Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #1

The Photographer's K-30 Review

Review: Pentax K-30

Well, there goes our hope for the excellent AF.
But other than the aperture issue during video shooting the review seems to be very favourable towards the K-30.

07-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
His only issue with the AF it seems is the size of the AF point - when using 5 point AF, he couldn't land the AF point properly on her eye without recomposing. I suppose the solution to that is to have a lot more AF points.

In consideration though, I don't think any of the other entry level cameras have more than 11 AF points either.
07-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I won't be convinced until I see some numbers- and those are coming in our K-30 review (thought I unfortunately won't be the one with the camera in hand this time), so I wouldn't lose hope for good AF quite yet!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Enough with the sky is falling. What he actually said is:

"We’ve shown initial sample photos from the Pentax K-30 (K30) and we’ve also run the darned thing under a faucet, and after about a month of use, constant communication with the company and even calling in other products, the K30 is perhaps the most impressive entry level DSLR camera that we’ve seen. I’m not just saying that from my point of view, but this also applies to at least half the staff (who reside here in NYC) that have tried it out and also tried out other competing DSLR cameras. In a nutshell: the Pentax K30 wins our Editor’s Choice, but it comes with its quirks."

07-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A rather weird set of criticisms of the AF.
07-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
Sure, what I get from the article is that the AF has a trouble focusing accurately when using outer 6 AF points which is not a tragedy but from my POV an unnecessary flaw. Still I was dreaming of the well working AF system on par with Canikon cameras. The K-30's AF system doesn't seem to be excellent but I believe for most users (including me) it's gonna be "good enough". My pre-order stays.
07-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #7

His knock about the AF seems to be that "the camera" is not focusing on what "he" wants, but I think it's because "he" is not telling "the camera" where he wants the focus. If you want the focus to be on the eye, lock the focus on the eye and recompose. Don't tell the camera to use an algorithm and randomly select one of 11 points and hope it gets what you want.

Seriously.

07-09-2012, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #8

I always set the AF to the center point. I might be the only one who does that, but I like knowing where my AF is going to land and I can quickly recompose once I have locked that focus in.
07-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lukinosity Quote
His knock about the AF seems to be that "the camera" is not focusing on what "he" wants, but I think it's because "he" is not telling "the camera" where he wants the focus. If you want the focus to be on the eye, lock the focus on the eye and recompose. Don't tell the camera to use an algorithm and randomly select one of 11 points and hope it gets what you want.

Seriously.
He didn't want to do focus and recompose, as it would throw off the focus plane. Which is sorta true - you aim for the eye, and then point at the neck, you are going to put that focus plane further behind the eye.

In consideration though, it's an issue of the focus points being too few and too large. Which, in an entry level camera is normal. I'm sure he's not gonna get any better results from the T4i or the D3200 doing the same.
07-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Sounds all too familiar. He's honest anyway.
Now for the Pentax fan boys, AF is not important at this price range. It is weather sealed. Ergonomics #1. I hate the way Canon and Nikon feel. Or I always use center point AF it is the best.
With Canon t4i AF. It would rip this K-30 to pieces.
Really to bad Canon will not use a Sony sensor. I bet the Pentax IQ is superb when the AF hits.
Anyway, passing big time on this baby. But I do think in 5 years Pentax will be good enough?
07-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Come on guys, the guy is asking for Hassy TruFocus in an $850 camera! Can anyone else say "Get Real!"

"So why do I need to use the outer focusing points to begin with? Why couldn’t I focus and recompose? Because then I’d throw of the plane of focus. It would be nice of Pentax utilized something like Hasslebald’s TruFocus system that was designed for those types of photographers."

Sure the TruFocus approach would be nice, from what I hear, but Hassleblad's lowest priced camera costs what?

Last edited by Docrwm; 07-09-2012 at 09:05 AM.
07-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Waiting for other reviews. This one was hardly comprehensive, and seemed focused () on one genre of photography.

"- Manually select one of 5 points (therefore disabling the ability to use all of the other settings assigned to the hot keys such as wireless flash control fine tuning, ISO control, etc.)" I don't fully understand this, but perhaps it's simply because I've only owned a K100D, K2000 and K-x.

Also, I looked up his bio on the Phoblographer site, and he looks like what my younger friends would call a "tool", and his defensiveness in replying to comments backs this up somewhat.
07-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
He didn't want to do focus and recompose, as it would throw off the focus plane. Which is sorta true - you aim for the eye, and then point at the neck, you are going to put that focus plane further behind the eye.

In consideration though, it's an issue of the focus points being too few and too large. Which, in an entry level camera is normal. I'm sure he's not gonna get any better results from the T4i or the D3200 doing the same.
Except the K-30 isn't an entry level camera??

Like or Hate Pentax, the entire review is suspect as he bounces around different price points in his comparison to negatively critique the camera. He doesn't know how to review a product (in general) properly.
07-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, honestly, for me personally all that matters is if the center point is accurate. I NEVER use the other points. So, that's what I'm interested in and what I hope to read about from users here. Otherwise, it was a very nice review!
07-09-2012, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Except the K-30 isn't an entry level camera??

Like or Hate Pentax, the entire review is suspect as he bounces around different price points in his comparison to negatively critique the camera. He doesn't know how to review a product (in general) properly.
Right, the K-30 is a mid-level camera, yet for some reason I've seen numerous people refer to it as "entry-level".