC1, the autofocus system can indeed be operated remotely, via the button in the middle of the remote control. It works the same way with the K-5, apparently. Very handy.

You learn something new every day.
Just for clarity, there is still the option in the cameras settings for having the AF work prior to releasing the shutter when using the remote. "AF with Remote Control" no. 14 in the menu Fancy remote sounds nice though.
07-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
Just for clarity, there is still the option in the cameras settings for having the AF work prior to releasing the shutter when using the remote. "AF with Remote Control" no. 14 in the menu Fancy remote sounds nice though.
Ooops, my bad.

Of course, the manual does indeed say: "When [14. AF with Remote Control] is set to [On] in the [A Custom Setting 2] menu, you can use the remote control unit to adjust the focus. "

I was half-recalling a discussion in the K-5 subforum where someone was complaining about the in-ability of the camera to do AF when using the self-timer - eg for self portraits or group shots.

Doesn't look like that has changed with the K-30.
04-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #7

Does anyone have a specific model of remote that will work with the K-30?

04-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I got 2 of these IR Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K7 K5 K100D K110 K20D K200D K20 KR KX KM | eBay and just leave them in their own little plastic bags to protect them in case of raining. Oh, they work very good in few feet ..... but I have not check for their maximum range though.
04-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
You have also an option for wired remote, K-30 has a socket for it right under the card door.
04-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Ooops, my bad.

Of course, the manual does indeed say: "When [14. AF with Remote Control] is set to [On] in the [A Custom Setting 2] menu, you can use the remote control unit to adjust the focus. "

I was half-recalling a discussion in the K-5 subforum where someone was complaining about the in-ability of the camera to do AF when using the self-timer - eg for self portraits or group shots.

Doesn't look like that has changed with the K-30.
It certainly can use that feature. I did a year of self-portraits with the K5 and K30 using a remote on 3 second timer and had the AF with remote feature turned on. It worked just fine.
04-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #11

I had an old universal TV remote laying around and programmed it with a code that I found online and it works great . Also you can change the batteries unlike the Pentax remotes . Kind of a redneck remote LOL .
04-27-2013, 02:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I got 2 of these IR Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K7 K5 K100D K110 K20D K200D K20 KR KX KM | eBay and just leave them in their own little plastic bags to protect them in case of raining. Oh, they work very good in few feet ..... but I have not check for their maximum range though.
That's the remote I bought, it works well in all the rooms in my house and often works from behind bouncing off walls. I also tried a little bit of silver foil taped at an angle over the sensor and then it worked reliably from behind.

I bought a £5 wired remote off Amazon UK, search on 'PowerPlanet compatible Pentax CS-205 wired remote cord for PENTAX'. That also works fine and has a half-press/full press type of shutter switch. The K-30 isn't mentioned in the compatibility list but it definitely works.

Last edited by SteveB; 04-27-2013 at 02:13 AM.
04-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #13

I purchased this remote from Amazon.com for my Kr and it works with the K30 see the reviews.

FYI, I purchased it from the same company and they were very quick with no problems.
04-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
I had an old universal TV remote laying around and programmed it with a code that I found online and it works great . Also you can change the batteries unlike the Pentax remotes . Kind of a redneck remote LOL .
How did you do it? Please teach us.
Thanks
04-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simone Quote
How did you do it? Please teach us.
Thanks
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/738-ist-d-infrared-remote-code.html