Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #1

My K-30 Initial Reaction:

While waiting for my D800 to arrive, I decided to grab the K-30 in the mean time to see how it really performs, given that there hasn't been much review about it. I've originally started out a Pentax Guy and my current Pentax DSLR is the K-x, great little camera to travel and walk around with. Well, my K-30 has arrived today. Out of the box, it looks and feels great. I really like the grip.

Upon first look, I was truly disappointed that it doesn't have a headphone Jack for External Mic. I can deal with no HDMI output (given it's meant for run & gun situation), but the lack of External Mic is a big downer for me. However, let's hope the Photo and Video feature can truly perform. This would make a great backup camera for my shooting, especially from Video perspective.

Anyhow, here are couple pics of it (taken with the K-x). More in-depth review once I done charging the battery

07-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow! The blue is more blue'er than it actually looks.... That's a beautiful stunning blue color, the reflection and shininess of it reminds me of the Le Mans M-Sport blue on BMW except this is twice as bright.
07-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
The pics were a little over exposed but the blue are reallyyyy nice. I took it outside and it looks just like that when the sun hits it.
07-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations. That is a stunning blue! I look forward to your detailed review. If it's not too much trouble, could you try it in tungsten and low light to see if it has any FF tendencies?

07-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Congratulations. That is a stunning blue! I look forward to your detailed review. If it's not too much trouble, could you try it in tungsten and low light to see if it has any FF tendencies?
+1

please...?
07-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter

The Blue is even better than I had hoped. Cant' wait to get mine even tho I have to wait a couple of months to save up the cash.
I am anxious to hear how it functions in low light ..
07-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
I will try couple things with them. Schedule is a bit crazy but I will get some thing whipped out.

Just gotta find a place with tungsten light first, lol. :P
07-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atk_designs Quote
I will try couple things with them. Schedule is a bit crazy but I will get some thing whipped out.

Just gotta find a place with tungsten light first, lol. :P
Very kind of you. I believe that theaters and such still use them as spotlights frequently.

07-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #9

Original Poster
Okay, small updates:

I haven't the time to play with it much, just couple minutes yesterday. Here's the feedback I have:

Pro:
1. Very fast AF. It focus automatically, in all lighting condition. Wayyyyyy faster than the K-x.
2. LCD Screen is very sharp. Sharper than the image actually is

Cons:
1. Seems to have front focus problem. I haven't done the specific chart test, however, upon playing around, it seems to be doing so
2. No Mic input & No HDMI out for video really get to me as I also shoot video though. Of course I can sync it with the H4N, but I do wish it has the fuction readily available, even as a backup for run & gun situation.

More to come
07-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Cons:
1. Seems to have front focus problem. I haven't done the specific chart test, however, upon playing around, it seems to be doing so
If you're using that Tamron 17-50 you probably do, notorious for focus issues - mine front focuses on the K-30 badly full adjustment still doesn't bring it into line at 17mm - 50mm its passable. It was also way off on my K20D.

One of my kit lenses needed a bit of in-cam adjustment too, but then it was perfect.
07-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
ahhh....must be why. That kinda sucks. I thought it was my K-x that has Focus issue, but I guess it's in the lens. May be I should try with different lens.

What were you adjustment though?
07-13-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice blue.

Reminds me of the Renault Alpine signature blue:

renault alpine - Google Search

07-13-2012, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

ahhh....must be why. That kinda sucks. I thought it was my K-x that has Focus issue, but I guess it's in the lens. May be I should try with different lens.

What were you adjustment though?
The camera settings? - these differ from individual copies of the lenses, no point getting mine.

If you mean in general, the K-30 has lens specific adjustments available. For focus chart look HERE

Chart print out pdf links at the bottom. Instructions are on the site or essentially below:

Basically cut fold put on flat level surface - put cam on tripod/sturdy surface facing directly at it - and level. Central AF point, AF.S, Shake reduction off (probably won't matter though),AV mode and 2-sec timer for shutter. Make sure lens is out of focus, then allow camera to focus on the central part of the black/white circle take photo at full open aperture first up (F2.8).

Review photo in-cam and zoom/scroll across to the numbers and see if focus is good or not. If it is then you should have on the left hand readings 0 in focus, with an even amount in front and behind (or a bit more behind is acceptable if 0 is in focus).

If it's off, then go into the camera and adjust through the menu. MENU --> C section 4 option 22 "AF Fine Adjustment" press Right, turn it "On" with right button scroll down to "Apply one" and adjust in either direction for front/back focus.

Exit out of menu and re-test (insure the camera goes out of focus, and fully reacquires). If the photo is too soft to clearly identify the focus on the chart close the lens down a bit to increase the DOF and sharpness (say F4/5.6) and make sure you're a sensible distance to the target - 1 or 2meters. Being stopped down on lens obviously increases the amount in focus on the chart, but the Front/Back focus bias will stay the same.

You'll possibly find results may change as you adjust the lens between 17-50mm which makes singular in-cam adjustments pointless (maybe yours is consistent and you're lucky). On my K20D I had to adjust one way for 17mm and the other for 50mm, on the K-30 the lens is just too far out of whack.

I found up really close ~15cm or so focus results were much closer to being normal - which is decidedly odd (should be consistent throughout focus range) Any further back, regardless of how much distance/zoom adjustment and results would front focus so much that full 10 adjustment only has it reaching 0 on the chart and front focus, nothing behind focus point. Zero adjustment in camera has the focus point waay down around the "Copyright" text on the chart.

I will send mine in to Tamron for service, only option left - i've been quoted at $100-200NZD to fix ($80-160 USD)

I did find an online guide to adjusting the lens for front focus issues, by loosening screws around the front element and rotating it - i've tried this through the entire range of adjustment and it did *nothing* detectable on the charts.

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 07-13-2012 at 04:13 AM.
07-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks FruitLooPs. I've did some calibration on my Tamron and it came out a bit better.

Took the camera to a local car meet this weekend. Here are some shots:

07-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #15

Original Poster
Overall, pics came out decent. Though I was a little fooled by how sharp and nice the LCD screen is, pictures look amazon on the screen.

My only bad review of it:

Of the small session yesterday, the camera froze 3 times. I cannot change any settings beside the "Mode dial" and taking pictures. I couldn't turn it off, had to remove the battery. I'm not sure if anyone is experiencing this problem.