Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone has already run one under running water

Took less than a week for this to be posted!

And another one here:

07-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #2

I'm waiting for the first video of someone doing it with the NON WR kit lens..... the rest of these don't impress me that much. This is the average level of stupidity. I look for greatness in everything.
07-08-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lukinosity Quote
I'm waiting for the first video of someone doing it with the NON WR kit lens..... the rest of these don't impress me that much. This is the average level of stupidity. I look for greatness in everything.
Sorry it was too pedestrian for you.
07-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everyone should run their's under water if they expect to run into that sort of environment when shooting.
I do so, and have done so with every WR camera and lens I buy. I run it under the shower for a good while.

Better to know in advance and get a replacement, rather than find yourself holding a lump of wet in the field and not be able to do your job.
Not being proactive would be the definition of stupidity. :-)

07-08-2012, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Everyone should run their's under water if they expect to run into that sort of environment when shooting.
I do so, and have done so with every WR camera and lens I buy. I run it under the shower for a good while.

Better to know in advance and get a replacement, rather than find yourself holding a lump of wet in the field and not be able to do your job.
Not being proactive would be the definition of stupidity. :-)
Also, violating the warranty would be the definition of stupidity
07-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Also, violating the warranty would be the definition of stupidity
In what way? I do not recall the warranty specifying that you cannot get the weather sealed camera wet!
07-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

In what way? I do not recall the warranty specifying that you cannot get the weather sealed camera wet!
If that is the case.. let's go toss them into a lake first day we take ownership to make sure all the seals are tight.

07-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If that is the case.. let's go toss them into a lake first day we take ownership to make sure all the seals are tight.
So many discussions have been had on this. Don't confuse weather resistant with water proof.

Really, if you cannot speak with knowledge or experience, it is sometimes best not to speak at all.

Asking questions does not make one stupid... but quite honestly, making uninformed statements does not make one smart.
07-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I did the same thing to my k-5 a few weeks ago
unfortunate there is water vapor inside VF and also some inside LCD
It did not happen until I bring it outside which was like 90 degree
and the VF start to fill with water vapor and eventually I could barely see through it
good thing after 2 days, all water vapor are gone. seems they just evaporate.

can someone explain it?
I think have to do with some physics knowlege
07-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #10

I'm gonna go crash my car to test the airbags while you guys all sort this out.
07-08-2012, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked at it as I do my watch. It is water resistant not water proof. They are different levels of water resistance. I can get my watch wet as in Rain ,a shower, etc and not hurt it If I go to the bottom of the pool It may not survive. there is a lot of difference between the pressure of running water from a faucet and most rain storms.The only cameras listed by Pentax as being waterproof are Optio's. I do not plan on intentionally submerging my K-30 under running water, but on the other hand I won't worry about the weather either

Has anyone read the warranty in the back of the K-30 manual. This is copied and pasted from the K-30 weather resistant owners manual

Service will be rendered, and defective parts will be replaced
without cost to you within that period, provided the equipment does not
show evidence of impact, sand or liquid damage, mishandling, tampering,
battery or chemical corrosion, operation contrary to operating instructions,
or modification by an unauthorized repair shop
07-08-2012, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I would expect my camera to be repaired if it became damaged from use in rain, but I would also expect to have no warranty coverage if I intentionally held it under running water or submursed it in some way. There is a difference.
07-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

So many discussions have been had on this. Don't confuse weather resistant with water proof.

Really, if you cannot speak with knowledge or experience, it is sometimes best not to speak at all.

Asking questions does not make one stupid... but quite honestly, making uninformed statements does not make one smart.

You missed the sarcasm I'm afraid.
07-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
I would expect my camera to be repaired if it became damaged from use in rain, but I would also expect to have no warranty coverage if I intentionally held it under running water or submursed it in some way. There is a difference.
Exactly rain is weather. Running water from a faucet is not . It could or would be labeled as abuse.
07-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lukinosity Quote
I'm gonna go crash my car to test the airbags while you guys all sort this out.
Very funny and right on point. A weather resistant camera and lens should be able to withstand wet weather but not necessarily a torture test such as the one shown in the video. Nevertheless, if they can hold up under extreme test conditions, it gives users greater confidence regarding ordinary wet environments.

Rob