Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Why do people by DSLR's to record Video???? I wish Pentax would have never did this to there camera's. I never use the video since it will only record 5 min. before it overheats. I bought a great Camcorder (Canon) for my video and I think eveyone should that wants video.
I like having the option to shoot videos on my DSLR. It is useful for those moments when my son is doing something that a picture alone just can't capture. That being said, it is for me just a "nice to have", definitely not the main reason for buying one.

07-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why do people by DSLR's to record Video???? I wish Pentax would have never did this to there camera's. I never use the video since it will only record 5 min. before it overheats. I bought a great Camcorder (Canon) for my video and I think eveyone should that wants video.
Who told you it would overheat after 5 minutes!!?

I like to be able to record video to do some creative videography - DSLRs are arguably better for this due to the control ability (vs similar cost video cameras)
07-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #33

Some of us don't want to lug around two devices when one will do. Same reason I got a smart phone to replace a flip phone, an iPod and a P&S.
07-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have a part time job working for the communications office for my university's college of natural science where my main job is photography and secondary is videography (I basically do PR stuff for the college). I am also a full time student in a major that has nothing to do with photography. With my laptop, laptop charger, some notebooks, 2-3 lenses, maybe an external flash, and my DSLR all in my Kata DR-467i, I don't have room for another camcorder.

Secondly, I'm only going to be bringing one tripod if I have to, and I do not want the hassle of swapping the DSLR and the camcorder on the tripod. Plus, I prefer using ball heads, and I am okay with shooting video with a DSLR on a ball head but with a camcorder.

Thirdly, dedicated video gear is much more costly if you are looking for the creative freedom facilitated by fast, quality lenses and a good sensor.

I just ordered a K-30 even though I bought a K-r (my first DSLR) when that came out because I would like to have a DSLR that facilitates better photo IQ and more video capabilities.

07-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #35

I had read exactly the same comment.. When Canon introduced video on the DSLR's, Also when Nikon and Sony did it.. and a few years later a lot of those people now are shooting video with a DSLR and a lot of complains because neither Nikon or Sony did it, like Canon did. You must be glad that Pentax with this K-30 is on the right track regarding that, on this subject Canon has been always the king..

just for your information, the last episode of "House" “House” Season finale shot on Canon 5D was shot with a DSLR, and some other movies aswell..

The video on the DSLR's is the cheapest alternative to have great Noise Control,control depth of field,shot at cinematic style, and be able to use excellent sharp glass, the are other advantages aswell.

Also it's incorporated thinking in a creative way.. not in a handycam style, that you will want to shoot 40 minutes in a row !!
07-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CyberManiaK Quote

just for your information, the last episode of "House" “House” Season finale shot on Canon 5D was shot with a DSLR, and some other movies aswell..

Also, Hollywood film makers used Canon 5D's and 7D's to shoot particular scenes or clips in movies such as certain POV action scenes in The Avengers, the motorcycle chase in Captain America, the racing event in Iron Man 2, the ballet rehearsals in Black Swan,and almost all of Act of Valor.
07-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is a shootout between the 3 cameras . I played and recorded it last friday.

Same performance recorded at different angles by 3 different cameras . All are 1920x1080.

1 : Pentax K-30

2 : Canon T3i

3 : Canon HG21

I also recorded the audio separately with the mikes shown in the video, but have not yet synchronized the audio with any of the videos, as I wanted to also show the audio quality difference between each camera.

The only post-processing I did was trimming the video and whatever Youtube did to compress it. I did not adjust audio levels.

07-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are a few shots taken with the K-30 with the DA 18-250 and Samyang 8mm fisheye.

Last edited by madbrain; 08-30-2013 at 06:10 PM.
07-17-2012, 04:40 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Autofocus in video mode is definitely done with the AF button. I've tested it in store.

I had no issues opening any of the doors on the camera.
07-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I think if you make sure that your shake reduction is turned off when you record video you will notice the clicking sound your are hearing is gone.
It's quite possible I forgot to turn off SR.

However, I had started the video recording with the remote control. I believe that is supposed to turn off the shake reduction automatically. Maybe it doesn't.
07-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
It's quite possible I forgot to turn off SR.

However, I had started the video recording with the remote control. I believe that is supposed to turn off the shake reduction automatically. Maybe it doesn't.
Just played with this some more.

When setting the drive mode to "remote" it automatically disables SR when starting the movie recording, even if I press the shutter button manually rather than use the remote to start shooting.

The menu setting for SR is ignored - and actually is greyed out if you try to change it while in movie mode.

Sadly however, none of this seems to affect the audio noise.

The "washing machine" noise is there as soon as live view is engaged - whether the camera is in movie mode or picture mode, recording or not recording, and whether SR is on or off.

I can actually hear this noise if I put my eat right against the camera.

Unfortunately, the built-in microphone picks up this noise when recording video.

This results in audio that is completely worthless to me.

You can hear it best in quiet parts, for example in the first few seconds of my K-30 video before I start playing.
07-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Autofocus in video mode is definitely done with the AF button. I've tested it in store.
I just tried it. Yes, the AF button does engage AF in the middle of movie recording.

However, the focus point is not shown on the LCD during movie recording.

There is no beep when the focus is locked during movie recording, so I don't know whether it actually locked or not.

Further, there is no magnification, unlike for the initial focus step before recording starts.

Unless I'm missing something, this isn't very useful.
07-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #43
Veteran Member

The tick in audio in Pentax camera output is an encoding issue. Re-encoding the files to a different format should clear it. There are more details about this on the board, but I can't easily find them right now. That should set you on the right track anyway. The K-r does the same thing, and some other models. It is not to do with SR.
07-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
The tick in audio in Pentax camera output is an encoding issue. Re-encoding the files to a different format should clear it. There are more details about this on the board, but I can't easily find them right now. That should set you on the right track anyway. The K-r does the same thing, and some other models. It is not to do with SR.
It is clearly noise from the camera itself that is audible with my ear when Live view is on.
How can this can be an encoding issue ?
07-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #45

3 days with the K30 and I have discovered MadBrain's washing machine noise. As he stated, it has nothing to do with audio encoding because you can hear it whenever the camera is in live view mode (even when not recording video ie. it can be heard when you are in still photo mode with LV on). And of course you can't turn off live view when recording video so you hear the clothes washing in the background of every clip. Some say that it is shake reduction (even when SR is turned off) but why don't I hear it when live view is off?
It really does sound mechanical but someone said that it could be the high voltages used in the display panel that are being picked up by the audio circuitry. But why can I hear it in still capture mode? I should only hear the electrical interference in playback mode when viewing and listening to the video clip.
Someone asked why use a DSLR for video? I have a (M42 mount) 1.4 50mm SMC Takumar on the camera at the moment and the video is absolutely stunning ... even (particularly?) at night in tungsten light. It is beautiful !
Just don't listen to it.