Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about the SMC PENTAX-A 1:1.4 50mm ?
Most of the -A lenses I have are, with age, a little bit lumpy in the smoothness of the aperture ring compared to the metal -M lenses
However the SMC PENTAX-A 1:1.4 50mm here seems better, more like the -M s
So it can be used on dslr as an -M or -A . I almost always use it as a -M

Also I have 2 good copies of the smaller SMC PENTAX-A 1:2 50mm
There are reports by experts that these kit lenses are mediocre however in -A mode these lenses are , in my experience, very good.

On the MX, I prefer the SMC PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm that I purchased new in 1979 , still in top condition, always had a filter on, never touched by even a lens brush and producing great images.

07-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #17

Original Poster
Awesome replies, thank you everyone!

It looks overwhelmingly like the 50mm 1.7! A quick check on ebay in Germany shows quite a few available for around 50-70€. I am just a bit leary buying a used lens from ebay...but will give it a go once I get the camera.

I guess I should have added some more info as to why I posted this. I am a long time hobby photographer coming from Olympus OM 35mm (still have the old kit!). I have been waiting for a long time to jump into DSLR and the K30 has convinced me this is the time to do it. I considered the Olympus OM, but the Pentax is the one for me no doubt.

I am excited about the Manual lenses, because that is what I had on my Olympus, and it will take me back to those years of film, darkrooms, and only having a light meter in the camera. I was also a huge fan of macro tubes on my Olympus, and still have them, so will definitely get some of those as well because I really like to experiment with macro and come up with unique patterns and extreme close ups. One of my favorite macro shots in high school was an 8x10 I made of the model T Ford on the back of the five dollar bill.

As for the kit, I will be getting the 18 -135WR because of the WR and practicality. I live in an area that gets a goodly amount of snow in the winter and has some burly T-storms in the summer, and a wet and rainy fall, so it will come in handy. In addition, I will most probably be getting the 40mm limited pancake, and the Tamron 70mm macro (definitely the lower end prime first, and if the wife allows, the 70mm at the same time). The M lenses are more or less for those days of nostalgia, and a cheap way to just have fun and manually focus testing the focus peaking. I suspect the 18 - 135 will probably only come out when it is pissing rain outside, and even then, only reluctantly.

Cheers!

EDIT thanks Wombat we crossed paths! There are also quite a few 24mm M lenses available on Ebay, I am very optimistic about getting some good older lenses!
07-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #18
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know how it works for non-US customers, but I have purchased about 8 lenses from KEH. Most were their bargain condition--which actually are great condition. Only 1 lens had a problem and they immediately replaced it. And prices are generally below ebay.
07-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by TJWest Quote
It looks overwhelmingly like the 50mm 1.7
A few months ago I drove to a town about 90 miles away to buy old lenses from a photo studio that was going out of business (the guy was retiring). I found several old and slightly older Pentax and Pentax-compatible lenses. I was thrilled to find the 50mm 1.7 among them. The seller quoted me a price of $15, the same as he did with the Pentax 28mm manual lens I bought (I also bought two older-model Tamron AF lenses for higher prices). When I was ready to leave, he put everything in a bag, and I returned to my home 90 miles away. Imagine my extreme disappointment when I found that the 50mm 1.7 wasn't in the bag!!!! I believe I didn't pay for it, but how on earth did it not make it into the bag? It was the one I had wanted most! I thought about calling him, but I figured it would be pointless, so I didn't do it. Now he lives somewhere in Kansas. Why couldn't it have been the 28mm or the old 2x converter that didn't get put in the bag? I could have lived with those losses.

Reading all these glowing testimonials for the 50mm 1.7 has increased my disappointment significantly. I'm sure I will never find that lens for that price again.

07-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got several very good lenses off of ebay and a few not so. Just watch the auctions carefully, I avoid the ones that have many lenses for sale at any time (unless from a reputable firm like KEH). Also shopgoodwill.com is a good source, but they normally go higher than ebay any more. Just be careful there because listing can be totally wrong, hope for good photos. And you might find a deal or two on craigslist, but be very careful there.
07-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I've got several very good lenses off of ebay and a few not so. ... Also shopgoodwill.com. ... And you might find a deal or two on craigslist.
A huge part of my excitement in buying those lenses from that dealer -- in addition to the unbeatable prices -- is that I was able to buy them in person, instead over the internet, where one can never be quite sure of the seller or the product (I'm not the luckiest person in the world).

I watch Craigslist all the time, but I live in a sparsely populated area. The camera section here is either empty most of the time or has only one item for sale (which never seems to get sold; shockingly, there are four items today). Craigslist is how I discovered that the camera dealer was going out of business, but his ad was listed in the "Western South Dakota" Craigslist, even though his studio was in Nebraska.

Last edited by Welfl; 07-15-2012 at 08:21 AM.
07-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
A huge part of my excitement in buying those lenses from that dealer -- in addition to the unbeatable prices -- is that I was able to buy them in person, instead over the internet, where one can never be quite sure of the seller or the product (I'm not the luckiest person in the world).

I watch Craigslist all the time, but I live in a sparsely populated area. The camera section here is either empty most of the time or has only one item for sale (which never seems to get sold; shockingly, there are four items today). Craigslist is how I discovered that the camera dealer was going out of business, but his ad was listed in the "Western South Dakota" Craigslist, even though his studio was in Nebraska.
Yes, it's hard to beat "in person". We've actually got a camera store in town that "carries" Pentax. I've been disappointed every time I've went in. They might have a Pentax camera and I don't think I've seen a new lens. I've asked tro see the used Pentax lenses, but what they have is always the most common lenses at absurd prices, like the M50/2 for $79. Then they don't have decent tripods either. I think they are kept afloat by a small lab and very low overhead.

07-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #23

Original Poster
@Welfl - ouch, that is definitely sad to hear, 15$ would have been a steal for that lens from what I have seen on Ebay. I am looking as well for some used lens shops around here because I like to look before I buy, but alas, Ebay does have a lot of lenses.
07-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Someone just sold a mint ME super + M 50 1.7 with a tripod, bag and some manual zooms for 10.50. . . I'm very much disappointed. I was gonna bid on it because I wanted an ME super. But my friend wanted a good film camera to get into photography and I told her to bid and try and win it... but guess what? she puts in $10 and at the very last minute got beaten by 50 cents(Am like ARE YOU SERIOUS?? I was gonna bid 60 bucks on that thing on the fly and you only placed in 10! ). Anyway what I'm trying to say is, if you know where to look you can certainly get a cheap price for an awesome lens like the M 50 1.7
07-16-2012, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
she puts in $10 and at the very last minute got beaten by 50 cents
Yes but that was possibly a sniping program with a $95 max bid that won it - you see $10.50 but the program would have beaten you at $60.50 -
07-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Yes but that was possibly a sniping program with a $95 max bid that won it - you see $10.50 but the program would have beaten you at $60.50 -
Indeed. but the fact that I wasn't even able to play was just sad for me. I know the guy who won could have put in $95. but to get it for 10.50 w/o contest is just sad. anyway life goes on (: and what is this sniping program that you're talking about sir? is it a program designed to bid for the owner while they're gone?
07-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like many have said the M 50 1.7 is a great lens, the M28 f3.5 is a very sharp little lens (better than the 2.8), the m100 2.8 is also a nice portrait lens - a little long but very good OOF areas wide open. the 200 f4 is a nice compact lomg lens with built in shade. the 100 and 200 can suffer from purple fringing if you shoot something challenging that will enhance it (ie tree branches with bright sunlight hitting them or a white sky in the background)
07-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
...We've actually got a camera store in town that "carries" Pentax. I've been disappointed every time I've went in...
There is a used camera store within walking distance from my office. It is the stereotypical used anything store with loads of ripped apart cameras and lenses of all types laying around everywhere. It seems to be a one man operation. I have walked in a few times and asked if he had any Pentax lenses. Both times he just said "nothing exotic." The first time I asked him to show me what he had. He said for me to look in the cases and ask him if I needed help. I couldn't see anything because they were so crammed full of junk. I am not sure he actually sells anything. But if I wanted to leave my camera with him so he can rip it apart, I am sure he would be happy doing so.

There is also a guy down the street where I live that has opened up an estate sale space. I have gone through his stuff and found a few Pentax lenses that were all scuffed up. Some had fungus inside. All of them were marked at retail-type pricing.

It seems like almost everywhere I go things have been picked over many times. Still find the occassional gem, but usually on evilbay at slightly inflated prices. The marketplace here is the best.
07-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
There is a used camera store within walking distance from my office. It is the stereotypical used anything store with loads of ripped apart cameras and lenses of all types laying around everywhere. It seems to be a one man operation. I have walked in a few times and asked if he had any Pentax lenses. Both times he just said "nothing exotic." The first time I asked him to show me what he had. He said for me to look in the cases and ask him if I needed help. I couldn't see anything because they were so crammed full of junk. I am not sure he actually sells anything. But if I wanted to leave my camera with him so he can rip it apart, I am sure he would be happy doing so.

There is also a guy down the street where I live that has opened up an estate sale space. I have gone through his stuff and found a few Pentax lenses that were all scuffed up. Some had fungus inside. All of them were marked at retail-type pricing.
there are a couple of guys like this here. one is a pawn shop, has a lot of really dust covered stuff (some of which is decent enough if you clean it up) I never buy from him. his prices are higher than some of the silly ebay BIN prices, and he is less than helpful (one young female tog I know who shoots a D3x setup went in to look at some medium format stuff he had in the window (she has a mamiya and a hassy) he refused to show it too her and said it's for pros little girl who know what they are doing go away (he's frequently drunk too) . this is a shop about 3 blocks from the biggest uni photography program in the country. Complete twit. He must own the building, because rent would be higher than his sales in the area (he's also right across the street from the head office of the biggest camera chain in the country lol, so if he had half a brain he could do well)

I hit up a junk shop that is a complete fire trap and really dimly lit and my best buys have come from him. I've never spent more than $20 there, always dusty and missing caps sometimes (but i take a penlight and micro fiber cloth and clean them before making an offer, after trying them on my camera.)
07-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
is it a program designed to bid for the owner while they're gone?
Short answer is Yes.

I haven't used one - I enjoy the thrill of the bid in the closing stages too much. Just GOOGLE 'Sniper Bid Ebay Free' and try some of the offerings off the front page.