Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2012, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Pentax K30 vs Sony SLT-a57 sample Images

My Pentax K30 18-135mm WR kit just arrived and before I started charging the battery I could not resist taking a few comparison shots with it and my Sony SLT-a57.
As they use similar sensors I thought it would be interesting to see the difference in images.
This is highly unscientific and I hope to take more 'controlled' ones later on.
All images where taken raw, using the same ISO/Aperture/Shutter speed/Focal length and converted to jpeg using Lightroom 4
No editing was applied in Lightroom, just a straight export.
The AF was set to center spot and the focus point was the center of the block of text of the middle bottle.
One thing I noticed was that the Pentax K30 focuses faster than the Sony and the Pentax 18-135mm has a nice MFD.

Pentax K30 ISO 100

Sony SLT-a57 ISO 100

Pentax K30 ISO 800

Sony SLT-a57 ISO 800

07-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting. The K-30 ISO800 noise in the shadows is definitely cleaner than the A-57. Also handy to hear about the faster Pentax AF speed. Viewed at the largest size, the lotion tube is larger in the A-57 shot than the K-30 shot so text detail comparisons are invalid, but the K-30 shot looks good in all things that matter.

Last edited by SteveB; 07-12-2012 at 02:40 PM.
07-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Interesting. The K-30 ISO800 noise in the shadows is definitely cleaner than the A-57. Also handy to hear about the faster Pentax AF speed. Viewed at the largest size, the lotion tube is larger in the A-57 shot than the K-30 shot so text detail comparisons are invalid, but the K-30 shot looks good in all things that matter.
Yes, I noticed the difference in size as well.
Strange as I was the same distance away and used ~100mm focal length for both cameras.
I set thing up hoping to have enough shadow to play with in post for both cameras hoping to see what could be cleanly extracted from each.
Will post those as crops later as well.
07-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
Even if someone gave me just the camera body; or even a complete outfit... I'd still go for the Pentax over that particular Sony model time after time - and never look back.

I own a Sony A900; and outside of Soony full frame; a very few of their other almost 25mp cameras, and perhaps some of their p&s... I would still not use a majority of the Sony cameras. I still see very evident examples of lack of built quality in most of the Sony models. Sure they have the image sensr chips and also bells & whistles such as high fps and all, but... Most Sony's aren't meant for true professional use, or even long term use, or even true durability.

To also compare Apples and oranges (so to state); I'd also even rate the Pentax K-5 as far better than any existing marketing Sony (even full frames)

07-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robwill Quote
Yes, I noticed the difference in size as well.
Strange as I was the same distance away and used ~100mm focal length for both cameras.
I set thing up hoping to have enough shadow to play with in post for both cameras hoping to see what could be cleanly extracted from each.
Will post those as crops later as well.
Superzoom lenses do that, when focused fairly close their listed FL doesn't match the field of view. It's fun to test: put to the max focal length, hold up to your eye and turn the focus ring & watch the field shrink!

Thanks for the tests - Sony does sensors well, but noise reduction clearly still lags.
07-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Superzoom lenses do that, when focused fairly close their listed FL doesn't match the field of view. It's fun to test: put to the max focal length, hold up to your eye and turn the focus ring & watch the field shrink!

Thanks for the tests - Sony does sensors well, but noise reduction clearly still lags.
In consideration, that's partly the SLT's translucent mirror's fault.