Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #1456
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18
K-30 vs Canon 5D markIII

Hi all, after having camera envy over the new K-3 I started pouring over my recent photos when I decided to do some side by side comparisons to my brother in laws 5D mark III. I relize that this is just one example but I thought It might be relevant to anyone who might doubt Pentax's viability against the two big players, My brother in law was using a relatively high end canon zoom lens sorry I cant remember exact model. I was using a relatively inexpensive Sigma APO DG 70-300 zoom(Great lens by the way). At any rate our settings where unplanned but were very simular both shooting at iso 200 no flash. I was very impressed with my K-30 side by side with his 5D especially considering he has probably at least four if not 5Xs more invested into what we were shooting with.Neither shots have any PP done. Higher ISO shots looked very good as well from my side by sides in Lightroom.

Attached Images
 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #1457
Senior Member
Lokusart's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Algarve
Posts: 173
QuoteOriginally posted by flynnstone Quote
Hi all, after having camera envy over the new K-3 I started pouring over my recent photos when I decided to do some side by side comparisons to my brother in laws 5D mark III. I relize that this is just one example but I thought It might be relevant to anyone who might doubt Pentax's viability against the two big players, My brother in law was using a relatively high end canon zoom lens sorry I cant remember exact model. I was using a relatively inexpensive Sigma APO DG 70-300 zoom(Great lens by the way). At any rate our settings where unplanned but were very simular both shooting at iso 200 no flash. I was very impressed with my K-30 side by side with his 5D especially considering he has probably at least four if not 5Xs more invested into what we were shooting with.Neither shots have any PP done. Higher ISO shots looked very good as well from my side by sides in Lightroom.
that's interesting, I'd like to hear more about that comparison
12-06-2013, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #1458
Pentaxian
dcBear78's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gladstone, QLD
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 822
For lower ISO the K-30/50/500 really can hold it's own in IQ stakes (the ff's will leave for dead after 400). Only thing I have noticed so far between K-30 and K-3 is I no longer have to apply as much sharpening, slightly improving the quality. But the difference is still marginal, These lower spec Pentax cameras really are a bargain, and I'd recommend them to anyone (and have recently created a new Pentaxian with a mate picking up a K-30).

With some good glass, comes good results. Those following the Single in December challenge will have seen this pic of my K-3 taken with my K-30 & FA77.


12-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #1459
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18
This is another example of how I believe the K-30 stacks up against a 5D markIII. This is by no means a technical comparison just an example of everyday walk around style shooting. My brother in law is a fantastic photographer, I would put him in the the semipro category, He has shot several paid weddings and just really has a great eye for it, videography as well. After looking closely at these photos just proved to me its more about being behind the camera then looking at whats inside it. K-30 Same Sigma zoom as above, ISO 200, Canon I believe was a little higher ISO @ 670, unknown zoom lens no flash, no pp. for either. I thought this was a good comparison because it is the same subject matter at about the same zoom.

Attached Images
 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #1460
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18
At 100% crop the 5D mark III shows better sharpness but I believe that to be much more about the lens then the camera because I have been able to achieve that kind of sharpness with my f 50 1.7 prime, (again a relatively inexpensive lens) I would love to get my hands on a DA*50-135 for comparison.
12-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #1461
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18
Two more Photos from the K-30 This is with my f 50 1.7 just to give an example of the sharpness this Camera is capable of. I should have stoped down in the first photo to get a little sharper on the Right eye but but very sharp on the left.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #1462
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18
K-30

I meant this to be in above post.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-06-2013, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #1463
Veteran Member
NickLarsson's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,390



12-07-2013, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #1464
Pentaxian
Tsuken's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,483
King parrot with K-30/sigma 30mm (no cropping )

Bit Battered Boy with Bokeh by -Occasionally Focused-
12-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #1465
Veteran Member
NickLarsson's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,390
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
King parrot with K-30/sigma 30mm (no cropping )

Bit Battered Boy with Bokeh by -Occasionally Focused-
Great shot Tsuken!
12-07-2013, 04:06 AM   #1466
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 77
Close to perfect, the focus would be better on the eyes, but great shot.
12-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #1467
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 189
Bridge at Pavia

12-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #1468
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Findlay, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8
Had a fun trip getting to a town a few hours away before sunrise, thought these were pretty good examples.

You can't tell by looking, but it was cold out. Very cold...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
12-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #1469
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,271
QuoteOriginally posted by MrF33 Quote
Had a fun trip getting to a town a few hours away before sunrise, thought these were pretty good examples.

You can't tell by looking, but it was cold out. Very cold...
Beautiful photos. Now what do you qualify as 'very cold'? That looks like water to me, and it is freely flowing.

It is currently +7F/-14C here on the south side Lake Superior, and my friend in northern Minnesota about 60 miles west of the west end of Lake Superior saw -25F/-32C on his thermometer this morning. And I'll bet some of our Canadian and Alaskan friends to our north would think of that shirtsleeve weather.

This is our flowing water at this time of year - sorry not a Pentax image. I had an Olympus P&S in my pocket that day - 28 December 2010, Lake Superior between Eagle Harbor and Copper Harbor, Michigan:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
C3100Z,C3020Z  Photo 

Last edited by JimJohnson; 12-07-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: add photo
12-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #1470
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Findlay, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Beautiful photos. Now what do you qualify as 'very cold'? That looks like water to me, and it is freely flowing.

It is currently +7F/-14C here on the south side Lake Superior, and my friend in northern Minnesota about 60 miles west of the west end of Lake Superior saw -25F/-32C on his thermometer this morning. And I'll bet some of our Canadian and Alaskan friends to our north would think of that shirtsleeve weather.

This is our flowing water at this time of year - sorry not a Pentax image. I had an Olympus P&S in my pocket that day - 28 December 2010, Lake Superior between Eagle Harbor and Copper Harbor, Michigan:

It was about 10F here in Northern NY when I got these pictures, combine that with a pretty constant wind coming off the lake and the conditions were pretty unpleasant. The temperature really dropped in the last day or two, so nothing is frozen yet (it was in the 40's just two days ago)

Not as cold as up there, but still not somewhere I'd want to have a picnic
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1st, april, color, flickr, friends, fun, ice, image, jun, k-30, k-30 photos, k-50, lens, lol, macro, nature, pentax, pentax k30, pentax k50, picture, pm, post, shots, story, tamron70-300mm, week, woods
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post your 85mm 1.4 Photos! (1.4 ONLY!) PentaxForums-User Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 40 05-08-2014 04:33 PM
Post your Q photos/videos here. Clicker Pentax Q 2 02-08-2012 08:06 PM
Thematic Post your Ricoh photos! johnmflores Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 14 07-04-2011 01:01 AM
Where do I post photos that need help? KierraElizabeth Site Suggestions and Help 2 01-08-2011 10:45 AM
Travel 10 photos accepted in PPG (10 photos, larger post) tcom Post Your Photos! 22 01-22-2010 07:37 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:34 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top