Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #211

Took delivery of my new K30 black with 18-55mm WR ( $750 Henrys.com). Haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet weather hasn't been great , the camera is more weather resistant than the owner.. A lot of reviews commented on the camera's looks ( mainly negative ) but I quite like the look of the K30 much better the Canon Rebels I think. The grip is great and the camera feels nice and secure in my big hands. This is sort of my first DSLR and the other contenders were the t4i, D5100, and the A57. Liked the flippy, tilty touchscreen on the Canon, liked the price and image quality on the Nikon D5100 and liked the speed and feature set on the Sony, but in the end the Pentax won out. The pentaprism viewfinder with 100% coverage, dual control wheels, weather sealing, solidness of construction and image quality swung me over. Plus it isn't a Canon or Nikon, nice to have something a little different. Looking forward to lots of fun photography and purchasing my first prime lens, a 35mm, 40mm or 50mm not sure which yet. Pentez.

12-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #212

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentez Quote
Took delivery of my new K30 black with 18-55mm WR ( $750 Henrys.com). Haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet weather hasn't been great , the camera is more weather resistant than the owner.. A lot of reviews commented on the camera's looks ( mainly negative ) but I quite like the look of the K30 much better the Canon Rebels I think. The grip is great and the camera feels nice and secure in my big hands. This is sort of my first DSLR and the other contenders were the t4i, D5100, and the A57. Liked the flippy, tilty touchscreen on the Canon, liked the price and image quality on the Nikon D5100 and liked the speed and feature set on the Sony, but in the end the Pentax won out. The pentaprism viewfinder with 100% coverage, dual control wheels, weather sealing, solidness of construction and image quality swung me over. Plus it isn't a Canon or Nikon, nice to have something a little different. Looking forward to lots of fun photography and purchasing my first prime lens, a 35mm, 40mm or 50mm not sure which yet. Pentez.
Hi there, I also like the tilt out LED, have 3 other cameras with them. I closed the monitor and practiced using it that way to see if I could get used to it. I did on my Canon G12, and decided to go ahead with the K30. I got mine for Christmas early from hubby. London Drugs, excellent price match deal with the 18-135 mm WR lens. I loved it from the minute I held it in my hands. Secure, roomy, decisive. I also looked at the t4i and D5100. The viewfinder is awesome, never had a 100% before. Nice to have something different, Pentax has been around a very long time, plugging away in the background. I went to a tradeshow in Merritt, and there was a world renowned photographer there with a booth, and he said, he bought his wife a Pentax, and she never changed.
12-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #213

QuoteOriginally posted by escapecar Quote
The UPS man just brought a blue K-30 body to my door.

Sadly, I only get to play with it for a day or so (have to make sure it works properly, ya know!) before my wife puts it away until Christmas morning.

I'm going to have to break the news to my K-100D very gently...
Awwww, I wanted Blue, but none available. Hubby gave me mine early, when he saw that I was counting my pennies and checking online for the latest deals. Soooo happy!
12-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
According to B&H, only a couple of pre-orders were shipped out to PF members. I hope the K-30 is in fact more popular than that! Post here if you've got one
I bought one last summer and it is a great camera for the price. Even though I now have the K5IIs, I find myself using the K30 more because of focus peaking and slightly smaller size.

Dale

12-14-2012, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #215

Bought mine a week ago and loving it! Focus peaking is brilliant and has breathed new life into my older 28mm and 50mm primes.

I was out with it on Monday and it started to rain so i stayed out in it taking shots. Never thought id intentionally let my camera get wet. People were giving me weird looks. I felt like saying "Its ok, its a Pentax!" haha

Its ISO performance is excellent. I cant believe how usable 3200 shots are. I rarely took my Kx above 800. Heres and example
12-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Got my K30 Blue with 18-55 WR about a week ago but haven't been able to get out with it yet. For informational purposes, my last SLR was a Minolta XG-1! I really loved that camera but lent it to the daughter of a wonderful woman because she (the daughter) was taking a High School photography class and some creep (ostensibly, a "friend") walked out the door with it and was never heard from again. So 30 years later (and 4 or 5 Pentax or Canon point-and-shoot cameras later) I decided to get back into SLR photography and decided that I had been best served by Pentax in the intervening years so...
I have found this to be an informative an pretty excellent forum for Pentax users (kind of like attendees to the midnight showing of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show") but let's face it: how much can you cover in a couple of days online in you spare time?
Going to finish with all the suggestions for "setup" this weekend and, hopefully, get out and tickle some SD memory! Thanks for being there - "Let's do the Timewarp Again!"

Bodiebadman
12-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #217

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bodiebadman Quote
Got my K30 Blue with 18-55 WR about a week ago but haven't been able to get out with it yet. For informational purposes, my last SLR was a Minolta XG-1! I really loved that camera but lent it to the daughter of a wonderful woman because she (the daughter) was taking a High School photography class and some creep (ostensibly, a "friend") walked out the door with it and was never heard from again. So 30 years later (and 4 or 5 Pentax or Canon point-and-shoot cameras later) I decided to get back into SLR photography and decided that I had been best served by Pentax in the intervening years so...
I have found this to be an informative an pretty excellent forum for Pentax users (kind of like attendees to the midnight showing of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show") but let's face it: how much can you cover in a couple of days online in you spare time?
Going to finish with all the suggestions for "setup" this weekend and, hopefully, get out and tickle some SD memory! Thanks for being there - "Let's do the Timewarp Again!"

Bodiebadman
XG-1 ?!? LOL... I traded one of these (plus a 45mm Minolta prime) in on the purchase of a K-r about 18 months ago! (BTW... the K-r has been "sold" to my son so I could trade up to a K-30). The second XG-1 body is on my son's bedroom wall as "art"... the local camera store didn't want to take it in trade because they figured one was enough.

Loved those cameras! Solid, functional... truly a classic! Gotta admit though... the costs of "developing and printing" with the new digi's are a lot easier to swallow!

12-15-2012, 03:56 AM   #218

I'll be picking mine up tomorrow, Sunday. Please share any insights? I just upgraded from a kx I had for a year to train on. Glad to join the club!
12-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #219
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Upgraded from a K-x a couple weeks ago. I loved my K-x and was never disappointed after 2 plus years with it but must say that I love my K-30 even more. Faster AF, better high ISO which I never thought was possible, manual peeking is great and expanded tracking really works well. WR and focus confirmation in the VF, increased dpi in the LCD and 100% Pentaprism. I could go on and on but you get the pic. The K-x was great to me but the K-30 is light years ahead of it.I have found absoluetly nothing wrong and everything right with my new Pentax.
12-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #220

I have 2 K30 +18-135. One is to replace old my son KX. The another one is for my wife to learn how to take photo. I still use KX.
12-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #221

A nice shiny white K30 + 18-55WR arrived in the mail yesterday (bought from a local online store). Haven't had time to play yet, but hoping to get my head around it well enough to take some great photos of the Northern Lights (weather permitting) when I head to northern Norway later this week for Christmas with the in-laws.
12-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #222
Forum Member

Happy to join the K-30 club here. Black K-30 with kit lens. Happy with performance so far.
Need some prime lens with low aperture for low light work.
12-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #223
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Took delivery of my new K30 body (black) on 14th December. Have just tried it out in the last few days. Weather here in the UK is diabolical at the moment. It just won't stop raining!

Although the K30 is WR, non of my lenses are! So far I'm pleased with the results having moved up from a K100D.
12-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #224

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bought the K30 from the Pentax Webstore, Singapore. My very first DSLR.
12-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #225

QuoteOriginally posted by gramar Quote
Took delivery of my new K30 body (black) on 14th December. Have just tried it out in the last few days. Weather here in the UK is diabolical at the moment. It just won't stop raining!

Although the K30 is WR, non of my lenses are! So far I'm pleased with the results having moved up from a K100D.
You moved up from a K100D , I move from Ist Dl to K-x then K30.
You will enjoy with live view to see and arrange picture before take shutter.
Continuous 6 frame/sec to keep lively emotion.
More acuracy light exposeure K30 than K-x, no need to take raw for correct light.
And many feature upgrade, you will find from K30.
Good luck.