Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #31
Veteran Member
lammie200's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,028
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I haven't used one - I enjoy the thrill of the bid in the closing stages too much...
Me too. I do get a little pissed when I see the bids jump by 100% in the last 15 seconds. But it is still fair I guess.

07-17-2012, 01:35 AM   #32
Veteran Member
kaiserz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NoVa The "burg"
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 899
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Short answer is Yes.

I haven't used one - I enjoy the thrill of the bid in the closing stages too much. Just GOOGLE 'Sniper Bid Ebay Free' and try some of the offerings off the front page.
Interesting! but I guess I'll pass, that program will most likely make me spend more cash hehehe
07-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #33
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Middle of Everywhere
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,168
QuoteOriginally posted by TJWest Quote
Hi,
...with the focus peaking, some of the old manual lenses could be quite attractive! Which one do you recommend ...
Don't do it... Unless you have an MF lens already, or can get one free, I say NONE at this time... Don't waste today's good money on an obsolete design... You are only setting yourself up for disappointment... To learn how to use an MF lens properly takes time. An MF lens can become a huge time vampire.... Save and buy a modern AF Limited lens like the DA 40, or 21. Once you have mastered post processing, your camera kit/gear and have a collection of modern lenses that perfectly fit your needs, only then consider one of these...

...my 2 cents...
07-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #34
Pentaxian
Arjay Bee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bamaga, QLD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,023
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Unless you have an MF lens already, or can get one free, I say NONE at this time...
I have three AF lenses that get used when timing is crucial but very much enjoy the MF lenses in my collection at other times, and enjoying life is what its all about. Besides for the price of the DA21 you can amass quite a number of still useful classics.

Suggestion to OP: Spend a lazy weekend enjoying the 650 plus pages of the Takumar Club thread.

07-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #35
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 87
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Don't do it... Unless you have an MF lens already, or can get one free, I say NONE at this time... Don't waste today's good money on an obsolete design... You are only setting yourself up for disappointment... To learn how to use an MF lens properly takes time. An MF lens can become a huge time vampire.... Save and buy a modern AF Limited lens like the DA 40, or 21. Once you have mastered post processing, your camera kit/gear and have a collection of modern lenses that perfectly fit your needs, only then consider one of these...

...my 2 cents...
Hi,

thanks for your feedback, but I have been around for a while and my first cameras were fully manual, the last one having a light meter built in so which gave me the shutter speed recommendation based on my aperture, but still a manual setting.

So if you will, I learned on a manual 35mm camera and spent ten years taking great pictures with it. While I appreciate AF for what it is worth, I do enjoy spending time setting up a good shot, especially landscapes, and taking my time to focus, mess with the aperture, etc...

I fully intend to have a couple good AF primes for walking around, however, there are those times when I just want to take my time and be taken back to my days in high school photo class. To be honest, those who have never had to manual focus a lens are really missing out in my opinion!
07-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #36
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Middle of Everywhere
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,168
QuoteOriginally posted by TJWest Quote
...my first cameras were fully manual... I learned on a manual 35mm camera and spent ten years taking great pictures with it... there are those times when I just want to take my time and be taken back to my days in high school photo class...
Great! So, what's your point if you know what to expect? Plus, you should be able to answer your own question without any help... Right?

Just curious...

BTW: My short and long answer... Pair an M28/2 and M85/2, if you can find them, to a K-5 and you will be set. Also, search "Mike Cash" on this forum. He's the king of manual IMHO...

Cheers...
07-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #37
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 87
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Great! So, what's your point if you know what to expect? Plus, you should be able to answer your own question without any help... Right?

Just curious...

BTW: My short and long answer... Pair an M28/2 and M85/2, if you can find them, to a K-5 and you will be set. Also, search "Mike Cash" on this forum. He's the king of manual IMHO...

Cheers...
Hi,

the point was never, why should I or shouldn't I buy a manual lens? But rather WHICH one. I am fully aware of the benefits of manual focusing and the drawbacks as well.

thanks for the tip on the M28/2 and the M85/2, I will add then to my shortlist.

Cheers,

TJW
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-30, k-50, lenses, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F-50, My first AF prime! robtcorl Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 02-26-2011 06:54 PM
DA 16-45/4 or 24 prime? repaap Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 01-29-2011 04:20 AM
Going FA Prime. Reportage Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 10-19-2010 09:26 PM
Pentax prime vs Nikon prime ladybug Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 58 09-19-2010 01:03 PM
First prime OmegaKulu Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 16 07-23-2010 07:49 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top