Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30 on eBay already - wow they're expensive!

Pentax K-30 | eBay

Looks like they're going for $1k+ on eBay. In the US they are selling for $850 body only. It might be cheaper some elsewhere in the world than their local prices though.

07-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Just cause they are listed at a certain price doesn't mean they are actually "going" for that price.
07-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I remember ten years ago when ebay used to be a place for deals. Now it's often a place to get ripped off. It's as if the sellers expect their buyers to be the least informed consumers out there when it comes to prices and warranties.
07-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Just cause they are listed at a certain price doesn't mean they are actually "going" for that price.
Of course. It does show several things though:
  • eBay sellers are fast to market
  • prices vary across sales platforms and countries
  • regional price controls have less chance of working each day due to the internet

07-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not everyone lives in the US, and to some, buying from eBay might be a lot cheaper.
07-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I'm impressed with the colour range offered for the K30 on EBay too, one seller has about 11 different colours. Thought I might order the yellow one. Yea right, most of the ones offered are a total rip off. Some times I have got a deal from EBay, but on cameras I would be very careful.

Here in Australia it is available body only for $765 and for $33 more with the 18-55, which even for a kit lens is a great price. If only I could talk my wife into it I would look at replacing her K20D, then I have 2 K20Ds with nothing to do.

Last edited by AussieTrev; 07-10-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph.
07-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't mean that eBay can't be a good option sometimes. You just need to watch out. There is some crazily overpriced photography gear listed on there!
07-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
I don't mean that eBay can't be a good option sometimes. You just need to watch out. There is some crazily overpriced photography gear listed on there!
I agree. An informed consumer can find great bargains there but it is much harder than it used to be IMHO. The recent sale of BNIB K-5s for $799 is an example of a terrific deal. Other Pentax options, not so much lately.

07-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One of the reasons (besides needing to save up for it) I'm waiting on a K-30 is because I am really hoping that Pentax will release the crystal red kit to a wider market so I can get it on Amazon. I still don't understand that. Why only the blue is available stateside when red is particularly linked with Pentax. I don't want the blue or the white. I'd settle for black but what I really want is that dark cherry red number. I really want the WR kit and the red. I won't buy it off Ebay though. It's Amazon directly, B&H, Adorama or Walmart for me, preferably Amazon or Walmart.
07-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
One of the reasons (besides needing to save up for it) I'm waiting on a K-30 is because I am really hoping that Pentax will release the crystal red kit to a wider market so I can get it on Amazon. I still don't understand that. Why only the blue is available stateside when red is particularly linked with Pentax. I don't want the blue or the white. I'd settle for black but what I really want is that dark cherry red number. I really want the WR kit and the red. I won't buy it off Ebay though. It's Amazon directly, B&H, Adorama or Walmart for me, preferably Amazon or Walmart.
My wife loves Red cameras too, and cell phones, laptops, etc. She had a Sony P&S and now a Panasonic GF2, both BRIGHT red.
07-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Just checked with the local dealer here in Australia, DigiDirect, based in Sydney. They are expecting stock this week or next and they don't expect the listed price to change as they already have their wholesale price. $765, body only listed. They have three store fronts in Sydney and online sales. Shipping to Australia is a flat $15.95, which is unreal. I am temped to place the order as my wife is very interested. I've started a shopping cart a couple of times this morning.

Yes the bright red would be great, but I love the cool blue. Maybe I just love making a statement, having the yellow K-01.
07-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Many international dealers use the auction site to sell in places where the camera hasn't been released, and ask a premium to capture those who really really to be among the first owners. Once in stock in that country the game's up - unless you have cool unavailable colours, of course..
07-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Well Did It

Just ordered the K30 Blue. $780.90 AUD delivered. This is Anniebell's new camera. Looks like we are leaving the K20D camp behind us, they have served us well. I am sticking to the K5. As Annie wants to do more star trails the K30 I think will be much like the K5. Also with her love of the macro the focus peaking will be great for the manual focus work.

Just got to wait till stock arrives. A week of two at the most. Yeah.
07-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Adorama has them on eBay for a lot less: Pentax K-30 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55 DA Lens, Blue #15758 027075218215 | eBay

Interesting that Australian stores are showing lower prices than US ones, now. eBay prices for most Pentax stuff are outrageous, compared with these sources, and we're not talking about expensive European sites, but Chinese ones generally and even Hong Kong sites. Japanese eBay sites like Shueido's are way over even those.
07-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I checked some of the other Australian stores and they must be making some serious dollars if I can buy local for $140 less. But we are a nation where we often pay a premium. Apple is a classic example. Then there is Photoshop and Auotcad. Nothing to be greater than $1000 extra just to download the same product that people in the US down load. But I've got Annie's blue camera ordered and the price locked in.