Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
not as much louder than my K200D as I remember the K-x being when I have heard them back to back.
So maybe the noisiness hierarchy goes (from noisiest to quietest):

K-x (grand piano falling from 10th floor window onto sidewalk)
K-r
K-30
K200D
K-7/K-5 (butterfly landing)

Not sure about the K100 or K-20.

07-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Wasn't K-5 just a little less noisy then K-7?

Where does K-01 fit in?

Some also depends on the lens attached. With FA*85mm my K-5 is less noisy then with DA*55mm. The heavier lens keeps the noise down somehow.
07-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #18

The news isn't as good as I'd have hoped. The shutter is only slightly quieter than the K-r. ...Actually, the K-r was quieter than I expected.
Marc, you say the news isn't as good as you'd hoped; because the K-30's shutter is only slightly quieter than the K-r's, yet the K-r's is quieter than you'd expected; I'm not really sure how to interpret that; therefore, would you please consider rating the K-30 based on the following three criteria? I thank you in advance!

Other K-30 / Pentax users are welcome to answer these questions too!

1.) On a scale of ONE to TEN, with ONE being the least tolerable sound, how would you rate the K-30's shutter? I know "tolerable" is a very subjective term, but I'm pretty sure we (or at least I) can trust the feelings of a veteran DSLR user.

2.) How loud is the average film SLR shutter compared to the one in the K-30 (as well as the K-r, K-5, etc.)?***

3.) How loud are the shutters in "budget" DSLRs from Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc., compared to the K-30 (as well as the K-r, K-5, etc.)?

*** Obviously, I don't own a DSLR yet. I've lived very comfortably with the sound of film SLR shutters since 1978.

Last edited by Welfl; 07-11-2012 at 08:39 AM.
07-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Well, my Super ME's mirror flap is quite loud. I'll go test it against my k-x later tonight, but I'm pretty sure it's louder than my k-x.

And if the k-x is the grand-daddy of the Pentax dslr noisemaker scale, then the K-30 should be very tolerable.

I believe most Canon/Nikon dslrs are actually louder than the Pentax equivalent. I also dislike whatever dslr out there that goes "slap - PEWWWWWWWWWWW". I have no idea what the second sound is, but it sounds like a damn ray gun.

07-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
1.) On a scale of ONE to TEN, with ONE being the least tolerable sound, how would you rate the K-30's shutter? I know "tolerable" is a very subjective term, but I'm pretty sure we (or at least I) can trust the feelings of a veteran DSLR user.
Hopelessly subjective, actually. There is no way any number I put there without any basis for comparison that you can relate it to would have any meaning at all. Eg, if we don't agree on what number we'd give the K-r, how could a number I give the K-30 have meaning? The K-r, for example, stuuck me as about a 4 Sounds like some consider it far worse than I do.

Anyhow, based on what I heard last night, I'd put numbers about as follows, from worst to best:

645D: 1.5 (yes, hey had one of those there!)
K-r: 4
K-30: 5
K200D: 6.5
K-5: 8.5
K-01: 9.5 (I think/assume; I don't actually noticing its sound, presumabky because it is close to slient as one would expect)

There was also a Q, and it was way more fun to play with than it had any right to be, but it had an artificially simulated shutter sound that I didn't bother to try to turn off, so I can't say for sure where it would fit. I have to assume it would be in the 9.5 range, though.

Again, what surprised me was how close the K-r and K200D sounded, whereas my memory was that the K-x was much worse: in the 1-2 range. Wish I saw one there to compare with, but I didn't. So either the K-r really is moticeably quieter than the K-x (and if so that would be the first I've heard of this), or the K-r I was hearing was unusually quit for some reason, or my memory or my ability to judge sounds in a crowded room leaves something to be desired. Either way, not a very scientific test, I'm afraid. But the one result I could not mistake was that the K-30 was clearly louder than the K200D, which was clearly louder than the K-5. The diffeence between the K-r and K-30 was smaller in comparison.

QuoteQuote:
2.) How loud is the average film SLR shutter compared to the one in the K-30 (as well as the K-r, K-5, etc.)?***
i have no real basis for comparison here. My recollection of the sound of the K1000 is that it is quieter than the K-30 - more like the K200D, perhaps. But no way should anyone rely on my memory for something like this.

QuoteQuote:
3.) How loud are the shutters in "budget" DSLRs from Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc., compared to the K-30 (as well as the K-r, K-5, etc.)?
No budget DSLR comes close to the K-5. But most I've heard over the past couple of years are quieter than the K--x, maybe on par with K200D? Again, I'm speaking more off the top of my head here.

Do note, BTW, that we ae virtually never actually talking about the sound of shutters here. Shutters are practically silent. It is the mirror we are really talking about here.
07-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
The guy from Pentax that was answering questions at dpreview said it (the K-30) uses the same shutter unit as the K-r
Another non-answer from Pentax USA........and so it goes. Shutter sound isn't the issue its the mirror, mostly. If that unit is the same as in the K-r then that doesn't even answer the question because the K-r isn't WR and the K-30 is. So, once again we'll have to find a nice PF member who has multiple dSLR models and a K-30 who will actually look into it (or listen in to it) and report back with facts directly answering the question.
07-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #22

Thank you for the detailed reply!

Hopelessly subjective, actually. There is no way any number I put there without any basis for comparison that you can relate it to would have any meaning at all.
I shouldn't have used a number scale in the "tolerability" section. It's too easy to misinterpret what I mean by that. I should simply have asked, "Would you, as a veteran K200D user, be able to tolerate (i.e. eventually stop noticing) the sound of the K-30's mirror in daily use if you owned one? In other words, would it eventually become a non-issue with you?

There was also a Q, and it was way more fun to play with than it had any right to be
I have read a number of comments about the Q that say pretty much the same thing, using pretty much the same words.

No budget DSLR comes close to the K-5
If only Pentax (and/or the DSLR industry in general) had adopted focus peaking a few months before they released the K-5. Sigh.........

Shutters are practically silent. It is the mirror we are really talking about here.
Yes, I know. Otherwise my nine-year-old Nikon CoolPix would be loud too. When I was in my teens and early twenties, I often used to click the shutter at various speeds on my SLR -- without a lens attached -- so I could watch how fast the mirror opened and closed ("kids," right? ). Most people have always mistakenly referred to the shutter when they mean the mirror. Even the title of this thread contains the words "Shutter Sound." I would like to blame my own mistaken wording on that title. Ha.

Last edited by Welfl; 07-13-2012 at 07:15 AM.
07-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #23

The guy from Pentax that was answering questions at dpreview said it (the K-30) uses the same shutter unit as the K-r
This makes it clear that it isn't just the K-5's body that muffles the sound of the mirror. Pentax clearly chose to use a noisier [mirror] in the K-30. [I originally had "noisier shutter" there, even though I meant "noisier mirror." It is now fixed.]

I will refrain from my usual moralizing, because it always causes too much of a ruckus here on PF. I'll just let people guess what I'm thinking.

Last edited by Welfl; 07-11-2012 at 10:21 AM.
07-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
This makes it clear that it isn't just the K-5's body that muffles the sound of the mirror. Pentax clearly chose to use a noisier shutter in the K-30.

I will refrain from my usual moralizing, because it always causes too much of a ruckus here on PF. I'll just let people guess what I'm thinking.
I'm not afraid to call it like I see it with Pentax, but in this case the K-30 is supposed to be a level BELOW the K-5. The choice makes sense in that regard and the K-30 is WR. It's a LOT of camera for the price.
07-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe you are referring to John Carlson (AKA JohnCPentax), Senior Manager of Sales and Marketing for Pentax Ricoh Imaging Americas Corp. Actually, he said it was the same shutter as the K-5.

Re: K-30 Q&A: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review.

On the same page, he said the K-30 sound is in between the K-5 and K-r:

"I don't have all three cameras in front of me, but it is between the K-r and K-5. I think the K-5 Magnesium Alloy body helps dampen the shutter sound somewhat."

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-11-2012 at 10:19 AM.
07-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I believe you are referring to John Carlson (AKA JohnCPentax), Senior Manager of Sales and Marketing for Pentax Ricoh Imaging Americas Corp. Actually, he said it was the same shutter as the K-5. Re: K-30 Q&A: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review. On the same page, he said the K-30 sound is in between the K-5 and K-r: "I don't have all three cameras in front of me, but it is between the K-r and K-5. I think the K-5 Magnesium Alloy body helps dampen the shutter sound somewhat."
Thanks for the link to the actual exchange. I stand corrected, seems that someone at Pentax USA actually gave a straight answer with substance. A Red Letter day in Pentax USA history!
07-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #27

Actually, he said it was the same shutter as the K-5.
How about the same mirror?
07-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks for the link to the actual exchange. I stand corrected, seems that someone at Pentax USA actually gave a straight answer with substance. A Red Letter day in Pentax USA history!
Actually, some people think he was wrong. I have no opinion on that.

Welfi, I don't know anything about the mirror either.
07-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Actually, some people think he was wrong. I have no opinion on that.

Welfi, I don't know anything about the mirror either.
I'm no fan of the Senior Manager of Sales and Marketing for PRIC but in this case he seems to have given good info because his answer is consistent with the one that was given by Marc in this thread regarding the sound level. So, that ought to be right. The other piece of information was that it was the same shutter assembly as the K-5. That makes sense because its the same sensor setup, isn't it?
07-11-2012, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
So maybe the noisiness hierarchy goes (from noisiest to quietest):

K-x (grand piano falling from 10th floor window onto sidewalk)
K-r
K-30
K200D
K-7/K-5 (butterfly landing)

Not sure about the K100 or K-20.
My K100D is the loudest DSLR I've ever heard if that helps.