Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
How long is the warranty in Singapore?
I figured it was a year, but I don't know for sure. I just did a search, and found this quote from forum member Creampuff from an older thread where somebody was asking about buying a K-5 from Singapore:
Warranty is 1 year local with the option for extended warranty (with a small fee). As to international warranty, best to check with the local agent, Emjay, but there are many instances of tourists and visitors who buy in Singapore but ship their cameras back to the service facility over here (it happens with other brands as well). We are very fortunate to have a very experienced and terrific Pentax service technician over here.

07-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I figured it was a year, but I don't know for sure. I just did a search, and found this quote from forum member Creampuff from an older thread where somebody was asking about buying a K-5 from Singapore:
Warranty is 1 year local with the option for extended warranty (with a small fee). As to international warranty, best to check with the local agent, Emjay, but there are many instances of tourists and visitors who buy in Singapore but ship their cameras back to the service facility over here (it happens with other brands as well). We are very fortunate to have a very experienced and terrific Pentax service technician over here.
I wonder how small the fee is for the extended warranty?
07-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #48
Veteran Member

There is a contact link on their website, and they responded back to me within 30 minutes. It's late here, but it should be early in the day there.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-18-2012 at 10:34 PM.
07-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #49
Veteran Member

There is a contact link on their website, and they responded back to me withing 30 minutes. It's late here, but it should be early in the day there.
I didn't get a quick email response (60 hours since I placed the order) so I called them. They were very friendly and helpful, and my K-30/18-135 arrives tomorrow.

07-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Cool. It's arrived.

3.5 days from order to receipt. Very good considering it has travelled internationally over 1,500 miles.

Good job, Emjay.

Thanks for the original link, Frank!
07-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Just for another point of reference, I ordered my white K-30/18-55mm from Singapore on Wednesday July 18th. My order showed "shipped" on Thursday July 19th, but I was not sent any tracking information.

Today, July 20th, I came home and had a message on my answering machine from an agent with "Fedex Trade Networks" who said he would be helping my package through customs, and wanted a call back at his direct number. He also advised me of the tracking number. I called back, but he was out of the office until Monday so I left a message.

I called the regular FedEx number and gave them the tracking number, and the lady said that the package had left Singapore, but had not yet arrived in the United States. She assured me that the package would not be delayed due to me missing the call from the agent. She said he had just called to get a head start. She said the package is still due to arrive at my residence in Indiana on Wednesday the 25th. If it does get here on Wednesday, I'll be pretty impressed since it will still be faster than most of the items I order from Amazon with their "Super Saver" shipping.

I'll provide another update when I get the camera. But I have a feeling that these next few days are going to go by slowly...
07-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just for another point of reference, I ordered my white K-30/18-55mm from Singapore on Wednesday July 18th. My order showed "shipped" on Thursday July 19th, but I was not sent any tracking information.

Today, July 20th, I came home and had a message on my answering machine from an agent with "Fedex Trade Networks" who said he would be helping my package through customs, and wanted a call back at his direct number. He also advised me of the tracking number. I called back, but he was out of the office until Monday so I left a message.

I called the regular FedEx number and gave them the tracking number, and the lady said that the package had left Singapore, but had not yet arrived in the United States. She assured me that the package would not be delayed due to me missing the call from the agent. She said he had just called to get a head start. She said the package is still due to arrive at my residence in Indiana on Wednesday the 25th. If it does get here on Wednesday, I'll be pretty impressed since it will still be faster than most of the items I order from Amazon with their "Super Saver" shipping.

I'll provide another update when I get the camera. But I have a feeling that these next few days are going to go by slowly...
Glad to hear its moving along so quickly! Sorry to say, but he called in order to arrange the fees and customs duties that you have to pay. I've never paid import on items shipped via EMS and USPS but have almost always on higher end items from overseas that come in via FedEx.

Last edited by Docrwm; 07-21-2012 at 05:07 AM.
07-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Glad to hear its moving along so quickly! Sorry to say, but he called in order to arrange the fees and customs duties that you have to pay. I've never paid import on items shipped vie EMS and USPS but have almost always on higher end items from overseas that come in via FedEx.
Great. Anybody want to take a stab in the dark at what the fees might be? Do I have any options here if the fees end up being high?
07-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great. Anybody want to take a stab in the dark at what the fees might be? Do I have any options here if the fees end up being high?
Ask for copies of the declaration be faxed or emailed to you so you can see what was stated by the seller about cost, etc. Don't let FedEx go with a look for themselves on what the item is going for locally because they will use that figure in the calculations rather than what you paid - which was considerably less as I recall. Provide them a copy of the webpage (if the amount is still the same) or your invoice or statement that reflects the price. Remember to subtract shipping and any other fees from the amount and do it in writing via fax for them. I bought a higher end watch from Singapore two years ago and got it for a LOT less than it sells for via the one seller of that brand in the US. The difference in tax between what FedEd thought it cost and what it really cost was significant. If it was open box, make sure you say that in the description.
07-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I'm trying to research this online, but the information I'm finding is a little murky. The only HTS (tariff) code I can find for an SLR camera is 9006.51.00. If I'm reading the chart correctly, then SLR cameras are "free". If you go to Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States and search "9006.51.00" you can see what I'm talking about. When you search, your results will show up in the left hand window pane. After searching, click on 9006.51.00 to see the full listing.
07-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm trying to research this online, but the information I'm finding is a little murky. The only HTS (tariff) code I can find for an SLR camera is 9006.51.00. If I'm reading the chart correctly, then SLR cameras are "free". If you go to Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States and search "9006.51.00" you can see what I'm talking about. When you search, your results will show up in the left hand window pane. After searching, click on 9006.51.00 to see the full listing.
That sounds encouraging. FedEx also has a processing fee beyond merely the US Customs fee itself. Look at the itemized bill.
07-20-2012, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

I've never run into this situation before, but then again I've never ordered something this expensive from overseas. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't turn into a fool's errand where the Customs/FedEx fees end up cancelling out all the savings for ordering from Singapore. Maybe I can at least get some 'likes' for being the guinea pig.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-20-2012 at 07:13 PM.
07-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Enter your tracking number in the box for a status update:

http://www.fedex.com/Tracking
07-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Anybody want to take a stab in the dark at what the fees might be?
Brokerage. A good reason not to ship across international borders using a courier. Hopefully you won't be gouged too badly.
07-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Brokerage. A good reason not to ship across international borders using a courier. Hopefully you won't be gouged too badly.
I spend close to US$10K a year on FedEx and other couriers (through my business) and have never had my customers be gouged by brokers. Most of what we send are prototypes and early production, but we also send retail-ready product too.

FedEx should not charge a penny more for the service if it is a duty-free item.