Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Reportage's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 739
It does seem my k20d water test seems to have inspired people to do the same.

07-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Dr_who's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 690
Water resistant or even water proof cameras are the norm now, its great teh K30 has it. But I'm not suprised by it either, and Pentax has had it in a few models now and I wouldn't expect the K30 to be any worse at sealing from water then the K5.
07-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Water resistant or even water proof cameras are the norm now, its great teh K30 has it. But I'm not suprised by it either, and Pentax has had it in a few models now and I wouldn't expect the K30 to be any worse at sealing from water then the K5.
The norm for Pentax perhaps, but take a look at the Entry and Mid level offerings from Nikon and Canon. When I was last in Florida I reported on a rained out Atlas launch at NASA where everyone ran for cover except one working journalist with a high-end Nikon (if memory serves) and I. He helpfully tried to coax me under cover to protect my camera. He was politely astonished when I informed him that my K-5 was not FF but was WR (as was my 18-135). So, from both looking online at reviews and specs, and from field experience with 40-60 dSLRs running for cover with a moderate rainstorm, I can say that it is far from a common feature today.
07-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Albums
Posts: 125
Well I didn't take my K-7 to shower, but I was out in a rather heavy rain several times. Thus far there is no problem with camera. The only "bad" thing is that among some 30+ lenses the only weather sealed is DA 18-55 WR thus limiting the focal range in a matter. Maybe some day I'll get 18-135 which should give some more reach and a bit better IQ.

07-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 132
QuoteOriginally posted by stanislav Quote
Well I didn't take my K-7 to shower, but I was out in a rather heavy rain several times. Thus far there is no problem with camera. The only "bad" thing is that among some 30+ lenses the only weather sealed is DA 18-55 WR thus limiting the focal range in a matter. Maybe some day I'll get 18-135 which should give some more reach and a bit better IQ.
The 18-135 has (obviously) a much more useful range than the 18-55, but its image quality is worse. Its border image quality above 50mm was so bad that Photozone thought they had received a bad copy of the lens and sent it back. Pentax said it was fine:

Pentax SMC-DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR - Review / Lens Test - Analysis

Now obviously the 18-55 can't produce any images above 55mm, so saying the 18-135 "isn't as good" is perhaps a tad unfair. But there's always the 50-200WR.
07-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
The 18-135 has (obviously) a much more useful range than the 18-55, but its image quality is worse. Its border image quality above 50mm was so bad that Photozone thought they had received a bad copy of the lens and sent it back. Pentax said it was fine:

Pentax SMC-DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR - Review / Lens Test - Analysis

Now obviously the 18-55 can't produce any images above 55mm, so saying the 18-135 "isn't as good" is perhaps a tad unfair. But there's always the 50-200WR.
Just not my experience with the lens at all nor that of many members here. Please see the 18-135 review conducted here at PF also for additional information.
07-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brighton, United Kingdom
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 311
QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
The 18-135 has (obviously) a much more useful range than the 18-55, but its image quality is worse. Its border image quality above 50mm was so bad that Photozone thought they had received a bad copy of the lens and sent it back. Pentax said it was fine:

Pentax SMC-DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR - Review / Lens Test - Analysis

Now obviously the 18-55 can't produce any images above 55mm, so saying the 18-135 "isn't as good" is perhaps a tad unfair. But there's always the 50-200WR.
18-135mm performance seems fine for me, especially in context of its length vs width, and price. There are always going to be some compromises, but if I've got this lens on then likely I'm in a situation that dictates it, and I'm still going to get good results
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-30, k-50, pentax, pentax k30, pentax k50, youtube
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just got my bellows, how do i get it running? mantis Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 09-20-2010 07:37 PM
Running water cost darkroom? NecroticSoldier Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 24 08-10-2010 10:34 AM
Macro second attempt.....running water janstew Post Your Photos! 4 04-02-2010 06:01 PM
Running Water: Slow Shutter and Fast Shutter Comparison Mike Cash Post Your Photos! 2 02-03-2009 01:25 AM
Running on the Water! RiceHigh Monthly Photo Contests 0 03-15-2007 07:17 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top