Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks.

AF-C keep's readjusting the focus distance. I sometimes use it and sometimes dont. Tbh, I can't tell the difference. I'm sure the difference would be clearer in case of bird in flight kind of photography, but my backgrounds are often cluttered so I don't think expanded AF areas helps (or hurts) that much.

The big secret (for me) with AF-C is to use it in combination with shutter release priority. I typically use longer focals a lot and even small subject or camera movements can cause the focus to take extra long to lock using focus priority. It could be a fraction of a second or even a second longer. May not sound like a lot but it often is. Release priority has proven to work very well for me, so I track using AF-C and typically do burst exposures of 2-4 shots at a time.

Naturally this also means I now use selective AF points a lot.

I could use release priority with AF-S as well but it's less practical with my shooting style. I do many candid shots and with AF-S I might get a photo with closed eyes. It would take too long to refocus using focus priority, or I'd have to repress the shutter while using release priority to get anther shut. Both takes longer - and with the re-press there's the added risk of camera shake.

I'm not interested in random candid shots, but moments when something is happening. someone is laughing, smiling, having fun, whatever. I want my photos to express joy at such events and AF-C along with release priority makes it much easier - otherwise I do use AF-S along with focus priority a lot too. Basically, it's AF-S when things are calm and AF-C when people are moving a bit too much.

01-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #212
Forum Member

Treated myself to a K-30 over Christmas - my first DSLR, and first SLR in more years than I care to think about... loving the K-30 so far, and having fun trying to remember how to drive a real camera...

I've also been pleasantly surprised by the cheap Sigma 18-200 kit lens it came with, which I bought with low expectations thinking I'd replace it as soon as I could afford something better.

A couple of snaps - still lots to learn...

01-16-2013, 04:32 AM   #213
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I replaced my 18-55 kit lens right away, but find the 55mm DA lens to be a good all around lens that I am keeping on the camera as my main lens.

Last edited by lgt525; 01-17-2013 at 10:42 AM.
01-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #214
Forum Member

I have literally just taken this, as such it has had no editing. It was taken on a typical Scottish evening so it was really dull, so i had to use a high ISO

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #215
Forum Member

01-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Thanks.

AF-C keep's readjusting the focus distance. I sometimes use it and sometimes dont. Tbh, I can't tell the difference. I'm sure the difference would be clearer in case of bird in flight kind of photography, but my backgrounds are often cluttered so I don't think expanded AF areas helps (or hurts) that much.

The big secret (for me) with AF-C is to use it in combination with shutter release priority. I typically use longer focals a lot and even small subject or camera movements can cause the focus to take extra long to lock using focus priority. It could be a fraction of a second or even a second longer. May not sound like a lot but it often is. Release priority has proven to work very well for me, so I track using AF-C and typically do burst exposures of 2-4 shots at a time.

Naturally this also means I now use selective AF points a lot.

I could use release priority with AF-S as well but it's less practical with my shooting style. I do many candid shots and with AF-S I might get a photo with closed eyes. It would take too long to refocus using focus priority, or I'd have to repress the shutter while using release priority to get anther shut. Both takes longer - and with the re-press there's the added risk of camera shake.

I'm not interested in random candid shots, but moments when something is happening. someone is laughing, smiling, having fun, whatever. I want my photos to express joy at such events and AF-C along with release priority makes it much easier - otherwise I do use AF-S along with focus priority a lot too. Basically, it's AF-S when things are calm and AF-C when people are moving a bit too much.
You photos are great,

I know this question, and others like it, are asked all of the time but do find that the K30 is missing anything with respect to wedding photography? Does the K5 or K5II have anything over the K30? I think the low light focus might be the only thing.
01-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #217

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
You photos are great,

I know this question, and others like it, are asked all of the time but do find that the K30 is missing anything with respect to wedding photography? Does the K5 or K5II have anything over the K30? I think the low light focus might be the only thing.
IMO, no. Not wedding photography.

Edit; actually, the only thing the K5/IIs would have over the K30 for wedding shots is the quiet shutter.

01-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #218
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few from me lately, cheers

01-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #219
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
You photos are great,

Thanks. I appreciate it.

I do miss few things but nothing vital.

One thing stands out above all though: AF - at the end of the day AF matters a lot.

I only have experience with Pentax cameras. K-x, K-5 and K-r (K-r was the worst performer) which I can relate with and I'd say the K-30 clearly performs well and better than the previous cameras I've had and tried. However, there are moments when it hesitates with AF and this mostly happens in low light.

I earlier wrote that I am lot into candid moment shots. This can mean something suddenly occurs and the camera might take 2-3 seconds to lock focus (I don't know exactly how long. Feels like an eternity while standing there) and I've missed many shots when this happens. It doesn't mean I often come home with lots and lots of missed shots. It's also possible I notice it extra much because that kind of shots are important to me.

If the K-5 II's new low light AF ensures a better success ratio in similar situations, then I *might* buy it for that reason alone, but I have to be convinced first.

The bigger and faster buffer, higher FPS rate and silent shutter are nice things - I'd love to have those but I'm not missing shots because of the lack of them.

A grip would be a plus too though.

The thing that bothers me the most about the K-30 is how the Info button behaves. I didn't like it when I first got the camera and I don't like it now after several thousand shots. I have to *look* and see what I'm doing whereas before, with the other cameras, I could just press on Info few times to toggle it on/off. I get the idea behind the new functionality, but as a wedding and event photographer it's in my way.

Other than that it's really mostly about the small details. Top LCD? I thought it would be cool but never got accustomed to it. I didn't have my K-5 for too long though. I liked the overall feeling of the K-5 better but the K-30 isn't bad. K-5 just felt more serious and robust. I shot for 16h straight at that particular wedding and I think my fingers started to become stiff after 14th hours or something like that - ergonomics are great.. for me at least - just, clip your nails from time to time though
01-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #220

QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
Great photos Tim. Can i ask what lens you used?
Thanks for your kind feedback!

The following lenses were used:

(1) Tamron 17-50/2.8
(2) Sigma 30/1.4
(3) Tamron 17-50/2.8
(4) Tamron 70-200/2.8
(5) Sigma 30/1.4

Cheers
Tim
01-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #221
Veteran Member

Zafar Iqbal

Thank you for the feedback. Everyone, keep the great photos coming,
01-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #222

QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
A few from me lately, cheers
Great shots! Especially the motorbike one.
01-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #223

QuoteOriginally posted by timtrevlig Quote
Thanks for your kind feedback!

The following lenses were used:

(1) Tamron 17-50/2.8
(2) Sigma 30/1.4
(3) Tamron 17-50/2.8
(4) Tamron 70-200/2.8
(5) Sigma 30/1.4

Cheers
Tim
Great, thanks! All fine lenses, as evidenced by your photos.
01-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #224

I will share what I have so far. These are from my first day with the camera. I love this Camera it's great.
Taken with the kit lens in manual mode. Auto was not working for aquariums shots.

This was taken with an older manual 75-300mm macro lens

This was taken with my old Ricoh manual lens.

I love the depth of field I get with this old lens.

This was taken in auto mode with the kit lens on auto.

I have not uploaded my low light photos yet but they are amazing. Not that the photo the them self are amazing just the quality of the photo. I hardly need to use the flash at all with this camera. It shoots great indoor photos.
01-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #225

This photo was taken with an iso 3200 at night inside no flash. It makes my house look brighter then it is.

Same ios 3200 with just room lighing. The detail is pretty good.