Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-30 AF Tested by PentaxForums.com

You guys may recall that back when the K-01 came out, we put it through a fairly rigorous set of autofocus tests, as tabulated here. Both speed & accuracy were measured.

Well, we're currently working on doing the same with the K-30, and while we're not going to post any numbers or data until the whole review is published, I can say that the K-30 has impressed us in terms of PDAF accuracy and CDAF speed- it consistently outperforms the K-5 in those areas. However, in terms of PDAF speed, the K-5 beat the K-30 in 8 out of 17 tests, and tied in 5. The K-5's PDAF focused faster when there was plenty of light, for the most part.

So, without drawing any definitive conclusions as of yet, there's been progress, but it looks like Pentax is taking baby steps rather than big steps with respect to AF improvement. Stay tuned for more!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #2

Good news and it's great to hear that you have a testing sample finally available. Looking forward to your review!
07-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tease I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the full review.
07-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Accuracy is more important than speed to a good extent

Good to hear! I am going to get it in a month or two.

07-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

This is what ive been wating for..Glad I bought a second K-5 !!
07-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Looking forward to the big test.
07-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks for the tease I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the full review.
I've gotten word that it's coming along quite well (= it will be posted on schedule, by early next week).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've gotten word that it's coming along quite well (= it will be posted on schedule, by early next week).
That's very good news. It is looking good so far, makes me very interested in what they will do to replace the K-5.