Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

On of the users responded to the author's comments with the video above, showing how easy it is to switch between AF points and then use the ISO/Flash buttons. It'd be nice if all of us could just upvote that, as the author kept claiming "Pentax has a terrible interface that makes selecting focus points difficult because either I lock out the ISO/Flash or I have to go through the menu".

07-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's one respondent that really nails this guy, seems that he knows the author and the author talked him out of buying a K-5 and into some Canon or other. Here is a portion (used under the Fair Use clause of the US Copyright law):

"Paul Wren a day ago −
I sighed as soon as I saw that you would be writing this review Chris. You're way too biased towards Canon and ill informed in other areas to offer a full unbiased review of anything other than what you know. I think you may have become a little too dinosaur like in your approach to other brands. As for comparing the K30 to the Canon EOS 5D Mk II they are completely different kettles of fish, you told me so yourself when you talked me into purchasing the Mk II over the Pentax K5. I'm looking at maybe buying this camera as a second cam backup (dependent on whether a K5 successor is announced later this year) but I also knew that I wouldn't get a full in depth unbiased review as soon as I saw your name on it........"
07-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There's one respondent that really nails this guy, seems that he knows the author and the author talked him out of buying a K-5 and into some Canon or other. Here is a portion (used under the Fair Use clause of the US Copyright law):

"Paul Wren a day ago −
I sighed as soon as I saw that you would be writing this review Chris. You're way too biased towards Canon and ill informed in other areas to offer a full unbiased review of anything other than what you know. I think you may have become a little too dinosaur like in your approach to other brands. As for comparing the K30 to the Canon EOS 5D Mk II they are completely different kettles of fish, you told me so yourself when you talked me into purchasing the Mk II over the Pentax K5. I'm looking at maybe buying this camera as a second cam backup (dependent on whether a K5 successor is announced later this year) but I also knew that I wouldn't get a full in depth unbiased review as soon as I saw your name on it........"
Just one, huh?

But yea, I agree. I don't know the author at all, but I was glad to see I wasn't the only one that had a very significant issue with him and called him out on it. If the K-30 was the worst thing since lead paint, say it - I don't care. But be honest, and put the effort if you are going to do something. I hate when things are half-assed, and that was how the review seemed. If you make mistakes, be a man and admit fault - like I said, no one expects or even wants perfection.

And then to have the gall to claim everyone who is providing very legitimate critiques (in a professional, non-attacking manner) is wrong and "not reading it right" ? Unbelievably unprofessional and immature - I have lost all respect for the Phoblographer, or at least until they find a new Editor in Chief.

-Heie
07-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Just one, huh?

But yea, I agree. I don't know the author at all, but I was glad to see I wasn't the only one that had a very significant issue with him and called him out on it. If the K-30 was the worst thing since lead paint, say it - I don't care. But be honest, and put the effort if you are going to do something. I hate when things are half-assed, and that was how the review seemed. If you make mistakes, be a man and admit fault - like I said, no one expects or even wants perfection.

And then to have the gall to claim everyone who is providing very legitimate critiques (in a professional, non-attacking manner) is wrong and "not reading it right" ? Unbelievably unprofessional and immature - I have lost all respect for the Phoblographer, or at least until they find a new Editor in Chief.

-Heie
No offense but he's ignoring you. Add to it the fact that the guy knows him, took his [bad] advice about buying a dSLR, AND calls him out on the bad review and his unprofessional reaction to it and Yes there's one that really nails him. Yours is good too, and I applaud your not letting him get away with it, but his is a more direct assault on the man's integrity IMHO.

Last edited by Docrwm; 07-11-2012 at 01:57 PM.
07-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
He seems to be an ambitious city slicker who talks up a storm to look like he knows and is in control of his destiny (basically, a jerk). the style is purposely snappy, sardonic, even sarcastic if he was allowed to get away with it. The review is for those who are pushy with attitude (but, oh, don't ever blame them for anything for they will never take responsibility for their lack of "professionalism"). Even the word "professional" is completely different in meaning - it now means, "If you can't keep up with my attitude, then YOU are not professional like me". Somebody said it rightly, still waiting for a decent review.

The site is called The Phoblographer. for me that's enough to work out that you're going to get subjective views, and it's not a full fledged, serious camera review site, like dpreview or Imaging Resource. I am looking forward to Imaging Resource's review. They are usually very thorough and fair, and one of the main reviewers shoots Pentax, which means you're not going to get comments just because the camera isn't set up exactly like a Nikon or Canon.
07-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #51
Pentaxian

No offense but he's ignoring you. Add to it the fact that they guy knows him, took his [bad] advice about buying a dSLR, AND calls him out on the bad review and his unprofessional reaction to it and Yes there's one that really nails him. Yours is good too, and I applaud your not letting him get away with it, but his is a more direct assault on the man's integrity IMHO.
Oh I know he's ignoring me, hence why I called him out on that too. And all that does is further prove what I suspected originally regarding his lack of professionalism and maturity (it's hard to say something like that without coming off as a pompous ass [which I'm sure many people perceive] - but I tried anyway).

But yes, since Mr. Wren apparently knows him, it carries significantly more weight - I realize that. And I applaud Mr. Wren for having the integrity to call out what may potentially be a friend.

-Heie
07-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #52
Pentaxian

I happened to follow this guy from his early day writing review, as he is an employer of BHPhotos (I believe, as he appear in several BHPhotos videos...). The Phoblographer is a one man show, and Chris is the guy behind it, I don't know why he keep mentioning 'staffs' but all the while The Phoblographer is his own show? Maybe staffs at BHPhotos?

I personally think his picture taking skill is pretty .... let just say "snapshot styles", but he review interesting new stuff so I keep following his updates.
Well, his definitely have the right to say his opinion towards a camera. If we think Pentax is good and wants to promote it, we should write our own review blogs and post them everywhere too... Like Heie did with his youtube video.

He gave it a 'editor choice award', so not a bad thing overall.
07-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
K-30 Changing AF Point how-to - YouTube

On of the users responded to the author's comments with the video above, showing how easy it is to switch between AF points and then use the ISO/Flash buttons. It'd be nice if all of us could just upvote that, as the author kept claiming "Pentax has a terrible interface that makes selecting focus points difficult because either I lock out the ISO/Flash or I have to go through the menu".
Yeah that was me hehe, good system - especially if you know it exists

07-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #54
Veteran Member

They've given test units to bloggers who are only tangentially connected to photography for Gosh sake.
Well, if they're just into handing them out I wish they'd ship one MY way, lol. I'd end up blogging every photo shoot I took with one, work or not, and review it very honestly. My teacher out in CA just got his hands on one. As much as I love the guy right now I'm so green with envy I could spit. I've never wanted a new camera so bad. So far I've got about $100 in the till. But I've got a lot of stuff up for sale on CL and elsewhere. I've spent the last week or so listing so much stuff it's unreal. Doll stuff, other collectible stuff, camera gear. I'm going to make that $1200 before Christmas. You wait and see. I'm going to have a K-30 and the 18-135WR in hand before the year ends if I have to sell the Takumars to do it. Hopefully it won't come to that. I'm hoping I'll get enough photo work to cover it, but if need be I'll sacrifice them. I'd really rather sell the rest of it than go there though.
07-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Well, if they're just into handing them out I wish they'd ship one MY way, lol. I'd end up blogging every photo shoot I took with one, work or not, and review it very honestly. My teacher out in CA just got his hands on one. As much as I love the guy right now I'm so green with envy I could spit. I've never wanted a new camera so bad. So far I've got about $100 in the till. But I've got a lot of stuff up for sale on CL and elsewhere. I've spent the last week or so listing so much stuff it's unreal. Doll stuff, other collectible stuff, camera gear. I'm going to make that $1200 before Christmas. You wait and see. I'm going to have a K-30 and the 18-135WR in hand before the year ends if I have to sell the Takumars to do it. Hopefully it won't come to that. I'm hoping I'll get enough photo work to cover it, but if need be I'll sacrifice them. I'd really rather sell the rest of it than go there though.
Good luck to you in the sales. I've put 8 items up on the Marketplace here this week and 3 have sold for what I asked for them (Yeah). I'm trying to balance the books on the 70-200/2.8 purchase I made because I promised my wife that we'd play a zero sum game for the time being on the camera gear. I'm worried about what the K-3 is going to look like give how attractive the K-30 has turned out to be (particularly if a really complete review of the AF and light issues clears it).
07-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #56
Site Supporter

I'm with you, magkelly. I really really want this camera. But I am trying to be patient and wait for a few reviews from reliable sources (Adam/Imaging Resource/etc) before diving in. I am going to have to sell my K-r but not until I get the new camera. I would love to keep it but just can't afford both. Anyway, I'm anxious to hear any and all reports of AF from knowledgeable sources.

Good luck raising the money and remember that price will come down the longer you can wait. That's one positive way to think about having to wait a little while.
07-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #57

Judging from the reviewer's later remarks in the comments section, it seems that his K-30 sample was unable to access the focus point mapping function of the center/ok AF button that is accessed by a long press of that button (he seemed to become aware of the function only after commenters pointed it out). If true, something was wrong with his sample or the firmware version and any conclusions he made about the AF function are thus suspect.
07-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #58
Veteran Member

You know it's funny I never thought I would ever love a DSLR camera as much as I love my little K-x. I was 100% happy with it. Figured I might get a used K-5 or K-7 to go with it in a year or two since I was now shooting pro. Eventually I knew I would need a more professional WR body and all, and I didn't think the K-x would last forever if I really used it all the time. I figured shooting for a living two bodies was just smarter, and I wanted the K-x to last as long as I could make it last. I was honestly in no rush. Until I saw that K-30 and read the stats. I still love my K-x and like I said I don't plan on giving it up but I'm seriously in camera lust over the K-30 to the point where it's probably absurd. I know I am repeating myself but it's true.

It's got me considering selling things I'd probably never sell otherwise just to get me one. I'm not kidding about the Taks. I've been sitting here seriously thinking about it all week. I've got so many other lenses it's not like I wouldn't have anything left to use on my cameras that isn't nearly as good. I've got the Chinons. I've got several Sears and Vivitar lenses that I really like and use all the time and in the meantime I'm sitting on $350-400 worth of Taks. That's half the body price of a K-30 almost right there.

I'm going to see how selling off all my extra non-Pentax gear goes. The Pentax gear goes dead last. I've got nearly $1400 worth of gear listed on CL right now plus another $800 in doll stuff and $400 worth of other collectible stuff. If I can sell even half that off I won't need to touch the Taks. But if I can't do that by November I'm going to sell the Taks and put that money towards the K-30. I'd really like that WR kit but I'd settle for a body for now if I can't make that. I'm not done listing yet. I've only just begun. I'm going to list a ton of stuff in stores on Etsy and Artfire this weekend too. I'm having a major garage sale, lol.

As for the guy doing the review it makes sense to me that he is a one man show. Young 20 something with his own blog, maybe shoots a little for pay, but not really a pro. Why else would he use a bump flash scenario on a woman who looks to be his GF with her showing plenty of cleavage for a so called professional review of a camera? Sorry, but if he is a pro it doesn't show. He takes portraits like he's a horny, hungry college student living in a dorm. I went and read it but I couldn't give what he was saying much credence when I saw that. Maybe he is a pro but in his blog review he doesn't really come off looking like one, like he even knows how to use a camera or how to take a proper portrait. Staff? What staff? His GF maybe doing stuff but if he has an office full of people I'd be very surprised indeed.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-11-2012 at 05:21 PM.
07-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lectrolink Quote
Judging from the reviewer's later remarks in the comments section, it seems that his K-30 sample was unable to access the focus point mapping function of the center/ok AF button that is accessed by a long press of that button (he seemed to become aware of the function only after commenters pointed it out). If true, something was wrong with his sample or the firmware version and any conclusions he made about the AF function are thus suspect.
Given his pattern of avoiding ANY and ALL possible user error in his replies I'd add "or so he claims."
07-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I don't understand his comments re aperture selection in video mode. Surely you can select the aperture? He must mean you can't select the aperture while filming (which I wouldn't want to do anyway!) What does he mean by

What difference would third party glass make?
Perhaps he meant glass with an aperture ring, ie. non-DA lenses.