Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I believe Olympus does, yes.
Yup, the OM E-M5 (or whatever its called) has a tilting screen and is weather-sealed. I don't think the screen is fully articulated, but even a longitudinally tilting screen is useful.

07-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #17

The aperture change would be probably be done only if you move around to a different location where the lighting conditions change, and continue recording.

Right, there is no continuous AF on the K-30. I think Sony has implemented it in their DSLRs.
Supposedly Canon put something in the T4i too.
that's exactly why Vari-ND filters exist If the lighting condition change, you just rotate the filter and it will darken or lighten the scene keeping the same DoF... this is a must if you are recording in bright day at 24fps (1/50) at F2.8.

Well maybe you should read the manual because the K-30 does AF while you are recording if you press the shutter
Pentax K-30 Focusing Test in Movie mode - YouTube
07-13-2012, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #18

It is too bad that the K-30 pairs the best video I have seen with the worst audio.
What you wrote is what I've been thinking since I first heard there is no external-mic port on the K-30. I was just waiting for someone to confirm it. It amazes me that the decision makers at Pentax would "cheapen" the otherwise outstanding K-30 in such a shortsighted and contradictory way. Someone at Pentax had to know how stupid that decision was, yet it happened anyway -- all to save a few pennies per camera and/or to make sure "budget buyers" didn't get "more than their money's worth."

I don't know if the bad quality of the audio in the K-30 would ever matter to me or not, but it's annoying that there is no way to bypass it if the need ever arose.
07-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CyberManiaK Quote
that's exactly why Vari-ND filters exist If the lighting condition change, you just rotate the filter and it will darken or lighten the scene keeping the same DoF... this is a must if you are recording in bright day at 24fps (1/50) at F2.8.
Surely the vari-ND filter cannot brighten the picture beyond what the aperture allows
If you say, move from a dark room to an even darker room, you would have to know ahead of time that's where you are going.
Then you would have to darken the picture artificially with the Vari-ND filter in the first location. That will force you to change your shutter speed to something slower, or increase your ISO.

Then, when you go to the second location, you would "brighten" the picture by turning the filter ?
That just doesn't seem optimal to me. The quality of the image would be compromised in the first room.
Seems easier just to always shoot wide open, and then adjust ISO depending on location, if you can't change the aperture.

QuoteQuote:
Well maybe you should read the manual because the K-30 does AF while you are recording if you press the shutter
Pentax K-30 Focusing Test in Movie mode - YouTube
Pressing the shutter halfway definitely didn't work for me during video. Pressing it all the way stopped the video.

The video you linked to says to press the AF button to AF during recording. That's what I need to try.

07-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
What you wrote is what I've been thinking since I first heard there is no external-mic port on the K-30. I was just waiting for someone to confirm it. It amazes me that the decision makers at Pentax would "cheapen" the otherwise outstanding K-30 in such a shortsighted and contradictory way. Someone at Pentax had to know how stupid that decision was, yet it happened anyway -- all to save a few pennies per camera and/or to make sure "budget buyers" didn't get "more than their money's worth."

I don't know if the bad quality of the audio in the K-30 would ever matter to me or not, but it's annoying that there is no way to bypass it if the need ever arose.
I think just for the hell of it, I am going to add a 4th camera to my video shoot - my android cell phone . It's only 720p video, but I have a feeling it's going to get better sound quality than the K-30 .... Now how to put that cell phone on a tripod is another question. The only table in the room would be behind my seat playing. Maybe I can actually just set it on top of the piano, but it will probably shake and fall.
07-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #21

Surely the vari-ND filter cannot brighten the picture beyond what the aperture allows
If you say, move from a dark room to an even darker room, you would have to know ahead of time that's where you are going.
Then you would have to darken the picture artificially with the Vari-ND filter in the first location. That will force you to change your shutter speed to something slower, or increase your ISO.

Then, when you go to the second location, you would "brighten" the picture by turning the filter ?
That just doesn't seem optimal to me. The quality of the image would be compromised in the first room.
Seems easier just to always shoot wide open, and then adjust ISO depending on location, if you can't change the aperture.

Pressing the shutter halfway definitely didn't work for me during video. Pressing it all the way stopped the video.

The video you linked to says to press the AF button to AF during recording. That's what I need to try.
Ohh I see, then you want to use the video like a handycam... Shooting video in a DSLR is towards to controlled/planed enviroments, with that professional look. I don't know how familiar are you with this site cinema5D • The forum for dslr filmmakers but take a look, there are some awesome short films.. And with out a doubt the K-30 is going to be able to produce something like those or better, just on the right hands..

Yeah my bad I was thinking on the shutter lol.. but you got the point :P
a couple of post down, is where that video is https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/191552-pentax-k-30-liveview-a...cus-video.html
07-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Good review, I've not had a chance to test my K-30 audio quality but I can do so if you want to compare?

You can indeed AF as you've discovered, not with the shutter button. It's pretty horrible though, i'd never do it with a screwdrive lens (really loud sound of focus) maybe DC/SDM is better. It's also quite slow sometimes hunting past focus unlike in LV. Manual focus I think is just better for this cam.

07-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

- I couldn't get any AF to work after starting video recording. I thought it was possible to get it to refocus on some other object by half press. But it won't do it.
You just have to press the AF/AE-L button.
07-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Oops, forgot to read the second page. :P
07-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

K30 Audio Noise

I think if you make sure that your shake reduction is turned off when you record video you will notice the clicking sound your are hearing is gone.
07-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think just for the hell of it, I am going to add a 4th camera to my video shoot - my android cell phone . It's only 720p video, but I have a feeling it's going to get better sound quality than the K-30 .... Now how to put that cell phone on a tripod is another question. The only table in the room would be behind my seat playing. Maybe I can actually just set it on top of the piano, but it will probably shake and fall.
Fry's may have something similar to this...

http://www.amazon.com/iStabilizer-Mount-Smartphone-Tripod/dp/B0056C4VRK/ref=...e+tripod+mount
07-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-5 grip takes an AA battery adapter but the body cavity does not.

Jack
07-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Now how to put that cell phone on a tripod is another question. The only table in the room would be behind my seat playing. Maybe I can actually just set it on top of the piano, but it will probably shake and fall.
http://www.amazon.com/Breffo-Spiderpodium-Stand-iPhone-Cellphone/dp/B003O1V5CY
07-14-2012, 03:13 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I think if you make sure that your shake reduction is turned off when you record video you will notice the clicking sound your are hearing is gone.
It think this will make a difference -- particularly if the camera is mounted on a tripod, you shouldn't need shake reduction.

I would imagine your best way to record sound in the type setting your talking about is to have a separate external recorder/microphones and then sync the sound with video after the fact.
07-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why do people by DSLR's to record Video???? I wish Pentax would have never did this to there camera's. I never use the video since it will only record 5 min. before it overheats. I bought a great Camcorder (Canon) for my video and I think eveyone should that wants video.