Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1703 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #901
Jon

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Rediscovered this one earlier today.

Great Shot Sagitta. Reminds me of the snowy street shot done by Gregory Crewdson.

07-02-2013, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #902
Forum Member

Water fall

My first try at flowing water, It was windy and I was standing on bridge with traffic going by shaking bridge..Hand held with 18-55 SMC DAL lens

Last edited by sujo78; 12-14-2014 at 12:26 PM.
07-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #903
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jon Quote
Great Shot Sagitta. Reminds me of the snowy street shot done by Gregory Crewdson.
Thanks. Hilariously, I'm not even sure what lens I used for it - I was putting the O-GPS1 through its paces, and apparently the focal length was never entered for whatever manual lens I was using that night. I want to say it was (probably) one of my 50mm's, as I couldn't see having had anything else out and going that night even close to what that shot looked like.

I remember mucking with it back when I took it and shelving it to 'work on later' which usually means purgatory for shots like that. Going through long exposures in LR though it jumped at me so I gave it a whirl with some minor post process and it clicked for me this time.

EDIT: Holy cow, I just looked that guy up... 5 weeks for ONE shot? I'm astounded. That one was 2 seconds and 3 in the morning which eliminated the traffic! LOL
07-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #904
Jon

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Thanks. Hilariously, I'm not even sure what lens I used for it - I was putting the O-GPS1 through its paces, and apparently the focal length was never entered for whatever manual lens I was using that night. I want to say it was (probably) one of my 50mm's, as I couldn't see having had anything else out and going that night even close to what that shot looked like.

I remember mucking with it back when I took it and shelving it to 'work on later' which usually means purgatory for shots like that. Going through long exposures in LR though it jumped at me so I gave it a whirl with some minor post process and it clicked for me this time.

EDIT: Holy cow, I just looked that guy up... 5 weeks for ONE shot? I'm astounded. That one was 2 seconds and 3 in the morning which eliminated the traffic! LOL
Hahah, yea Crewdson is a bit of a mentalist. His documentary was available on Netflix last I checked. 'Brief Encounters'
Anyways, the lit store fronts and absence of people really works in your shot.

07-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #905

I've shot thousands of photo's but never really attempted to shoot Macro, decided yesterday to give it a try and these are the results.
I've got a lot of work to do on technique and understanding the MACRO lens, these were taken with the Tamron 90mm macro which I've only used for Portraits till now.

Some of of the things I discovered: at age 65 I'm not as steady as I used to be and even a gentle breeze can affect focus accuracy.
I also found out that I wasn't as informed about DOF as I thought I was. DOF seems to be a different animal when shooting MACRO.

The very first shot:

These guys caught my attention as I was walking down the path, they were in combat one attempting to move the other out of the hole to the right. I had to use the on-board flash for these it was pretty dark in the shade.

Here they are taking a break.

Last but not least. For me this is the best of the lot, I couldn't seem to remain steady enough to get close enough for the shot I really wanted to take. It's hell getting older.

Last edited by geru2000; 07-03-2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Attempted to post a larger image of the last shot
07-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #906
Jon

In the spirit of the Fourth of July, A Minuteman in Boston.
(no the composition is not perfect, but out of respect I opted to not shove me camera in his face)

And of course... Our fearless first President, donning Bruins black and gold.
07-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #907

Union Square, Timisoara, Romania. Two different hours, two different views, same subject:

07-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #908
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's a shot of the Bison fire in northern Nevada.

Bison fire crests Pine Nuts, burning on both sides | RecordCourier.com

This is what I see from my backyard.

07-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #909

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Here's a shot of the Bison fire in northern Nevada.

Bison fire crests Pine Nuts, burning on both sides | RecordCourier.com

This is what I see from my backyard.

I really hope you and your family are safe from fire.
07-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #910
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigJPR Quote
I really hope you and your family are safe from fire.
Thanks! We're pretty far from it but it' still clearly visible as you can see from the picture. The wind is blowing the fire away from us and toward the emptiness of Nevada's public lands. At least the smoke has been white vs. black. That means there's no trash burning out there - just brush and trees.
07-07-2013, 12:58 AM - 2 Likes   #911
Pentaxian

~ Still waters ~
07-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #912
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

~ Still waters ~
Still waters - what a great photo. Was the water really that calm?
07-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #913

I usually don't post too many portraits because I think that the nicer work that I'll get to do is far away in front of me when I get at the very least an out of camera flash for fill light in my ambient light portraits I try to snap here and there. Still, had to share this one of my granddaughter specifically for you guys to let me know what you think knowing, that I think from the get go, I needed a little bit more of fill flash from the on camera flash. Tried to bring it as much as I could without taking away the original, sun to the back rim lighting her feel of it.

07-07-2013, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #914

And just in case I can't handle what you throw at me with the previous post. Here is the usual photo for the thread. Taken about 2 hours ago in the city of Reading, PA.

Last edited by BigJPR; 07-07-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Forgot the picture code!!!
07-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #915
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Still waters - what a great photo. Was the water really that calm?
Thanks, I used a 10 stop Haida ND filter.
1st time using it and I was surprised that it gave no color cast despite the cheap price.