Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
FedEx should not charge a penny more for the service if it is a duty-free item.
Well, I hope it does turn out to be duty free. I'll let you all know how it goes.

07-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I spend close to US$10K a year on FedEx and other couriers (through my business) and have never had my customers be gouged by brokers. Most of what we send are prototypes and early production, but we also send retail-ready product too.

FedEx should not charge a penny more for the service if it is a duty-free item.
Not sure but it sounds like you are not receiving Retail Items shipped from another country to the US. I have received 10-12 of such packages from Singapore, Germany, Japan, and the UK in the last 2 years. Those sent via EMS/USPS never were charged Customs Duty or any processing fees. Each of the packages sent via FedEx was charged BOTH the customs duty set forth by the US Government AND a "brokerage fee" by FedEx for simply collecting the money from me and passing it along to the US Government.
07-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Not sure but it sounds like you are not receiving Retail Items shipped from another country to the US. I have received 10-12 of such packages from Singapore, Germany, Japan, and the UK in the last 2 years. Those sent via EMS/USPS never were charged Customs Duty or any processing fees. Each of the packages sent via FedEx was charged BOTH the customs duty set forth by the US Government AND a "brokerage fee" by FedEx for simply collecting the money from me and passing it along to the US Government.
Based on your experience, would you mind giving me a rough ballpark estimate of what you would expect the fees to be in this case? I mean, are we talking $20 - $30, or $100+ ?

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-21-2012 at 09:52 AM.
07-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Based on your experience, would you mind giving me a rough ballpark estimate of what you would expect the fees to be in this case? I mean, I we talking $20 - $30, or $100+ ?
$25 or so would be my WAG given what you found online and FedEx's fees.

07-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Okay, thanks.
07-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Each of the packages sent via FedEx was charged BOTH the customs duty set forth by the US Government AND a "brokerage fee"
This was my experience *once*. I buy a lot of stuff online, and being in Canada, it largely comes from abroad--either Hong Kong or US. I simply do not buy unless the seller will ship by USPS. NO exceptions. My experience was with UPS. A $100 duty free item was assessed a brokerage fee of $50. MY eBay bargain suddenly wasn't so sweet.

If you live near your country's point of entry, you can broker it yourself. You need to arrange to show up at the appropriate location at the airport and sign a paper and pay any duties owing. Perhaps that's what the phone call from Fed Ex was about.
07-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
.....If you live near your country's point of entry, you can broker it yourself. You need to arrange to show up at the appropriate location at the airport and sign a paper and pay any duties owing. Perhaps that's what the phone call from Fed Ex was about.
That's how they do it, they call to start the process. It actually gives you time to get the documents in via Fax that substantiate the price you are going to list for the basis for the duty and not slow down delivery. None of the items I bought that were assessed Brokerage fees were duty-free so I am not certain how FedEx will handle it of the dSLR is in fact duty-free to the US.

07-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Tracking on Sunday night is showing that the camera is now just 300 or 400 miles away in Memphis, Tennessee. I'll call the FedEx agent in the morning and see what the story is on any fees.
07-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Just as I was about to call FedEx this morning, they called me. The woman said she was going to fax or email me some paperwork that I needed to fill out and send back. I told her that I had looked the camera up on the US International Trade Commission site, and found a code that indicated there should be no duty charged for SLR cameras with through the lens viewfinders and that don't take film larger than 35mm. She took the code and then asked a few questions about the camera.

She asked if it was digital, and I just reemphasized that it is not a standard digital camera, and is instead a through the lens SLR that doesn't take film larger than 35mm. She then confirmed that I paid $933 US for the camera, and I corrected that it was Singapore dollars, and worked out to around $750 US. She also asked if it was manufactured in Singapore, and I told her I thought it was manufactured in Japan. After getting all the information, she then told me that there would be no further paperwork necessary, and that the camera would be delivered on Wednesday. Yay!

EDIT: I just remembered, she also asked if the camera was disposable. And she asked if it had a "built-in electronic stroboscopic flash". I told her I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, and she said that was okay. It sounded like she didn't know very much about cameras. I don't know whether that helped in this case, or wouldn't make any difference.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-23-2012 at 05:36 AM.
07-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just as I was about to call FedEx this morning, they called me. The woman said she was going to fax or email me some paperwork that I needed to fill out and send back. I told her that I had looked the camera up on the US International Trade Commission site, and found a code that indicated there should be no duty charged for SLR cameras with through the lens viewfinders and that don't take film larger than 35mm. She took the code and then asked a few questions about the camera.

She asked if it was digital, and I just reemphasized that it is not a standard digital camera, and is instead a through the lens SLR that doesn't take film larger than 35mm. She then confirmed that I paid $933 US for the camera, and I corrected that it was Singapore dollars, and worked out to around $750 US. She also asked if it was manufactured in Singapore, and I told her I thought it was manufactured in Japan. After getting all the information, she then told me that there would be no further paperwork necessary, and that the camera would be delivered on Wednesday. Yay!

EDIT: I just remembered, she also asked if the camera was disposable. And she asked if it had a "built-in electronic stroboscopic flash". I told her I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, and she said that was okay. It sounded like she didn't know very much about cameras. I don't know whether that helped in this case, or wouldn't make any difference.
Excellent! Looks like your research paid off for you! Perhaps the information on the US Customs Code ought to be a sticky if things are going to be such bargains from Singapore now

Funny but the code you cite would NOT exclude the K-01 or other such OVF-less cameras from import duty.
07-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #71
Veteran Member

From the old world box-tape masters of Singapore comes....the Pentax K-30:

07-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Congrats! Looks well packaged!
07-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
From the old world box-tape masters of Singapore comes....the Pentax K-30:
Most Excellent! Now, did FedEx charge any "processing" fees?
07-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #74
Veteran Member

No. Just as the woman I spoke to had indicated, there were no fees.

The package was very well packed. The Pentax box was wrapped in bubble wrap and then overpacked into a plain brown box, which was very heavily taped, and also had a "security seal". This box was then wrapped in several layers of black plastic, which was then completely wrapped in clear tape. And on top of it all were stuck a couple large, clear plastic document pouches. So when you go to open your camera, be sure that you have 15 minutes set aside.

I was getting ready for work, so I didn't have much time to mess with the camera. But I've brought it to work with me, and I have the battery charging in the office right now. I'll post some of my thoughts once I've had a little time with the camera.
07-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No. Just as the woman I spoke to had indicated, there were no fees.

The package was very well packed. The Pentax box was wrapped in bubble wrap and then overpacked into a plain brown box, which was very heavily taped, and also had a "security seal". This box was then wrapped in several layers of black plastic, which was then completely wrapped in clear tape. And on top of it all were stuck a couple large, clear plastic document pouches. So when you go to open your camera, be sure that you have 15 minutes set aside.

I was getting ready for work, so I didn't have much time to mess with the camera. But I've brought it to work with me, and I have the battery charging in the office right now. I'll post some of my thoughts once I've had a little time with the camera.
That's terrific. Very nice all around and kudos to the folks in Singapore!