Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #31

Using manual settings I get a normal image.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I agree, it's strange behaviour, but there is a solution that requires no compromise on your part. A number of people have advised not to use Green Mode, and that is the answer. Program (P mode), is a fully automatic setting. The differences between it and Green mode are that it allows you to do some things that Green mode doesn't, but it is not what anyone would call a manual mode. Everything is completely automatic, you don't have to make any decisions. It is to your benefit to learn enough that you can take better photos than any auto mode, but you don't have to learn anything if you don't want to. Just take the advice, give up on Green Mode and set the dial to P.
Thanks for that tip, it's certainly helpful to know. However P mode still sets a slow enough shutter speed 1/20 to get some blur. It is better than green auto mode I would have to agree and I will use this from now on. Still seems strange to have a consumer based camera that shoots better in a mode other than auto.
12-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #33

I experienced this when I switched to the Kr from the DS. The camera seems to favor slow shutter speeds, even with external flash. Like Pentax intended it only for fill or ambient shots.

My solution is to use Tv mode and set shutter speed manually. Of course if you want to control aperture too, manual mode is the way to go.

I guess this is a feature that's turning out to be a bug
12-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graym3546 Quote
You must have very steady hands to get a picture like that with a 5 second shutter speed.
My photos with the flash look like this.
It's been pointed out enough already that Auto capture mode isn't really designed for flash pictures. When you pop the flash up, is there anything that's preventing anyone from moving the mode dial from Auto to P?

12-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graym3546 Quote
You must have very steady hands to get a picture like that with a 5 second shutter speed.
My photos with the flash look like this.
As I held my in arms length in front of my face I most likely shook my camera much more than you did. The difference in our shots is that my shot was dominated by flash light and your shot was dominated by ambient light. But it looks like parts in the foreground in your image is sharp as they got hit with most light from the flash.

When using flash it's like take two pictures at the same time, one image with light from flash, and one that use ambient light. And the magic comes when you understand how to mix them both the best way. But it's usually very difficult to get any automatic mode to grab flash images as you want, and even more difficult if combined with auto-ISO.

As the flash burst is less than 1/1000s it will easily freeze a subject even if using much longer shutter speed, but only if the flash light is stronger than ambient light. As the flash can't reach very long the background usually consist mostly of ambient light if using longer shutter speeds.
12-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #36

Maybe with the k-30 they are mimic the most recent P&S behaviour, cameras are trying to have well exposed
pictures despite some severe blur, I think that this behaviour becames from the fact that many people try to
make shots in the dark with the flash and in past all those peoples got black pictures, so camera makers changed
shutter speed to capture something even in dark ambients like churchs, cities during night and so on
12-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Something I noticed is that in P mode the ISO and shutter speed depend on the focus distance (not just the focl length). In other words if you shoot the exact same scene with the lens set at infinity you will get a different combination of shutter/aperture/ISO from what you get with the lens focused to a distance of say 1 metre,
At one point I had understood the logic of what it was doing (or perhaps just thought so) but I cannot remember what that was and neither can I figure it out again :-(
12-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #38

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I got my blue K-30 delivered today. Just put in the strap. eneloops with the AA adapter that I already had, and the DA 18-250, and started taking a few pictures indoors, in lowlight, in green mode.

Pleasantly surprised to see that the flash did not automatically pop-up by default. Factory setting was auto ISO 100-3200 . It just raised the ISO and pictures were fine without the flash.

However, when I manually popped up the flash, the behavior was very strange : ISO was lowered dramatically, and the shutter speed decreased dramatically.

Without flash, at 18mm, I get f3.5, 1/15 and ISO 3200 .
With flash popped up, I get f3.5, 1" and ISO 100 ! 1" is not handholdable of course.
What's weird is that the viewfinder just shows "auto-ISO" when the flash is popped up, and don't see the actual ISO until after the shot is taken and I review it. If the flash is down, I see "3200" in the viewfinder.

I thought shutter speed was supposed to be 1/180 for flash ? So why is it 1" ?

This isn't making any sense to me, coming from the K200D and K-r.

I will post some shots with the EXIF.

When I look at the shots on the LCD in detailed mode, everything is the same except the ISO, shutter speed and the flash icon being absent or present.

The auto "scene" mode shows that "night scene" was selected for both.

Firmware is 1.00 .

User error or bug?
I noticed the same thing today with my K-30 and 18-250. I was just experimenting with the auto setting with flash. It just happened at a certain focal length, somewhere around 50mm and I was taking a shot of a small (breadbox sized) wooden object in the living room. The camera kept selecting a slow shutter speed between 1/4" and 1". It was really weird. I've never had a problem like that out of my K200D. I guess it must be something to do with the camera's selection of the automatic scene mode. Maybe there are too many to choose from! I think it just got a little confused. "P" mode is where I usually shoot and I haven't had any problems in that mode at all. I guess the cameras are not quite as smart as I thought they were, at least all of the time. Most of the time the camera is pretty darn smart.